Re: [S-R] Village name Slanica

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
      At 03:57 PM 7/23/2003 -0300, you wrote:
      >Dear Sir/Madam,
      >
      > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am writing
      > from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is Vangel with
      > `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of my grandfather
      > was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to Argentina around
      > 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called `Slanica´ into a region
      > called `Zupra Povaska´.

      Slanica can be found on this 1910 Hungarian map of the Arva Varmegye or
      Arva County:

      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/arva.jpg

      Look for Nameszto on the map and Szalnicza is just to the right. I believe
      the Slovak word for county is Zupa. I think Arva Varmegye could be called
      Oravska Zupa in Slovak.

      John M.

      > Well, I`ve found a village called `Slanica´
      > (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´ and
      > `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is the
      > same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer. Thank
      > you very much.
      >
      >Mr Leandro Vangel

      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

    • Ron Milliken
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
        After many years of research, I have identified all 16 of my mother's
        great-great-grandparents, half or them Slovak and half of them Rusyn.
        This current Hric research should not be as difficult, as I am just
        trying to connect a person, known to be my grandpa's 3rd cousin, with my
        direct ancestry. A very interesting exercise, none the less. My guess
        is that the common ancestor will be from Trebisov, with Slanica an
        intermediate step.

        Ron

          Leandro wrote:

          > Dear Sir/Madam,
          >
          > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am
          > writing from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is
          > Vangel with `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of
          > my grandfather was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to
          > Argentina around 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called
          > `Slanica´ into a region called `Zupra Povaska´.
          > Well, I`ve found a village called
          > `Slanica´ (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´

          > and `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is

          > the same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer.
          > Thank you very much.
          >
          > Mr Leandro Vangel

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
          > 05040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Defaul
          > t?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
            Leandro,
            There are many VANGEL still living in Slovakia. Go to
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html for instruction on how to
            use the Slovakia phone book. Enter VANGEL and the area code '0'.
            Remember, many people moved, especially since 1945, so don't be
            surprised if the name is not in the village.

            The Hungarians named it SZLANICA, and sometimes SZLANICZA.

