Re: new

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
      <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
      > hi i am jeanann and i'm new to this list. i am looking
      > for information about my great gradparents, froney
      > stranc married to stephan yellenburger(last name
      > spelled by how my mother said it) and any information
      > about my grandfather andres rak. i have been told they
      > are from austria, hungary chez., poland, yugoslavia.
      > at this point i don't no. i have checked ellis island,
      > ancestry.com and genealogy there is no record of any
      > of these people. some of the towns my mother has
      > mentiond are lacarak,mikitovich,macvanska, and hesse.
      > if anyone no's of these people or towns maybe you can
      > help or direct me in the right direction. thanks for
      > letting me be part of your group. jeanann

      jeanann

      In Hungarian, German, and Slavic languages the letter J is pron. Y.
      Jugoslavija = Yugoslavia

      Jellenburger ? looks like a German surname spelling.
      Hesse is probably Hesse- a region located in SW Germany.
      Perhaps a Donauschwaben surname ?

      http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/dsslawon.html

      Lacarak is located 47 miles NNW of Beograd (Belgrade)
      Serbia.
      Macvanska Mitrovica is located 45 miles NNW of Belgrade.
      The Sava River is located close by.

      There was a war fought in former Yugoslavia in the 1990s between
      Croatia and Serbia.
      NATO and US forces bombed Serbia.

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Jak sie masz ? Polish

      Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)

      K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
      (kahk steh)

      K A K /| E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
      (k ah k d ye l a)

      listowner Croatia-L Mailing List
      http://rootsweb.com/~hrvwgw/mailing.htm

      Frank Kurcina
      > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
        At 10:06 PM 8/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >hi sorry to bother you again but my grandmother
        >magdalena yellenburger(?) was married to a older man
        >who was a soldier and he died in a war. she was born
        >in 1883 or 1884

        Frank and Bill covered most of your questions. Based on your grandmothers'
        age, her husband may have died in the Balkan wars 1912-1913 or WWI 1914-1918.

        John M.
      • Jeanann Jameson
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
          hi i just wanted to say thank-you for this
          information. i will let you no what i find out.jeanann

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Jeanann Jameson
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
            Frank thanks for all the information i have some new
            directions to go. i went back to ellis island and i
            still can't find anything close to my grandmothers
            name but a close match for my grandfather (Rak) came
            up i was going by dates of his birth anyhow it said he
            came from Nostovicha i don't no where that is but that
            name set some bell off i have heard it a few times
            before several years ago but thats ok got some more
            checking to do. you mentioned froney could be a nick
            name what would veronica be in german? i believe she
            is the one from hesse. thanks for your help. jeanann

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Jeanann Jameson
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2003
              hi i just talked to my older brother he has been
              checking out stuff also. he says my grandfather Andras
              RAk is from Lacarak,Hungary and my grandmother is from
              Mitrovica Austria and they were only a few miles
              apart. i have another question. does anyone no what
              the name for Veronica is German, Hungarian, Slovakian
              whatever. anyhow you have been a great help i do want
              to thank all of you. jeanann
              --- Paul Yurtinus <elmerville2@...> wrote:
              > Jeanann,
              >
              > Golly, it would be so much easier if you knew the
              > Village name from which your ancestors came.
              > There are people on this site that have access to
              > maps from old Austria-Hungary which could help.
              > I'll check some of the records available - get back
              > to the forum.
              >
              > Paul
              >
              > Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
              > hi i am jeanann and i'm new to this list. i am
              > looking
              > for information about my great gradparents, froney
              > stranc married to stephan yellenburger(last name
              > spelled by how my mother said it) and any
              > information
              > about my grandfather andres rak. i have been told
              > they
              > are from austria, hungary chez., poland, yugoslavia.
              > at this point i don't no. i have checked ellis
              > island,
              > ancestry.com and genealogy there is no record of any
              > of these people. some of the towns my mother has
              > mentiond are lacarak,mikitovich,macvanska, and
              > hesse.
              > if anyone no's of these people or towns maybe you
              > can
              > help or direct me in the right direction. thanks for
              > letting me be part of your group. jeanann

              > send blank email to

              > Terms of Service.

