Re: [S-R] 1900 U.S. Census

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
      At 06:49 PM 7/27/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
      >census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
      >index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index
      >is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
      >was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.
      >The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
      >and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that
      >site. Am I missing something?
      >
      >Ron

      Ron,

      http://www.ancestry.com/search/io/choosest.asp?c=4

      This site seems to indicate it can be browsed on line. I'm not a member so
      I couldn't gain access and can't confirm if it can be browsed online. You
      may be able to follow through if you are.

      John M.
    • Curtis Bochanyin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
        Ron,
        I have subscription access to an online index and text of the 1900
        U.S. census. If you will supply the name, and state (and locality
        if known) I will be happy to look it up for you and send you the
        results.

        Curt B.

        -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
        wrote:
        > I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
        > census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search
        the
        > index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900
        > is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if
        there
        > was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index
        online.
        > The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order
        books
        > and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search
        on that
        > site. Am I missing something?
        >
        > Ron
        >
        > Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:
        >
        > > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you
        > > will find soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
        > >
        > > That should help you
        > >

        > > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...> wrote:
        > > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
        > > > on the
        > > > internet, for at least some states?
        > > >
        > > > Ron

        > > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
        705040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
        ult?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

        email
        > > to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Service

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
          If you mean a full-text, indexed search of all US Census data, there is
          no public entity that offers it for free. As you note, ancestry has
          made it available for a fee. No, you are not missing anything. In
          fact, very, very few records of interest to genealogists have been
          digitized (other than their index) with the major exception of
          www.ellisisland.com

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
          census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
          index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index

          is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
          was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.

          The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
          and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that

          site. Am I missing something?

          Ron

          Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:

          > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you will find
          > soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
          >
          > That should help you
          >

          > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@...> wrote:
          > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
          > > on the
          > > internet, for at least some states?
          > >
          > > Ron

          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com