Re: [S-R] Town name Svinska

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
      Thanks for the info. I didn't know Morton Allan was on the internet ...
      I am used to traveling to the National Archives Branches in NYC and
      Philadelphia to use Morton Allan as well as the passenger lists &
      indices, and the naturalization and census records at those facilities.
      I can go through passenger lists and census records much faster on
      microfilm than on the internet, even with high speed access.

      I am a great believer in doing genealogical research the old fashioned
      way, and have been doing so for over 20 years. I am in my element in
      libraries, church offices, archives, dusty storage rooms in courthouse
      basements and annexes, etc ... you know the routine. I love doing my
      research in the towns and counties where my ancestors lived. I mainly
      use the internet to point me to the facilities that would have the
      records about my ancestors, and then I travel to those facilities to
      look at the records first hand, rather than use internet transcriptions.

      I just started researching the Hric/Reese line, which are 3rd cousins of
      my ancestors. I will be traveling to the county where they lived next
      week to research civil records, and the church they attended is already
      working on making copies of their records. Hopefully, I will find other
      references to their home village in Slovakia, which could include the
      name of the county as well. I started this thread hoping someone knew
      about that village "Svinska", as I could not find it.

      Do you know if the index/soundex for the 1900 census is available on the
      internet?

      Ron

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
        Thanks for the info. Even though he used the names Andrew
        Hricz/Hritz/Reese in America, I found his tombstone was marked Andro
        Hric. Interesting that after using the Americanized name "Reese" for
        many years, he was buried under the old name "Hric". One of the
        villages you mentioned is probably the correct one. I hope to find the
        county soon through other records in America.

        Ron

        John M, wrote:

        > At 05:11 PM 7/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        > >Mary Agnes Hric/Hricz/Hritz/Reese/Rees was born in Svinska on 19 Sep
        > >1893 and immigrated on May 15, 1897.
        >
        > There is one Hric in Trebisov, nine in Mihalovce, about 15 in Presov,
        > probably more than 70 in Kosice. It appears that Hric is the more
        > popular
        > version of the spelling currently in Slovakia. The "cz" in Hungarian is
        > pronounced "ts". I believe the Slovak "c" can be pronounced "ts". The
        > Hungarian Maczko and Slovak Macko are both pronounced Mah-tsko. I think
        > the Slovak Hric would be pronounced Hrits.
        >
        > >The odd thing is that Mary Agnes Reese is my grandpa John Tomko's 3rd
        > >cousin, and all of my grandpa's ancestors, going back 3 generations
        > >further in all lines, are from Trebisov, Zemplen County. So I would be
        > >very surprised if Svinska is very far from Trebisov,
        >
        > Svinica is 13.3 miles WNW of Trebisov (S^aris^ ) and Svinice is 13.8
        > miles
        > SSE of Trebisov (Zemplen).
        >
        > John M.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124bf4lrb/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595056>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Terry L. Karkos
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
          I came across a Hric while researching my Karkos line. I have his
          obituary if you want it. His name was John J. Hric, Jr. (wife was
          Mary E. Gamrat) and he was the son of John J. and Susan Borcsak Hric
          Sr. John Jr. was from the Lisbon Falls, Maine Slovak community, many
          of whom came from the Parchovany/Trebisov areas.

          At Mt. Calvary Cemetery in Lisbon Falls, where many Slovaks are
          buried (there is another Slovak cemetery in town also), there is a
          stone for a Joseph Hric, 1870-1933, who is the father of John J. Hric
          Sr., who was born Jan. 13, 1892 and died Feb. 8, 1968. His wife,
          Susan Borcsak was born July 15, 1895 and died Nov. 20, 1980.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>

          Service

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
            Ron

            You like to do your genealogical surname reserach the old way.

            Sometimes in ship manifests Slovakia place names ending in -ica
            were spelled using -ska ending.
            (-ská can be a fem. gender word ending)

            Svinica (Sk) Peto"szinye (H) is located :
            10 miles from Kos^ice
            13 miles from Trebis^ov
            21 miles from Pres^ov and Michalovce

            The LDS-Mormons have filmed the Kos^ice parish church records
            for Svinica.

            Svinica (RC)
            (See Ruskov)
            1789-1901
            Svinica (Ev)
            (See Vys^ná Kamenica)
            1776-1896
            Svinica (GC)
            (See Kos^icky' Klec^enov)
            1788-1906
            Svinica (Ref)
            (See Bidovce)
            1737-1897
            Svinica (Ref)
            -------------
            Svinice (GC) Szinyér (H)
            (See Zemplín)
            1804-1895
            Svinice (RC)
            (See Rad)
            1749-1780,1815-1869

            Hungarian English
            rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
            ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
            izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

            vel'a s^t'astia !

            Frank K
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
              SOURCE: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html
              Immigrants from Svinska:

              1 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

              193 Feciskamin,Anna Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 12 Passenger
              Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              194 Feciskamin,Helena Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 3 Passenger
              Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              195 Feciskamin,Ila Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 35 Passenger Record
              Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              196 Feciskamin,Michael Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 14 Passenger
              Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              197
              182 Drmeeie,Gyuro Svanysko, Hungary 1909 20 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              818 Plesa,Marya Sevanska, Hungary 1914 26 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              819 Plesa,Mauric Sevanska, Hungary 1914 44 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              823 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              846 Rak,Franjo Svanjska 1906 36 Passenger Record Text Manifest
              Scanned Manifest Ship Image
              1238 Zlokara,Mile Sweniski, Hungary 1912 28 Passenger Record Text
              Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

              consider that present day SVINCA (SE of Kosice) was called SWINCZA AND
              PETOSZINYE by the Magyars
              Austria Hungary could also include, Czech republic, Galicia (Poland) or
              western Ukraine

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
                consider
                1 ...aicz,Michael Bremen 1897 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                2 Hrisch,Mathia Madereben 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                3 Hricz,Andras Rijo 1898 23 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                4 Hricz,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                5 Hricz,Anna Gezsony 1897 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                6 Hricz,Gyorgy Cselej 1898 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                7 Hricz,Janos 1896 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                8 Hricz,Janos 1896 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                9 Hricz,Jozsef Also Repas 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                10 Hricz,Koczyban Sczerbanynka 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                11 Hricz,Maria 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                12 Hricz,Maria Ragyocz 1898 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                13 Hricz,Mihaly 1896 3 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                14 Hricz,Mihalz 1896 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                15 Hrics,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                16 Hrics,Anna 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image
                17 Hrics,Mihaly Davidvagas 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                18 Hrics,Ystvan Rijo 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                Manifest Ship Image

                Don't be surprised if they messed up the given name - I like the Mihaly
                entry 1896, age 3, but I can't find the manifest online. Well, more
                work for you. And what about #11, Maria, 1896 - age 0 , usually means
                age is in months. Mistakes are all over the place, check em out!

                Bill Tarkulich