Re: [S-R] RAAB form the village Hniezdne/Kniesen

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2003
      Tina,

      The small town of Kniesen was founded in 1286 by Germans as Knysen. The ethnic German population dwindled during the long mortgage to Poland (together with Alt-Lublau and Pudlein--sorry, I don't know the Slovak names off-hand), but in 1930, of 1,042 inhabitants, 566 still were German in the Census. I described the history of the Carpathian Germans in http://www.geocities.com/ycrtmr/eisdorf.htm

      Two old Knieseners have reminisced about their hometown before the end of the local German population in 1945-47, Rudolf Goellner in the monthly Karpatenpost July 1956, p. 1-2, and Wilhelm Nigriny in that of Sept. 1997, p. 5. In the monthly Karpatenblatt there is an article in the issue of April 2000. I can send you a copy of these if desired, but the April 2000 one is also on the Internet at
      http://www.geocities.com/karpatenblatt/April7.html.

      Other sources for Carpathian German ancestry are:
      http://www.karpatendeutsche.de/

      http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/slovak-d.html

      In such small cities/villages, many people were related in one way or the other (in my case, in Eisdorf/Zakovce, and Zipser Bela/Spisska Bela), I find out that after a few generations, I seem to have the same ancestors over and over again, with marriages among 2nd and 3rd cousins quite frequent among Lutherans. I corresponded in 2002 with a Ginny Schulze whose ancestors came to the US from Kniesen in the 1890s, and if you are interested could put you in touch with her.

      Sincerely

      Thomas Reimer

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2003
        Actually, Ginny Schulze also is on Slovak Roots, with Raab ancestors from Kniesen, messages 5601 etc.

        Thomas