Re: Village name Slanica

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24 7:09 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Leandro" <leandrovangel@c...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Sir/Madam,
      >
      > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am
      writing from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is
      Vangel with `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of
      my grandfather was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to
      Argentina around 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called
      `Slanica´ into a region called `Zupra Povaska´.
      > Well, I`ve found a village called
      `Slanica´ (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´
      and `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is
      the same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer.
      Thank you very much.

      > Mr Leandro Vangel

      ! hola ! señor Vangel

      Wangel would be a German surname spelling.
      In German the letter w is pron. v
      Before WW I (1914-1918) there were Germans residing in Upper-Hungary
      (Slovakia)
      In Slovak and Hungarian the letter W appears only in foreign names.
      Stephen (E) is Stefan in German, Slovak, Czech, and Polish.

      z^upa means county (condado) in Slovak.

      I am sorry to write that the village of Slanica no longer exists
      because of the large dam built in 1954 flooding 5 villages.

      But, what was your grandfather's religion ?
      R.C. parish church records do exist for Slanica (1757-1895)

      http://www.heartofeurope.co.uk/trav_attractions_slanicaa.htm

      The Slovakia telephone directory does list a Vladimír Vangel under
      Námestovo and a Jozef Vangel under Trstená, Slovakia.

      (Entiendo español, francés, y italiano)

      Frank K