            Have you also looked at www.ellisisland.org for VANGEL from
            Hungary/Slovakia? Examining these names might lead you to a village
            too.,
            I find:
            89. Sandor Vangel Slanicz, Hungary 1907 2(US born) , traveled
            with Vangel, Haelena F 26y , (born Dhla') destination Wisconson
            113. Yan Vangel Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 42 , travelled with
            Koloscak, Matus, age 16 from same village, Destination Carstadt Ontario.
            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
              or search http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html
              for SZLANICZA and variants:
              1 Bela,Vojtanek Szlanicza 1899 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              2 Belcsak,Peter Szlanicza 1910 37 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              3 Bodorik,Vendel Szlanicza 1904 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              4 Boncsek,Ferencz Szlanicza 1905 33 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              5 Brija,Josef Szlanicza 1900 39 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              6 Brija,Zsofia Szlanicza 1909 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              7 Bucsan,Karoly Szlanicza 1902 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              8 Bucz,Francz Szlanicza 1900 7 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              9 Bucz,Jakob Szlanicza 1900 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              10 Bucz,Jan Szlanicza 1900 9 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              11 Bucz,Josef Szlanicza 1900 40 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              12 Bucz,Ludwig Szlanicza 1900 3 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              13 Bucz,Maria Szlanicza 1900 35 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              14 Bucz,Roman Szlanicza 1900 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              15 Bugel,Apolonia Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 11 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              16 Bugel,Jano Szlanicza 1903 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              17 Bugel,Peter Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              18 Burak,Janos Szlanicza 1902 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              19 Drobniak,Maria Szlanicza, Hungary 1910 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              20 Gogolak,Maria Szlanicza 1902 40 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              21 Gogolyak,Ede Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 19 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              22 Grobarcik,Pal Szlanicza 1905 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              23 Gura,Paula Szlanicza 1905 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              24 Jangol,Janos Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              25 Jaszkulik,Anton Szlanicza 1899 38 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              26 Job,Andrej Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              27 Jobb,Mihaly Szlanicza 1903 41 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              28 Jobb,Tamas Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 38 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              29 Jurcsak,Mihaly Szlanicza 1899 43 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              30 Kadlubjak,Karoly Szlanicza 1901 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              31 Kalanka,Josef Szlanicza 1903 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              32 Klopstock,Max Szlaniczai 1903 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              33 Kofsz,Terez Szlanicza, Hungary 1913 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              34 Koloscak,Matus Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 16 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              35 Kozmal,Agnesz Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 37 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              36 Kozmal,Antonia Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 13 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              37 Kozmal,Istvan Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 44 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              38 Kozmal,Jozsef Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 9 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              39 Kozmal,Katalin Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 15 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              40 Kozmal,Paulina Szlanicza, Hungary 1911 4 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              41 Krisak,Jozsef Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 18 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              42 Krsak,Janos Szlanicza 1899 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              43 Krsak,Josef Szlanicza 1902 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              44 Krul,Jozsef Szlanicza 1903 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              45 Kurila,Janos Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 30 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              46 Kurila,Maria Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 19 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              47 Lisicky,Zofia Szlanicza 1902 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              48 Mate,Szikora Szlanicza 1905 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              49 Matkovesik,Jan Szlanicza 1903 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              50 Melinarczik,Andras Szlanicza, Hung. 1911 9 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              51 Melinarczik,Istvan Szlanicza, Hung. 1911 12 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              52 Muska,Mariska Szlanicza 1902 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              53 Muska,Polusa Szlanicza, Hungary 1907 10 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              54 Namsta,Josef Szlanicza 1906 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              55 Nanista,Ferencz Szlanicza, Hungary 1913 29 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              56 Nanista,Veronika Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              57 Pasztva,Fuzsa Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 31 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              58 Pasztva,Raroly Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 6 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              59 Pavlak,Helena Szlanicza 1902 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              60 Pieutek,Stefan Szlanicza 1904 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              61 PINDAK,JAN SZLANICZA 1902 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              62 Prochala,Joha. Szlanicza 1899 26 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              63 Sramek,Jozef Szlanicza 1900 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              64 Urlinarcsik Mlinarcsik,Stefan Szlanicza 1902 38 Passenger Record
              Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              65 Vangel,Angela Szlanicza 1903 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              66 Vangel,Ignatz Szlanicza 1900 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              67 Vangel,Yan Szlanicza, Hungary 1908 42 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              68 Vanista,Karol Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              69 Vaugel,Jozsef Szlanicza 1905 17 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              70 Viroa,Jozsef Szlanicza, Hungary 1909 20 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              71 Virva,Karolina Szlanicza 1899 15 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              72 Virva,Maria Szlanicza, Hungary 1912 18 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              73 Virva,Terezia Szlanicza 1903 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              74 Zimany,Justina Szlanicza 1901 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              75 Zimanyi,Lajos Szlanicza 1905 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              76 Zimanyi,Sandor Szlanicza, Hungary 1910 22 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              1 Brna,Karoly Szlanica 1905 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              2 Guzak,Florian Szlanica 1903 8 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              3 Guzak,K`ardl Szlanica 1903 9 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              4 Kaviar,Michal Szlanica 1906 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              5 Kojaz,Janos Szlanica, Hungary 1912 19 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              6 Kujanyik,Anna Szlanica, Hungary 1904 22 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              7 Kujanyik,Josef Szlanica, Hungary 1904 29 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              8 Majcher,Rozalia Szlanica, Hungary 1910 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              9 Piskor,Helena Szlanica 1906 32 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              10 Piskor,Yosef Szlanica 1906 27 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              11 Szuistek,Ferencz Szlanica, Hungary 1910 18 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              12 Tarcsak,Anton Szlanica, Hungary 1913 34 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              13 Vengrin,Maria Szlanica 1903 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              1 Bak,Josef Slanica, Austria 1910 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              2 Bak,Karol Slanica, Austria 1910 23 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              3 Balek,Helena Slanica, C.-Sl. 1922 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              4 Ballek,Istwan Slanica, Hungary 1910 29 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              5 Chromcak,Anna Slanica, C.-Sl. 1922 19 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              6 Givinsky,Maria Slanica Tcheco-Sl. 1920 24 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              7 Gogolak,August Slanica, Czechosl. 1921 28 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              8 Graczik,Margita Slanica 1905 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              9 Hummery,Teodor Slanica, Austria 1907 30 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              10 Kovalcik,Kata. Slanica 1900 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              11 Krzyniewsky,Helene Slanica 1893 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              12 Malik,Jlon Slanica, Hungary 1909 27 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              13 Malkoric,Karolina Slanica, Hungary 1907 31 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              14 Matkowcik,Jan Slanica, Hungary 1908 36 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              15 Nanista,Anna Slanica, Cz. Slov. 1921 34 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              16 Nanista,Martyta Slanica, Cz. Slov. 1921 7 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              17 Nanista,Maryska Slanica, Cz. Slov. 1921 9 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              18 TARCAK,ANTON SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 10 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              19 TARCAK,EMILIE SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 8 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              20 TARCAK,FRANTISEK SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 7 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              21 TARCAK,TERESIA SLANICA, CZ. SLOV. 1920 40 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              22 Vilka,Emilia Slanica, Cz. Sl. 1921 16 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              23 Vrlak,Katarina Slanica, Czechoslovakia 1922 20 Passenger Record
              Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              24 Wierzba,Josef Slanica 1905 40 Passenger Record Text Manifest

