Re: [S-R] Koches, Hirchak, Moros

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2003
      At 03:21 AM 7/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >I am trying to find info on Koches, Hirchak, Moros. These are my
      >grandparents great grandparents. They are from Austria-hungary, or
      >Czechoslovakia. Martin Koches (Kocis) married Susie Moros and they
      >lived in Ramey, PA Thier daughter Anna Kocis married John Sylvester
      >Hirchak (Hircak, Herchock) and lived in Detroit Thank you.

      What have you done to date? Have you located their villages in
      Europe? Did you find them in the Ellis Island Database? Have you checked
      vital statistics in Ramey. What church did they belong to?

      I believe your best bet is to join the Smerek
      list. http://www.topica.com/lists/smerek/

      Most of the members are from or their ancestors are from the Ramey,
      Houtzdale, Madera, Clearfield County area. You will find towns in Galicia
      associated with surnames
      at http://members.tripod.com/warholic/ . Although the names you are
      interested may not be from Gailicia, many list members still live in the
      area and may be familiar with your surnames.

      The following is based on the "birds of a feather flock together"
      hypothesis. My wife's grandparents emigrated from Gerlachov, Upper Hungary
      to Morann, Pa, which is about two miles from Ramey. The Ellis Island data
      base show Hircaks coming from Gaboltov which is about two or three miles
      from Gerlachov. There is a Peter Hirc^ak listed for Gaboltov in the Slovak
      online directory.

      I found a Susanna Moros from Fricka, which is only about two miles up the
      road from Gabaltov. It also shows a Suzana Morosz from Hosszuret, which is
      now part of Bardejov and only a few miles from Gabaltov. I found one Moroz
      listing for Bardejov in the online SK phone directory. Based on EIDB
      records, I didn't find any of these names associated with Ramey.

      John M
    • Marlene K. Markotan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2003
        My husband's great great grandfather was Michael Kocis/Kochis/Kocsis. He
        was born either Aug 25, 1878 or Aug 15, 1875 in Horhof, Slovakia. His
        naturalization papers list one date and his marriage application lists
        another. He immigrated to the U. S. in Feb 1896. He lived in Leisenring,
        Fayette Co., PA and is buried in Connellsville, PA. I'm not sure who
        Michael's parents are. I haven't had a chance to order the film from my
        local FHS and look it up. Several of Michael's grandchildren remember
        meeting his brother, but they can't remember his name. There is a John
        Kocis (1876 - 1944) and the wife of a Paul Kochis buried in the same
        cemetery as Michael. John's father (according to information on his death
        certificate) is John Kocis. The name of the mother is unknown. There are
        some people by the last name Martin connected with these Kochis/Kocis
        families. You don't give any dates for Martin Koches and his wife. If you
        see any connection let me know.

        Marlene Markotan

        >I am trying to find info on Koches, Hirchak, Moros. These are my
        >grandparents great grandparents. They are from Austria-hungary, or
        >Czechoslovakia. Martin Koches (Kocis) married Susie Moros and they
        >lived in Ramey, PA Thier daughter Anna Kocis married John Sylvester
        >Hirchak (Hircak, Herchock) and lived in Detroit Thank you.
        >

        >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marlene K. Markotan"
          <mmarkotan@n...> wrote:
          > My husband's great great grandfather was Michael
          Kocis/Kochis/Kocsis. He
          > was born either Aug 25, 1878 or Aug 15, 1875 in Horhof, Slovakia.
          His
          > naturalization papers list one date and his marriage application
          lists
          > another. He immigrated to the U. S. in Feb 1896. He lived in
          Leisenring,
          > Fayette Co., PA and is buried in Connellsville, PA. I'm not sure
          who
          > Michael's parents are. I haven't had a chance to order the film
          from my
          > local FHS and look it up. Several of Michael's grandchildren
          remember
          > meeting his brother, but they can't remember his name. There is a
          John
          > Kocis (1876 - 1944) and the wife of a Paul Kochis buried in the same
          > cemetery as Michael. John's father (according to information on his
          death
          > certificate) is John Kocis. The name of the mother is unknown.
          There are
          > some people by the last name Martin connected with these
          Kochis/Kocis
          > families. You don't give any dates for Martin Koches and his wife.
          If you
          > see any connection let me know.
          >
          > Marlene Markotan

          Marlene

          In what document was the German place name Horhof ?, Slovakia listed.
          -hof meant court, manor and later 'village'.

