Re: [S-R] Village name Slanica

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
      At 03:57 PM 7/23/2003 -0300, you wrote:
      >Dear Sir/Madam,
      >
      > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am writing
      > from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is Vangel with
      > `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of my grandfather
      > was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to Argentina around
      > 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called `Slanica´ into a region
      > called `Zupra Povaska´.

      Slanica can be found on this 1910 Hungarian map of the Arva Varmegye or
      Arva County:

      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/arva.jpg

      Look for Nameszto on the map and Szalnicza is just to the right. I believe
      the Slovak word for county is Zupa. I think Arva Varmegye could be called
      Oravska Zupa in Slovak.

      John M.

      > Well, I`ve found a village called `Slanica´
      > (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´ and
      > `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is the
      > same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer. Thank
      > you very much.
      >
      >Mr Leandro Vangel

      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

    • Ron Milliken
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
        After many years of research, I have identified all 16 of my mother's
        great-great-grandparents, half or them Slovak and half of them Rusyn.
        This current Hric research should not be as difficult, as I am just
        trying to connect a person, known to be my grandpa's 3rd cousin, with my
        direct ancestry. A very interesting exercise, none the less. My guess
        is that the common ancestor will be from Trebisov, with Slanica an
        intermediate step.

        Ron

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
          Leandro,
          There are many VANGEL still living in Slovakia. Go to
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html for instruction on how to
          use the Slovakia phone book. Enter VANGEL and the area code '0'.
          Remember, many people moved, especially since 1945, so don't be
          surprised if the name is not in the village.

          The Hungarians named it SZLANICA, and sometimes SZLANICZA.

          Have you also looked at www.ellisisland.org for VANGEL from
          Hungary/Slovakia? Examining these names might lead you to a village
          too.,
          I find:
          89. Sandor Vangel Slanicz, Hungary 1907 2(US born) , traveled
          with Vangel, Haelena F 26y , (born Dhla') destination Wisconson
          113. Yan Vangel Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 42 , travelled with
          Koloscak, Matus, age 16 from same village, Destination Carstadt Ontario.
          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          My name is Leandro Vangel and I am writing
          from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is Vangel with
          `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of my grandfather
          was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to Argentina around
          1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called `Slanica´ into a
          region called `Zupra Povaska´.
          Well, I`ve found a village called `Slanica´
          (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´ and
          `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is the
          same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer. Thank
          you very much.

