Koches, Hirchak, Moros

  • ritamarie43
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2003
      I am trying to find info on Koches, Hirchak, Moros. These are my
      grandparents great grandparents. They are from Austria-hungary, or
      Czechoslovakia. Martin Koches (Kocis) married Susie Moros and they
      lived in Ramey, PA Thier daughter Anna Kocis married John Sylvester
      Hirchak (Hircak, Herchock) and lived in Detroit Thank you.
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2003
        At 03:21 AM 7/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >I am trying to find info on Koches, Hirchak, Moros. These are my
        >grandparents great grandparents. They are from Austria-hungary, or
        >Czechoslovakia. Martin Koches (Kocis) married Susie Moros and they
        >lived in Ramey, PA Thier daughter Anna Kocis married John Sylvester
        >Hirchak (Hircak, Herchock) and lived in Detroit Thank you.

        What have you done to date? Have you located their villages in
        Europe? Did you find them in the Ellis Island Database? Have you checked
        vital statistics in Ramey. What church did they belong to?

        I believe your best bet is to join the Smerek
        list. http://www.topica.com/lists/smerek/

        Most of the members are from or their ancestors are from the Ramey,
        Houtzdale, Madera, Clearfield County area. You will find towns in Galicia
        associated with surnames
        at http://members.tripod.com/warholic/ . Although the names you are
        interested may not be from Gailicia, many list members still live in the
        area and may be familiar with your surnames.

        The following is based on the "birds of a feather flock together"
        hypothesis. My wife's grandparents emigrated from Gerlachov, Upper Hungary
        to Morann, Pa, which is about two miles from Ramey. The Ellis Island data
        base show Hircaks coming from Gaboltov which is about two or three miles
        from Gerlachov. There is a Peter Hirc^ak listed for Gaboltov in the Slovak
        online directory.

        I found a Susanna Moros from Fricka, which is only about two miles up the
        road from Gabaltov. It also shows a Suzana Morosz from Hosszuret, which is
        now part of Bardejov and only a few miles from Gabaltov. I found one Moroz
        listing for Bardejov in the online SK phone directory. Based on EIDB
        records, I didn't find any of these names associated with Ramey.

        John M
      • Marlene K. Markotan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2003
          My husband's great great grandfather was Michael Kocis/Kochis/Kocsis. He
          was born either Aug 25, 1878 or Aug 15, 1875 in Horhof, Slovakia. His
          naturalization papers list one date and his marriage application lists
          another. He immigrated to the U. S. in Feb 1896. He lived in Leisenring,
          Fayette Co., PA and is buried in Connellsville, PA. I'm not sure who
          Michael's parents are. I haven't had a chance to order the film from my
          local FHS and look it up. Several of Michael's grandchildren remember
          meeting his brother, but they can't remember his name. There is a John
          Kocis (1876 - 1944) and the wife of a Paul Kochis buried in the same
          cemetery as Michael. John's father (according to information on his death
          certificate) is John Kocis. The name of the mother is unknown. There are
          some people by the last name Martin connected with these Kochis/Kocis
          families. You don't give any dates for Martin Koches and his wife. If you
          see any connection let me know.

          Marlene Markotan

          >I am trying to find info on Koches, Hirchak, Moros. These are my
          >grandparents great grandparents. They are from Austria-hungary, or
          >Czechoslovakia. Martin Koches (Kocis) married Susie Moros and they
          >lived in Ramey, PA Thier daughter Anna Kocis married John Sylvester
          >Hirchak (Hircak, Herchock) and lived in Detroit Thank you.
          >

          >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marlene K. Markotan"
            <mmarkotan@n...> wrote:
            > My husband's great great grandfather was Michael
            Kocis/Kochis/Kocsis. He
            > was born either Aug 25, 1878 or Aug 15, 1875 in Horhof, Slovakia.
            His
            > naturalization papers list one date and his marriage application
            lists
            > another. He immigrated to the U. S. in Feb 1896. He lived in
            Leisenring,
            > Fayette Co., PA and is buried in Connellsville, PA. I'm not sure
            who
            > Michael's parents are. I haven't had a chance to order the film
            from my
            > local FHS and look it up. Several of Michael's grandchildren
            remember
            > meeting his brother, but they can't remember his name. There is a
            John
            > Kocis (1876 - 1944) and the wife of a Paul Kochis buried in the same
            > cemetery as Michael. John's father (according to information on his
            death
            > certificate) is John Kocis. The name of the mother is unknown.
            There are
            > some people by the last name Martin connected with these
            Kochis/Kocis
            > families. You don't give any dates for Martin Koches and his wife.
            If you
            > see any connection let me know.
            >
            > Marlene Markotan

            Marlene

            In what document was the German place name Horhof ?, Slovakia listed.
            -hof meant court, manor and later 'village'.