              Leandro wrote:

              > Dear Sir/Madam,
              >
              > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am
              > writing from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is
              > Vangel with `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of
              > my grandfather was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to
              > Argentina around 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called
              > `Slanica´ into a region called `Zupra Povaska´.
              > Well, I`ve found a village called
              > `Slanica´ (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´

              > and `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is

              > the same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer.
              > Thank you very much.
              >
              > Mr Leandro Vangel

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
              > 05040837:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Defaul
              > t?mqso=60178275&partid=3170658>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 24, 2003
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Leandro" <leandrovangel@c...>
                wrote:
                > Dear Sir/Madam,
                >
                > My name is Leandro Vangel and I am
                writing from Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina. Though my surname is
                Vangel with `V´ in its origin it was with `W´, because the surname of
                my grandfather was Wangel. His name was Stefan Wangel and he came to
                Argentina around 1914 from Slovakia, from a village or town called
                `Slanica´ into a region called `Zupra Povaska´.
                > Well, I`ve found a village called
                `Slanica´ (Slanická Osada) that today is near the towns of `Námestovo´
                and `Trstena´ in Central Slovakia. So, I would like to know if this is
                the same village from where my grandfather came. I hope your answer.
                Thank you very much.

                > Mr Leandro Vangel

                ! hola ! señor Vangel

                Wangel would be a German surname spelling.
                In German the letter w is pron. v
                Before WW I (1914-1918) there were Germans residing in Upper-Hungary
                (Slovakia)
                In Slovak and Hungarian the letter W appears only in foreign names.
                Stephen (E) is Stefan in German, Slovak, Czech, and Polish.

                z^upa means county (condado) in Slovak.

                I am sorry to write that the village of Slanica no longer exists
                because of the large dam built in 1954 flooding 5 villages.

                But, what was your grandfather's religion ?
                R.C. parish church records do exist for Slanica (1757-1895)

                http://www.heartofeurope.co.uk/trav_attractions_slanicaa.htm

                The Slovakia telephone directory does list a Vladimír Vangel under
                Námestovo and a Jozef Vangel under Trstená, Slovakia.

                (Entiendo español, francés, y italiano)

                Frank K