Re: [S-R] Town name Svinska

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
      Thanks for the info. Even though he used the names Andrew
      Hricz/Hritz/Reese in America, I found his tombstone was marked Andro
      Hric. Interesting that after using the Americanized name "Reese" for
      many years, he was buried under the old name "Hric". One of the
      villages you mentioned is probably the correct one. I hope to find the
      county soon through other records in America.

      Ron

      John M, wrote:

      > At 05:11 PM 7/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      > >Mary Agnes Hric/Hricz/Hritz/Reese/Rees was born in Svinska on 19 Sep
      > >1893 and immigrated on May 15, 1897.
      >
      > There is one Hric in Trebisov, nine in Mihalovce, about 15 in Presov,
      > probably more than 70 in Kosice. It appears that Hric is the more
      > popular
      > version of the spelling currently in Slovakia. The "cz" in Hungarian is
      > pronounced "ts". I believe the Slovak "c" can be pronounced "ts". The
      > Hungarian Maczko and Slovak Macko are both pronounced Mah-tsko. I think
      > the Slovak Hric would be pronounced Hrits.
      >
      > >The odd thing is that Mary Agnes Reese is my grandpa John Tomko's 3rd
      > >cousin, and all of my grandpa's ancestors, going back 3 generations
      > >further in all lines, are from Trebisov, Zemplen County. So I would be
      > >very surprised if Svinska is very far from Trebisov,
      >
      > Svinica is 13.3 miles WNW of Trebisov (S^aris^ ) and Svinice is 13.8
      > miles
      > SSE of Trebisov (Zemplen).
      >
      > John M.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124bf4lrb/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595056>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • Terry L. Karkos
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
        I came across a Hric while researching my Karkos line. I have his
        obituary if you want it. His name was John J. Hric, Jr. (wife was
        Mary E. Gamrat) and he was the son of John J. and Susan Borcsak Hric
        Sr. John Jr. was from the Lisbon Falls, Maine Slovak community, many
        of whom came from the Parchovany/Trebisov areas.

        At Mt. Calvary Cemetery in Lisbon Falls, where many Slovaks are
        buried (there is another Slovak cemetery in town also), there is a
        stone for a Joseph Hric, 1870-1933, who is the father of John J. Hric
        Sr., who was born Jan. 13, 1892 and died Feb. 8, 1968. His wife,
        Susan Borcsak was born July 15, 1895 and died Nov. 20, 1980.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>

        Service

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
          Ron

          You like to do your genealogical surname reserach the old way.

          Sometimes in ship manifests Slovakia place names ending in -ica
          were spelled using -ska ending.
          (-ská can be a fem. gender word ending)

          Svinica (Sk) Peto"szinye (H) is located :
          10 miles from Kos^ice
          13 miles from Trebis^ov
          21 miles from Pres^ov and Michalovce

          The LDS-Mormons have filmed the Kos^ice parish church records
          for Svinica.

          Svinica (RC)
          (See Ruskov)
          1789-1901
          Svinica (Ev)
          (See Vys^ná Kamenica)
          1776-1896
          Svinica (GC)
          (See Kos^icky' Klec^enov)
          1788-1906
          Svinica (Ref)
          (See Bidovce)
          1737-1897
          Svinica (Ref)
          -------------
          Svinice (GC) Szinyér (H)
          (See Zemplín)
          1804-1895
          Svinice (RC)
          (See Rad)
          1749-1780,1815-1869

          Hungarian English
          rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
          ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
          izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

          vel'a s^t'astia !

          Frank K
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
            SOURCE: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html
            Immigrants from Svinska:

            1 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

            193 Feciskamin,Anna Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 12 Passenger
            Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            194 Feciskamin,Helena Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 3 Passenger
            Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            195 Feciskamin,Ila Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 35 Passenger Record
            Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            196 Feciskamin,Michael Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 14 Passenger
            Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            197
            182 Drmeeie,Gyuro Svanysko, Hungary 1909 20 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            818 Plesa,Marya Sevanska, Hungary 1914 26 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            819 Plesa,Mauric Sevanska, Hungary 1914 44 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            823 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            846 Rak,Franjo Svanjska 1906 36 Passenger Record Text Manifest
            Scanned Manifest Ship Image
            1238 Zlokara,Mile Sweniski, Hungary 1912 28 Passenger Record Text
            Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

            consider that present day SVINCA (SE of Kosice) was called SWINCZA AND
            PETOSZINYE by the Magyars
            Austria Hungary could also include, Czech republic, Galicia (Poland) or
            western Ukraine

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
              consider
              1 ...aicz,Michael Bremen 1897 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              2 Hrisch,Mathia Madereben 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              3 Hricz,Andras Rijo 1898 23 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              4 Hricz,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              5 Hricz,Anna Gezsony 1897 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              6 Hricz,Gyorgy Cselej 1898 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              7 Hricz,Janos 1896 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              8 Hricz,Janos 1896 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              9 Hricz,Jozsef Also Repas 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              10 Hricz,Koczyban Sczerbanynka 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              11 Hricz,Maria 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              12 Hricz,Maria Ragyocz 1898 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              13 Hricz,Mihaly 1896 3 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              14 Hricz,Mihalz 1896 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              15 Hrics,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              16 Hrics,Anna 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image
              17 Hrics,Mihaly Davidvagas 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              18 Hrics,Ystvan Rijo 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
              Manifest Ship Image

              Don't be surprised if they messed up the given name - I like the Mihaly
              entry 1896, age 3, but I can't find the manifest online. Well, more
              work for you. And what about #11, Maria, 1896 - age 0 , usually means
              age is in months. Mistakes are all over the place, check em out!

              Bill Tarkulich