              > removed]

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • John M,
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2003
                At 08:34 PM 8/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                >hi i just talked to my older brother he has been
                >checking out stuff also. he says my grandfather Andras
                >RAk is from Lacarak,Hungary and my grandmother is from
                >Mitrovica Austria and they were only a few miles
                >apart. i have another question. does anyone no what
                >the name for Veronica is German, Hungarian, Slovakian
                >whatever. anyhow you have been a great help i do want
                >to thank all of you. jeanann

                ENGLISH Czech. French German Hungarian Italian Polish
                Slovakian Russian
                Veronica Veronika Berenice Veronike . .
                Nika Verona .
                Berenice Veronique
                Wera Veronika
                Bernice
                Weronika Veronka

                John M
              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 2003
                  German short for Veronica is Vroni , read Frony.
                  Vladimir

                  > hi i just talked to my older brother he has been
                  > checking out stuff also. he says my grandfather Andras
                  > RAk is from Lacarak,Hungary and my grandmother is from
                  > Mitrovica Austria and they were only a few miles
                  > apart. i have another question. does anyone no what
                  > the name for Veronica is German, Hungarian, Slovakian
                  > whatever. anyhow you have been a great help i do want
                  > to thank all of you. jeanann
                  > --- Paul Yurtinus <elmerville2@...> wrote:
                  > > Jeanann,
                  > >
                  > > Golly, it would be so much easier if you knew the
                  > > Village name from which your ancestors came.
                  > > There are people on this site that have access to
                  > > maps from old Austria-Hungary which could help.
                  > > I'll check some of the records available - get back
                  > > to the forum.
                  > >
                  > > Paul
                  > >
                  > > Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
                  > > hi i am jeanann and i'm new to this list. i am
                  > > looking
                  > > for information about my great gradparents, froney
                  > > stranc married to stephan yellenburger(last name
                  > > spelled by how my mother said it) and any
                  > > information
                  > > about my grandfather andres rak. i have been told
                  > > they
                  > > are from austria, hungary chez., poland, yugoslavia.
                  > > at this point i don't no. i have checked ellis
                  > > island,
                  > > ancestry.com and genealogy there is no record of any
                  > > of these people. some of the towns my mother has
                  > > mentiond are lacarak,mikitovich,macvanska, and
                  > > hesse.
                  > > if anyone no's of these people or towns maybe you
                  > > can
                  > > help or direct me in the right direction. thanks for
                  > > letting me be part of your group. jeanann

                  > > send blank email to

                  > > Terms of Service.

                  > > removed]

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                    <jjeanann2000@y...> wrote:
                    > hi i just talked to my older brother he has been
                    > checking out stuff also. he says my grandfather Andras
                    > RAk is from Lacarak,Hungary and my grandmother is from
                    > Mitrovica Austria and they were only a few miles
                    > apart. i have another question. does anyone no what
                    > the name for Veronica is German, Hungarian, Slovakian
                    > whatever. anyhow you have been a great help i do want
                    > to thank all of you. jeanann
                    > --- Paul Yurtinus <elmerville2@y...> wrote:

                    As Bill Tarkulich wrote Lacarak and Macvanska Mitrovica are located in
                    Serbia not Slovakia.

                    John M described various versions of first name Veronica.
                    Vroni (Froney) is also a German diminutive form of Veronica/Veronika
                    which was Jeanann's ancestor's name.

                    Andrew (English)
                    András (Hungarian)
                    Andreas (German)
                    Andrej/Ondrej (Slovak)
                    Andrej (Czech, Slovene)
                    Andrija (Croatian/Serbian)

                    Frank K

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                      hi just wanted to say thank-you. jeanann

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                        thank-you all of you have been alot of help jeanann

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                          thank-ou john. jeanann

                          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com