1900 U.S. Census

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
      Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available on the
      internet, for at least some states?

      Ron
    • Darrell & Linda Roberts
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
        Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you
        will find soundex info there. www.nara.gov/

        That should help you

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
          I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
          census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
          index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index
          is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
          was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.
          The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
          and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that
          site. Am I missing something?

          Ron

          Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:

          > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you
          > will find soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
          >
          > That should help you
          >

          > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@...> wrote:
          > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
          > > on the
          > > internet, for at least some states?
          > >
          > > Ron

          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • John M,
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
            At 06:49 PM 7/27/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            >I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
            >census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
            >index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index
            >is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
            >was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.
            >The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
            >and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that
            >site. Am I missing something?
            >
            >Ron

            Ron,

            http://www.ancestry.com/search/io/choosest.asp?c=4

            This site seems to indicate it can be browsed on line. I'm not a member so
            I couldn't gain access and can't confirm if it can be browsed online. You
            may be able to follow through if you are.

            John M.
          • Curtis Bochanyin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
              Ron,
              I have subscription access to an online index and text of the 1900
              U.S. census. If you will supply the name, and state (and locality
              if known) I will be happy to look it up for you and send you the
              results.

              Curt B.

              -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
              wrote:
              > I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
              > census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search
              the
              > index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900
              > is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if
              there
              > was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index
              online.
              > The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order
              books
              > and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search
              on that
              > site. Am I missing something?
              >
              > Ron
              >
              > Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:
              >
              > > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you
              > > will find soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
              > >
              > > That should help you
              > >

              > > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...> wrote:
              > > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
              > > > on the
              > > > internet, for at least some states?
              > > >
              > > > Ron

              > > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
              705040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
              ult?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

              email
              > > to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Service

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 27, 2003
                If you mean a full-text, indexed search of all US Census data, there is
                no public entity that offers it for free. As you note, ancestry has
                made it available for a fee. No, you are not missing anything. In
                fact, very, very few records of interest to genealogists have been
                digitized (other than their index) with the major exception of
                www.ellisisland.com

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                I am looking for a way to search the index or soundex for the 1900
                census online. With my subscription to ancestry.com, I can search the
                index online for several census years, but not for 1900. The 1900 index

                is not available on the ancestry.com service. I was wondering if there
                was another service that allows searching the 1900 census index online.

                The www.nara.gov site tells how to use soundex, and how to order books
                and microfilm, but I could not find a way to do an online search on that

                site. Am I missing something?

                Ron

                Darrell & Linda Roberts wrote:

                > Ron, if you go to the website for the National Arcives you will find
                > soundex info there. www.nara.gov/
                >
                > That should help you
                >

                > --- Ron Milliken <rmilliken@...> wrote:
                > > Is an index or soundex to the 1900 U.S. Census available
                > > on the
                > > internet, for at least some states?
                > >
                > > Ron

                > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com