          The Spis^ská Nová Ves (Sk) Igló (H) Neudorf (G) region of Slovakia had
          many German settlements.
          For example, Neudorf means 'new village'.

          The Ellis Island Records (EIR) list 1427 surnames Kocsis
          and 90 surnames Kocis 1892-1924.
          Kocsis would be the Hungarian spelling and probably spelled
          Koc^is^ with Slovak diacritic letters c^ = ch and s^ = sh.

          On Jan 28, 1896 a Michal (Sk) (Michael) Kocsis, age 17 (b. abt.
          1898-9) arrived at Ellis Island (NYC) from port of Antwerp, Belgium.

          The image copy of ship manifest is not available so don't know his
          Final Destination in the US ?

          http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:ZcUk1Y_3C5wJ:www.personal.psu.edu
          /staff/m/e/meb5/kocis_index.htm+Kocis+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

          Am familiar with Leisenring No.1 and No. 2 coal mine and coke works in
          Fayette CO PA and Connellsville PA.

          http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:LloJl8jNFPMJ:patheoldminer.rootsw
          eb.com/fayleisenring11.html+Leisenring+coal+mine+1+PA&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

          Frank K
        • Marlene K. Markotan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28, 2003
            Frank,

            Michael listed his birth as Horhof Slovakia on his Petition for
            Naturalization. I looked it up in Czech Republic / Slovakia Euro Travel
            Atlas that I have. I found a Hrhov Slovakia which I thought may be where he
            was from since it was located in the area family members thought he was
            from. I thought maybe he had pronounced it and the person taking down the
            information spelled it as Horhof. I took German in high school and college
            and know that the German V sounds like an F so I thought he may have
            pronounced the V as an F when giving the information.

            In his petition Michael said he emigrated from Antwerp Belgium arriving in
            NY February 27, 1896. He couldn't remember the name of the ship. His last
            place of residence in Europe was Podraz Czechoslovakia. Before Ellis Island
            Database was available my husband stopped at the Archives in D.C while there
            on a business trip. He searched a week each direction, but didn't find any
            ship from Antwerp with Michael on it. He didn't have time to search
            anymore. I did search the Ellis Island web site. I did find him, I can't
            find the information I printed on him. I haven't been working much on this
            family lately. I have other families I am more interested in. Sometime
            when I have more time I will start working on him again.

            His first wife, Anna Farkasovsky interests me. She arrived in Philadelphia
            Sep 29, 1898. She gives her birth place as Zempl Bam Slovakia. Her last
            place of residence was either Soo or Sec Poland. She disappeared and I
            would love to know exactly what happened to her. Their grandchildren's
            stories differ on what happened to her. Supposedly she took off shortly
            after their last child was born because she missed her homeland. She was
            never seen or heard from again. This was about the time World War I was
            starting. The dates differ from 1913 - 1916. She may have taken their only
            son with her. The family stories differ on whether there ever was a son or
            not. They had 5 daughters, the youngest was either born in 1913 or 1915
            depending on what source I use. I checked for a passport for Anna at the
            National Archives, but there wasn't one. I later found out she wasn't a
            citizen so she wouldn't have one. Michael, according to one of his
            granddaughters, wasn't a very nice person. I have wondered if maybe he did
            her in. One granddaughter said that sometime after the mother left the baby
            boy's cup fell off a shelf and broke. Michael was superstitious and said
            that this was a sign that the boy had died.

            Koc^is^ is the original spelling I believe. Michael used both Kocis and
            Kochis. His children all used Kochis. He was a coal miner probably in one
            of the 2 mines you mentioned. At the time he died, May 23, 1943, he lived
            in Dunbar Twp, R. D. #1 Leisenring.

            Marlene