Re: [S-R] 1900 U.S. Census

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
      I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
      census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
      index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index
      is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
      was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.
      The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
      and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that
      site. Am I missing something?

      Ron

      Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:

      > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you
      > will find soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
      >
      > That should help you
      >

      > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@...> wrote:
      > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
      > > on the
      > > internet, for at least some states?
      > >
      > > Ron

      > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
        At 06:49 PM 7/27/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
        >census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
        >index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index
        >is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
        >was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.
        >The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
        >and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that
        >site. Am I missing something?
        >
        >Ron

        Ron,

        http://www.ancestry.com/search/io/choosest.asp?c=4

        This site seems to indicate it can be browsed on line. I'm not a member so
        I couldn't gain access and can't confirm if it can be browsed online. You
        may be able to follow through if you are.

        John M.
      • Curtis Bochanyin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
          Ron,
          I have subscription access to an online index and text of the 1900
          U.S. census. If you will supply the name, and state (and locality
          if known) I will be happy to look it up for you and send you the
          results.

          Curt B.

          -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
          wrote:
          > I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
          > census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search
          the
          > index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900
          > is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if
          there
          > was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index
          online.
          > The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order
          books
          > and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search
          on that
          > site. Am I missing something?
          >
          > Ron
          >
          > Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:
          >
          > > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you
          > > will find soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
          > >
          > > That should help you
          > >

          > > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...> wrote:
          > > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
          > > > on the
          > > > internet, for at least some states?
          > > >
          > > > Ron

          > > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
          705040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
          ult?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

          email
          > > to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Service

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
            If you mean a full-text, indexed search of all US Census data, there is
            no public entity that offers it for free. As you note, ancestry has
            made it available for a fee. No, you are not missing anything. In
            fact, very, very few records of interest to genealogists have been
            digitized (other than their index) with the major exception of
            www.ellisisland.com

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
            census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
            index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index

            is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
            was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.

            The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
            and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that

            site. Am I missing something?

            Ron

            Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:

            > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you will find
            > soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
            >
            > That should help you
            >

            > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@...> wrote:
            > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
            > > on the
            > > internet, for at least some states?
            > >
            > > Ron

            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com