Re: RAAB form the village Hniezdne

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tina Woods <tinanwoods@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all!
      > My name is Tina, and I am new to this listserve. I am researching
      the surname
      > RAAB form the village Hniezdne, Slovakia.

      ahoj Tina

      Hniezdne is located 179 miles ENE of Bratislava near okres Stará
      L'ubovn^a, Slovakia.
      Before the term z^upa (county) was discontinued in Slovakia in
      1923, Hniezdne was located in Spis^ská (grammatical gender form
      of Spis^) county.

      Interesting region.
      Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
      Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
      centuries.

      Raab was a German surname.
      There are 2,600+ surnames Raab listed in gedcom files.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists a Emil and Karol Raab under
      Hniezdne and a Raab under Stará L'ubovn^a.

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1624-1904) for
      Gn^azdá (also spelled Hniezdne), Slovensko, Czechoslovakia, formerly
      known as Gnézda, Szepes megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian and Slovak.

      film #
      1739195
      1739196