          Mr Leandro Vangel

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
            or search http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html
            for SZLANICZA and variants:
            1 Bela,Vojtanek Szlanicza 1899 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            2 Belcsak,Peter Szlanicza 1910 37 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            3 Bodorik,Vendel Szlanicza 1904 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            4 Boncsek,Ferencz Szlanicza 1905 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            5 Brija,Josef Szlanicza 1900 39 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            6 Brija,Zsofia Szlanicza 1909 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            7 Bucsan,Karoly Szlanicza 1902 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            8 Bucz,Francz Szlanicza 1900 7 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            9 Bucz,Jakob Szlanicza 1900 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            10 Bucz,Jan Szlanicza 1900 9 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            11 Bucz,Josef Szlanicza 1900 40 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            12 Bucz,Ludwig Szlanicza 1900 3 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            13 Bucz,Maria Szlanicza 1900 35 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            14 Bucz,Roman Szlanicza 1900 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            15 Bugel,Apolonia Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 11 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            16 Bugel,Jano Szlanicza 1903 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            17 Bugel,Peter Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            18 Burak,Janos Szlanicza 1902 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            19 Drobniak,Maria Szlanicza, Hungary 1910 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            20 Gogolak,Maria Szlanicza 1902 40 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            21 Gogolyak,Ede Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 19 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            22 Grobarcik,Pal Szlanicza 1905 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            23 Gura,Paula Szlanicza 1905 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            24 Jangol,Janos Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            25 Jaszkulik,Anton Szlanicza 1899 38 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            26 Job,Andrej Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            27 Jobb,Mihaly Szlanicza 1903 41 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            28 Jobb,Tamas Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 38 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            29 Jurcsak,Mihaly Szlanicza 1899 43 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            30 Kadlubjak,Karoly Szlanicza 1901 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            31 Kalanka,Josef Szlanicza 1903 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            32 Klopstock,Max Szlaniczai 1903 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            33 Kofsz,Terez Szlanicza, Hungary 1913 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            34 Koloscak,Matus Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 16 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            35 Kozmal,Agnesz Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 37 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            36 Kozmal,Antonia Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 13 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            37 Kozmal,Istvan Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 44 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            38 Kozmal,Jozsef Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 9 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            39 Kozmal,Katalin Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 15 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            40 Kozmal,Paulina Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 4 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            41 Krisak,Jozsef Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 18 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            42 Krsak,Janos Szlanicza 1899 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            43 Krsak,Josef Szlanicza 1902 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            44 Krul,Jozsef Szlanicza 1903 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            45 Kurila,Janos Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 30 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            46 Kurila,Maria Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 19 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            47 Lisicky,Zofia Szlanicza 1902 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            48 Mate,Szikora Szlanicza 1905 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            49 Matkovesik,Jan Szlanicza 1903 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            50 Melinarczik,Andras Szlanicza, Hung. 1911 9 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            51 Melinarczik,Istvan Szlanicza, Hung. 1911 12 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            52 Muska,Mariska Szlanicza 1902 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            53 Muska,Polusa Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 10 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            54 Namsta,Josef Szlanicza 1906 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            55 Nanista,Ferencz Szlanicza, Hungary 1913 29 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            56 Nanista,Veronika Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            57 Pasztva,Fuzsa Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 31 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            58 Pasztva,Raroly Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 6 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            59 Pavlak,Helena Szlanicza 1902 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            60 Pieutek,Stefan Szlanicza 1904 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            61 PINDAK,JAN SZLANICZA 1902 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            62 Prochala,Joha. Szlanicza 1899 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            63 Sramek,Jozef Szlanicza 1900 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            64 Urlinarcsik Mlinarcsik,Stefan Szlanicza 1902 38 Passenger Record
            Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            65 Vangel,Angela Szlanicza 1903 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            66 Vangel,Ignatz Szlanicza 1900 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            67 Vangel,Yan Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 42 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            68 Vanista,Karol Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            69 Vaugel,Jozsef Szlanicza 1905 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            70 Viroa,Jozsef Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 20 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            71 Virva,Karolina Szlanicza 1899 15 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            72 Virva,Maria Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 18 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            73 Virva,Terezia Szlanicza 1903 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            74 Zimany,Justina Szlanicza 1901 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            75 Zimanyi,Lajos Szlanicza 1905 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            76 Zimanyi,Sandor Szlanicza, Hungary 1910 22 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            1 Brna,Karoly Szlanica 1905 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            2 Guzak,Florian Szlanica 1903 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            3 Guzak,K`ardl Szlanica 1903 9 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            4 Kaviar,Michal Szlanica 1906 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            5 Kojaz,Janos Szlanica, Hungary 1912 19 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            6 Kujanyik,Anna Szlanica, Hungary 1904 22 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            7 Kujanyik,Josef Szlanica, Hungary 1904 29 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            8 Majcher,Rozalia Szlanica, Hungary 1910 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            9 Piskor,Helena Szlanica 1906 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            10 Piskor,Yosef Szlanica 1906 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            11 Szuistek,Ferencz Szlanica, Hungary 1910 18 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            12 Tarcsak,Anton Szlanica, Hungary 1913 34 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            13 Vengrin,Maria Szlanica 1903 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            1 Bak,Josef Slanica, Austria 1910 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            2 Bak,Karol Slanica, Austria 1910 23 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            3 Balek,Helena Slanica, C.-Sl. 1922 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            4 Ballek,Istwan Slanica, Hungary 1910 29 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            5 Chromcak,Anna Slanica, C.-Sl. 1922 19 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            6 Givinsky,Maria Slanica Tcheco-Sl. 1920 24 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            7 Gogolak,August Slanica, Czechosl. 1921 28 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            8 Graczik,Margita Slanica 1905 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            9 Hummery,Teodor Slanica, Austria 1907 30 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            10 Kovalcik,Kata. Slanica 1900 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            11 Krzyniewsky,Helene Slanica 1893 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            12 Malik,Jlon Slanica, Hungary 1909 27 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            13 Malkoric,Karolina Slanica, Hungary 1907 31 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            14 Matkowcik,Jan Slanica, Hungary 1908 36 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            15 Nanista,Anna Slanica, Cz. Slov. 1921 34 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            16 Nanista,Martyta Slanica, Cz. Slov. 1921 7 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            17 Nanista,Maryska Slanica, Cz. Slov. 1921 9 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            18 TARCAK,ANTON SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 10 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            19 TARCAK,EMILIE SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 8 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            20 TARCAK,FRANTISEK SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 7 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            21 TARCAK,TERESIA SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 40 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            22 Vilka,Emilia Slanica, Cz. Sl. 1921 16 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            23 Vrlak,Katarina Slanica, Czechoslovakia 1922 20 Passenger Record
            Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            24 Wierzba,Josef Slanica 1905 40 Passenger Record Text Manifest

            Leandro wrote:

            > Dear Sir/Madam,
            >
            > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am
            > writing from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is
            > Vangel with `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of
            > my grandfather was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to
            > Argentina around 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called
            > `Slanica´ into a region called `Zupra Povaska´.
            > Well, I`ve found a village called
            > `Slanica´ (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´

            > and `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is

            > the same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer.
            > Thank you very much.
            >
            > Mr Leandro Vangel

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
            > 05040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Defaul
            > t?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 24, 2003
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Leandro" <leandrovangel@c...>
              wrote:
              > Dear Sir/Madam,
              >
              > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am
              writing from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is
              Vangel with `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of
              my grandfather was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to
              Argentina around 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called
              `Slanica´ into a region called `Zupra Povaska´.
              > Well, I`ve found a village called
              `Slanica´ (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´
              and `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is
              the same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer.
              Thank you very much.

              > Mr Leandro Vangel

              ! hola ! señor Vangel

              Wangel would be a German surname spelling.
              In German the letter w is pron. v
              Before WW I (1914-1918) there were Germans residing in Upper-Hungary
              (Slovakia)
              In Slovak and Hungarian the letter W appears only in foreign names.
              Stephen (E) is Stefan in German, Slovak, Czech, and Polish.

              z^upa means county (condado) in Slovak.

              I am sorry to write that the village of Slanica no longer exists
              because of the large dam built in 1954 flooding 5 villages.

              But, what was your grandfather's religion ?
              R.C. parish church records do exist for Slanica (1757-1895)

              http://www.heartofeurope.co.uk/trav_attractions_slanicaa.htm

              The Slovakia telephone directory does list a Vladimír Vangel under
              Námestovo and a Jozef Vangel under Trstená, Slovakia.

              (Entiendo español, francés, y italiano)

              Frank K