RAAB form the village Hniezdne

  • Tina Woods
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29 9:28 PM
      Hello all!
      My name is Tina, and I am new to this listserve. I am researching the surname
      RAAB form the village Hniezdne, Slovakia.

      According to ship manifests, my grandmother Stefania (Stephanie) RAAB
      came to the USA (ultimately to Philadelphia PA) through Ellis Island
      in 1904, as did her siblings Maria (1900), Ferdinand (1905), Ludmilla
      (1921) and Josef (1922). All list the village Gnesda (Guezda, Gniazda,
      Gnezda etc.) in Hungary or Czechoslovakia (after 1920) as their place
      of origin/birth. According to information I have read in this list-
      serve and the TARG website, this is a Tatra area village now known as
      Hniezdne which is currently in Slovakia.

      On the ship manifests they identify Josef Raab as thier father
      and the 1921 &1922 manifests list 188 Spisska Zupa, CZ. SL. as his
      address. Family legend has it that their mother's name was Victoria (M???)

      I have researched my grandmother and her siblings in the USA through
      cencus documents, but I am hoping to begin research of them in Europe.
      I am awaiting the 3 microfilm records from the LDS family history center
      I have seen identified here and at the TARG website which apparently
      have parrish records for this village.

      I would appreciate any other advice on research in this village, or any
      leads on this surname/family group in this region of Europe. Incidentally, I cannot
      find Ludmilla in any cencus, birth, death or marraige records (ancestry.com and genealogy.com) in the US after her passage through Ellis Island, so any news of her in America would
      be welcome.

      Also, any reccomendations on reading for background information on this
      village/municipality/region, particulary leading up to and including
      the time of their immigration would be appreciated.

      I have appreciated your posts to date, and look forward to contributing.

      Many Thanks
      Tina Woods

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30 5:53 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tina Woods <tinanwoods@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello all!
        > My name is Tina, and I am new to this listserve. I am researching
        the surname
        > RAAB form the village Hniezdne, Slovakia.

        ahoj Tina

        Hniezdne is located 179 miles ENE of Bratislava near okres Stará
        L'ubovn^a, Slovakia.
        Before the term z^upa (county) was discontinued in Slovakia in
        1923, Hniezdne was located in Spis^ská (grammatical gender form
        of Spis^) county.

        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Raab was a German surname.
        There are 2,600+ surnames Raab listed in gedcom files.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists a Emil and Karol Raab under
        Hniezdne and a Raab under Stará L'ubovn^a.

        The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1624-1904) for
        Gn^azdá (also spelled Hniezdne), Slovensko, Czechoslovakia, formerly
        known as Gnézda, Szepes megye (county), Hungary.
        Text in Latin, Hungarian and Slovak.

        film #
        1739195
        1739196
        1739197

        Frank K
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30 6:22 AM
          Hello Tina and welcome to the list. You're off to a fine start, and
          lucky you have the film resources available. You'll make good progress.

          Regarding "188 Spisska Zupa, CZ. SL" This is an incomplete address, the
          village name is omitted. "Zupa" means "region" or district, or perhaps
          county, depending on the source's intent. "Spisska Zupa" is literally
          "Spis region". I suspect the "188" is a house number. It's quite
          possible that he is from is also GNEZDA, given all the corroborating
          evidence you've gathered thus far.

          I can't tell you a much about the Tatra area as it's beyond my sphere of
          research (Northeast/Zemplin county). However, I do have some general
          reference material and am happy to extract what I have for you:
          In the 1910 Magyar census, the village of GNEZDA, located in Szepes
          county, Olubloi district, had 1080 residents comprised as follows:
          39 Magyar (Hungarian)
          736 Germans
          286 Slovaks
          Religion:
          936 Roman Catholic
          89 Greek Catholic
          52 Jewish

          It doesn't appear that the FHL has the 1869 census records for that
          village available yet, which would have made for another good source.
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm

          For background info, you may want to consider researching neighboring
          towns. If you have not already done so, go to the map server
          http://mapy.atlas.sk and enter IHniezdne. Many times a collective
          history of several regional villages is available (most often not on the
          web and most often in a native language.) You'll probably get your
          films before you dig out the historical info. You'll probably focus on
          Stara Lubovna for historical information. As is often the case, larger
          villages have greater influence on the minors.
          A quick search of www.google.com (in case you haven't) reveals:

          http://members.tripod.com/~mike3jack/region.htm
          http://www.unipo.sk/SARIS/lubovnaa.htm
          http://www.orthodox.sk/academy/Help/StaraLubovnaeng.htm

          someone else researching your village)
          and another
          http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/surnames.laczko/1

          http://www.ngw.nl/int/slo/h/hniezdne.htm

          and if you really have time on your hands:
          http://www.hosmanek.com/slovak/

          Good Luck to you. Let us know what you find.
          Bill Tarkulich

[...]

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/