Re: [S-R] Hnilcik, Slovakia

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
      Wow, thanks, loved the photographs -- I'm all for posting more and more, can't wait for Capt to return with his.

      Caye

      Kevin Fosko <krf1266@...> wrote:
      I enjoyed looking at your pictures. My relatives are from Zlata Idka near Kosice. My wife and I hope to go there someday. I wonder if the two men in the bar who said the names of the churches were 'the church' and 'the other church' were being half-serious.

      My ancestor's church in Zlata Idka, which is a small town, is referenced as Roman Catholic Church, Zlata Idka in the LDS records. I haven't been able to come up with a name either.

      Has anyone else been able to find a name for a church in a small town?

      Kevin

      cathskap <cathskap@...> wrote:
      My husband's maternal grandparents came from the Spisska Nova Ves
      area. His grandfather Mahal Geletko was born October 22, 1852, in
      Hnilcik.

      We went to Hnilcik in June and took pictures:
      http://homepage.mac.com/rskapura1/hnilcik/index.html

      I'd like to hear from anyone with Lesko, Torisky, or Geletko
      relatives from this area.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Kevin and Jennifer Fosko3 Elmcroft CourtRockville, MD 20850(301) 527-1547krf1266@...

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Catherine Skapura
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
        Well, they did chuckle just after they said "the other
        church," but I think they didn't actually know the
        names. We went back later with a taxi driver who went
        into one of the churches and asked a woman who was
        praying there, what the name of the church was. I
        wrote it down, but couldn't find the piece of paper
        when we got home.

        I have ordered films from a local LDS Family center,
        and hope to get more information.

        Catherine

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • VivHy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
          In a message dated 8/8/2003 12:53:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          krf1266@... writes:

          > Has anyone else been able to find a name for a church in a small town?

          You have to ask the priest when you get there....really strange but
          true..only one I saw with a name on it was St. Alzbeta...which is the cathedral in
          Kosice.

          There was no name in the front of the church in Kavecany...so I had to ask
          Fr. Ondrej.

          Typically in the villages and small towns there is only one church...of each
          denomination....but at least one Catholic.

          Any questions about the area?

          Vivian

        • Gil K.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
            The Greek Catholic Church in Sarriske Jastrabie was called "The Parish Church" by all the folks in the village. When I asked the Pastor for the name he told me it was, in English, The Church of the Transfiguration of our Lord and Saviour.

            The parish registers refer to the Church as the Greek Catholic Parish of Sarisske Jastrabie.

            Gil K.

            --- Kevin Fosko <krf1266@...> wrote:
            > I enjoyed looking at your pictures. My relatives
            > are from Zlata Idka near Kosice. My wife and I hope
            > to go there someday. I wonder if the two men in the
            > bar who said the names of the churches were 'the
            > church' and 'the other church' were being
            > half-serious.
            >
            > My ancestor's church in Zlata Idka, which is a small
            > town, is referenced as Roman Catholic Church, Zlata
            > Idka in the LDS records. I haven't been able to
            > come up with a name either.
            >
            > Has anyone else been able to find a name for a
            > church in a small town?
            >
            > Kevin

          • John M,
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
              At 12:16 AM 8/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
              >In a message dated 8/8/2003 12:53:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              >krf1266@... writes:
              >
              > > Has anyone else been able to find a name for a church in a small town?
              > >
              >You have to ask the priest when you get there....really strange but
              >true..only one I saw with a name on it was St. Alzbeta...which is the
              >cathedral in
              >Kosice.
              >
              >There was no name in the front of the church in Kavecany...so I had to ask
              >Fr. Ondrej.
              >
              >Typically in the villages and small towns there is only one church...of each
              >denomination....but at least one Catholic.
              >
              >Any questions about the area?
              >
              >Vivian

              The GC church names and other information can be found in the SCHEMATIZMUS

              http://www.grkatpo.sk/schematizmus/?zobrazit=zoznam

              You might try searching http://www.rcc.sk/ to see if you could get
              equivalent information.

              I didn't have time to check. I'll be away from a computer for a few days.

              John M.