Re: A newbie asks............

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane T <mzplum_2000@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > I've just joined this group......hoping to learn something about my
      ancestry on my paternal grandfather's side. The only info we have
      > on him is his name, Frank (or Franz/Ferenc) Xavier Klipsch, born
      > November 19, 1875, in Weisskirchen/Fehertemplom/Bela Crkva, in
      > what was then part of Hungary. He came to the U.S., to St. Louis,
      > Missouri, around 1890. Am not sure of exact year or date, but the
      > 1900 census says he was "Na" in 1890....am assuming that means
      > he was naturalized that year. As far as we know, from what my mom
      > and her siblings told us, years ago, he came here alone. Mom and
      > her siblings are all gone now, so we have no one who knows any more
      > than what I've just stated.
      >
      > I've been going through the ship passenger lists, among other
      things,
      > but have had no success in finding any Klipsch, other than his
      younger
      > brother, Wilhelm, who arrived at Ellis Island in 1901. By that
      time, my
      > grandfather was married, with several children, in St. Louis.
      >
      > I know the name Klipsch is of German origin, and figure Grandpa's
      > ancestors were Germans who settled in the Banat region in the
      1700's,
      > so I checked into the "Germans to America" books (years 1888 -
      1891),
      > but found nothing on the name of Klipsch.
      >
      > I have the name and address of a lady in Germany that is working on
      > a "Familybook" of the town, but unfortunately, I don't speak or
      write German. Two translators said they would translate my letter for
      me, but then didn't.

      > If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most
      appreciative. I just don't know where to go from here.

      > Thanks, and God bless.
      >
      > Diane Tilley

      In German the letter sch is pron. sh.

      given names

      Francis/Frank (E)
      Franz (G)
      Ferenc (H)

      XAVIER m English, French, Portuguese
      Pronounced: ZAY-vee-ur (English), ZAY-vyur (English), ig-ZAY-vee-ur
      (English), za-VYAY (French)
      Derived from the Basque place name Etxabier meaning "the new house".
      Saint Francis Xavier was the Jesuit priest who popularized the name.
      Xavar (G)

      There were German settlements located in Upper Hungary (Slovakia)
      but you want Danube Swabians in former country of Yugoslavia
      (Croatia)

      Weißkirchen (meaning 'white church')

      Village Names:

      German: Weißkirchen
      Official: Bela Crkva
      Hungarian: Fehértemplom (meaning 'white church')
      Spelling and/or dialect variants:

      Location:

      Country: Yugoslavia
      60km E of Pantschowa
      Postal Code: 26340
      Railroad station:

      Population:

      1931: 5094 Germans

      Genealogical Records:

      Village name in FHL records: Weisskirchen, Fehertemplom
      Church records available at FHL: Christenings 1723-1822,
      Marriages 1724-1817, Deaths 1724-1831
      FHL Microfilm Nr. 0858411, 0858412; also 3 duplicate films
      (1271634, 1271635, 127636) which, though pages are
      out of order, may contain more information

      Miscellaneous:

      Founded: by Germans 1718, another group in 1763
      Bibliography
      Location of a a prisoner camp for Germans held by Partisans
      during World War II.

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~romban/

      In 1901, Wilhelm (William), age 1?, went to his brother's ?
      address in St. Louis MO.
      Wilhelm's Last Residence was Fehértemplon (white church in Hungarian)

      The online Ellis Island Records cover only the period 1892-1924.

      Frank Kurcina

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
        Frank offers you some great resources. Take them up.

        To close out another issue:
        Ellis Island online only has records for 1892 to 1924, so that precludes
        the use of this database.

        Looking for pre-1892 USA immigrants is problematic as there is no index
        to assist. If you could nail down a date, you could access the manifest
        films for that date and look through them the old fashioned way, one by
        one.

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • hotrodkitty2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2003
          Hello, I'm also new to this group. My grandfather was from
          Fehertemplom also. Try going to Surname Navigator and typing in the
          last name. It brought up quite a few windows with the Klipsch on
          it. You might also try the LDS site and look up locations. They
          have church records for 'Hungary, Temes, Fehértemplom-Church
          Records', langurage is German, 1 roll of microfilm. The film number
          is 'FHL INTL Film [1454452 Item 9]. There is also 2 films in Hung.,
          Germ. & Latin; (Taufen 1723-1822 Heiraten 1724-1817 Tote 1724-1727 -
          FHL INTL Film [858411] and Tote 1728-1831 - FHL INTL Film [858412].
          You can print the pages if you like (with the film numbers on them.)
          I haven't ordered any films yet. My husband had a stroke in April
          just before I was going to order some in. He's back to work now, so
          I will have a little time to play catch up on my genealogy.
          Good Luck
          Paula Knebler