            The Spis^ská Nová Ves (Sk) Igló (H) Neudorf (G) region of Slovakia had
            many German settlements.
            For example, Neudorf means 'new village'.

            The Ellis Island Records (EIR) list 1427 surnames Kocsis
            and 90 surnames Kocis 1892-1924.
            Kocsis would be the Hungarian spelling and probably spelled
            Koc^is^ with Slovak diacritic letters c^ = ch and s^ = sh.

            On Jan 28, 1896 a Michal (Sk) (Michael) Kocsis, age 17 (b. abt.
            1898-9) arrived at Ellis Island (NYC) from port of Antwerp, Belgium.

            The image copy of ship manifest is not available so don't know his
            Final Destination in the US ?

            http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:ZcUk1Y_3C5wJ:www.personal.psu.edu
            /staff/m/e/meb5/kocis_index.htm+Kocis+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

            Am familiar with Leisenring No.1 and No. 2 coal mine and coke works in
            Fayette CO PA and Connellsville PA.

            http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:LloJl8jNFPMJ:patheoldminer.rootsw
            eb.com/fayleisenring11.html+Leisenring+coal+mine+1+PA&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

            Frank K
          • Marlene K. Markotan
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2003
              Frank,

              Michael listed his birth as Horhof Slovakia on his Petition for
              Naturalization. I looked it up in Czech Republic / Slovakia Euro Travel
              Atlas that I have. I found a Hrhov Slovakia which I thought may be where he
              was from since it was located in the area family members thought he was
              from. I thought maybe he had pronounced it and the person taking down the
              information spelled it as Horhof. I took German in high school and college
              and know that the German V sounds like an F so I thought he may have
              pronounced the V as an F when giving the information.

              In his petition Michael said he emigrated from Antwerp Belgium arriving in
              NY February 27, 1896. He couldn't remember the name of the ship. His last
              place of residence in Europe was Podraz Czechoslovakia. Before Ellis Island
              Database was available my husband stopped at the Archives in D.C while there
              on a business trip. He searched a week each direction, but didn't find any
              ship from Antwerp with Michael on it. He didn't have time to search
              anymore. I did search the Ellis Island web site. I did find him, I can't
              find the information I printed on him. I haven't been working much on this
              family lately. I have other families I am more interested in. Sometime
              when I have more time I will start working on him again.

              His first wife, Anna Farkasovsky interests me. She arrived in Philadelphia
              Sep 29, 1898. She gives her birth place as Zempl Bam Slovakia. Her last
              place of residence was either Soo or Sec Poland. She disappeared and I
              would love to know exactly what happened to her. Their grandchildren's
              stories differ on what happened to her. Supposedly she took off shortly
              after their last child was born because she missed her homeland. She was
              never seen or heard from again. This was about the time World War I was
              starting. The dates differ from 1913 - 1916. She may have taken their only
              son with her. The family stories differ on whether there ever was a son or
              not. They had 5 daughters, the youngest was either born in 1913 or 1915
              depending on what source I use. I checked for a passport for Anna at the
              National Archives, but there wasn't one. I later found out she wasn't a
              citizen so she wouldn't have one. Michael, according to one of his
              granddaughters, wasn't a very nice person. I have wondered if maybe he did
              her in. One granddaughter said that sometime after the mother left the baby
              boy's cup fell off a shelf and broke. Michael was superstitious and said
              that this was a sign that the boy had died.

              Koc^is^ is the original spelling I believe. Michael used both Kocis and
              Kochis. His children all used Kochis. He was a coal miner probably in one
              of the 2 mines you mentioned. At the time he died, May 23, 1943, he lived
              in Dunbar Twp, R. D. #1 Leisenring.

              Marlene