Re: [S-R] Town name Svinska

  • Terry L. Karkos
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
      I came across a Hric while researching my Karkos line. I have his
      obituary if you want it. His name was John J. Hric, Jr. (wife was
      Mary E. Gamrat) and he was the son of John J. and Susan Borcsak Hric
      Sr. John Jr. was from the Lisbon Falls, Maine Slovak community, many
      of whom came from the Parchovany/Trebisov areas.

      At Mt. Calvary Cemetery in Lisbon Falls, where many Slovaks are
      buried (there is another Slovak cemetery in town also), there is a
      stone for a Joseph Hric, 1870-1933, who is the father of John J. Hric
      Sr., who was born Jan. 13, 1892 and died Feb. 8, 1968. His wife,
      Susan Borcsak was born July 15, 1895 and died Nov. 20, 1980.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks for the info. Even though he used the names Andrew
      > Hricz/Hritz/Reese in America, I found his tombstone was marked
      Andro
      > Hric. Interesting that after using the Americanized name "Reese"
      for
      > many years, he was buried under the old name "Hric". One of the
      > villages you mentioned is probably the correct one. I hope to find
      the
      > county soon through other records in America.
      >
      > Ron
      >
      > John M, wrote:
      >
      > > At 05:11 PM 7/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      > > >Mary Agnes Hric/Hricz/Hritz/Reese/Rees was born in Svinska on 19
      Sep
      > > >1893 and immigrated on May 15, 1897.
      > >
      > > There is one Hric in Trebisov, nine in Mihalovce, about 15 in
      Presov,
      > > probably more than 70 in Kosice. It appears that Hric is the
      more
      > > popular
      > > version of the spelling currently in Slovakia. The "cz" in
      Hungarian is
      > > pronounced "ts". I believe the Slovak "c" can be
      pronounced "ts". The
      > > Hungarian Maczko and Slovak Macko are both pronounced Mah-tsko.
      I think
      > > the Slovak Hric would be pronounced Hrits.
      > >
      > > >The odd thing is that Mary Agnes Reese is my grandpa John
      Tomko's 3rd
      > > >cousin, and all of my grandpa's ancestors, going back 3
      generations
      > > >further in all lines, are from Trebisov, Zemplen County. So I
      would be
      > > >very surprised if Svinska is very far from Trebisov,
      > >
      > > Svinica is 13.3 miles WNW of Trebisov (S^aris^ ) and Svinice is
      13.8
      > > miles
      > > SSE of Trebisov (Zemplen).
      > >
      > > John M.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05040837:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124bf4lrb/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryuta
      itakenattogyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595056>

      email
      > > to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Service

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
        Ron

        You like to do your genealogical surname reserach the old way.

        Sometimes in ship manifests Slovakia place names ending in -ica
        were spelled using -ska ending.
        (-ská can be a fem. gender word ending)

        Svinica (Sk) Peto"szinye (H) is located :
        10 miles from Kos^ice
        13 miles from Trebis^ov
        21 miles from Pres^ov and Michalovce

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed the Kos^ice parish church records
        for Svinica.

        Svinica (RC)
        (See Ruskov)
        1789-1901
        Svinica (Ev)
        (See Vys^ná Kamenica)
        1776-1896
        Svinica (GC)
        (See Kos^icky' Klec^enov)
        1788-1906
        Svinica (Ref)
        (See Bidovce)
        1737-1897
        Svinica (Ref)
        -------------
        Svinice (GC) Szinyér (H)
        (See Zemplín)
        1804-1895
        Svinice (RC)
        (See Rad)
        1749-1780,1815-1869

        Hungarian English
        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

        vel'a s^t'astia !

        Frank K
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
          SOURCE: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html
          Immigrants from Svinska:

          1 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

          193 Feciskamin,Anna Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 12 Passenger
          Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          194 Feciskamin,Helena Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 3 Passenger
          Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          195 Feciskamin,Ila Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 35 Passenger Record
          Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          196 Feciskamin,Michael Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 14 Passenger
          Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          197
          182 Drmeeie,Gyuro Svanysko, Hungary 1909 20 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          818 Plesa,Marya Sevanska, Hungary 1914 26 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          819 Plesa,Mauric Sevanska, Hungary 1914 44 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          823 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          846 Rak,Franjo Svanjska 1906 36 Passenger Record Text Manifest
          Scanned Manifest Ship Image
          1238 Zlokara,Mile Sweniski, Hungary 1912 28 Passenger Record Text
          Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

          consider that present day SVINCA (SE of Kosice) was called SWINCZA AND
          PETOSZINYE by the Magyars
          Austria Hungary could also include, Czech republic, Galicia (Poland) or
          western Ukraine

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
            consider
            1 ...aicz,Michael Bremen 1897 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            2 Hrisch,Mathia Madereben 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            3 Hricz,Andras Rijo 1898 23 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            4 Hricz,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            5 Hricz,Anna Gezsony 1897 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            6 Hricz,Gyorgy Cselej 1898 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            7 Hricz,Janos 1896 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            8 Hricz,Janos 1896 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            9 Hricz,Jozsef Also Repas 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            10 Hricz,Koczyban Sczerbanynka 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            11 Hricz,Maria 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            12 Hricz,Maria Ragyocz 1898 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            13 Hricz,Mihaly 1896 3 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            14 Hricz,Mihalz 1896 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            15 Hrics,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            16 Hrics,Anna 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image
            17 Hrics,Mihaly Davidvagas 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            18 Hrics,Ystvan Rijo 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
            Manifest Ship Image

            Don't be surprised if they messed up the given name - I like the Mihaly
            entry 1896, age 3, but I can't find the manifest online. Well, more
            work for you. And what about #11, Maria, 1896 - age 0 , usually means
            age is in months. Mistakes are all over the place, check em out!

            Bill Tarkulich