Town name Svinska

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 21, 2003
      An ancestor listed her birth place as Svinska, Austria. Any idea where
      this is?

      Ron
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 21, 2003
        Most people with that type of name were either from today's Czech
        Republic, South Poland or West Ukraine, all under Austrian rule till
        1918.
        A quick check with http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
        finds:
        SWINSKO 5133 1954 N Poland 67.3 miles SW of Warsaw

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 21, 2003
          Dear Ron,
          I am sure, you can imagine, that there were almost always more places with
          similar names.Therefore, a search for "Svinska" only brings more questions,
          than answers.
          Only in Slovakia, we have: Svinia, Svinica,Svinice, Svinna.
          Austria can be Austrian part of Austro-Hungary or can be short for Austro
          Hungary, which would include the hunagrian part too.
          At least a surname could narrow the place search/identification. Can he be
          found in EIDB?
          Always, when you are asking somebody for help, try to give as much as
          possible info, and not as little as possible.
          Also a brief outline of what has been done to date.
          Thanks,
          Vladimir

          > An ancestor listed her birth place as Svinska, Austria. Any idea where
          > this is?
          >
          > Ron

        • Jeanne and Fred Linley
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
            What is EIDB?

            Jeanne
          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
              At 07:44 AM 22/07/2003 -0400, you wrote:
              >What is EIDB?
              >
              >Jeanne

              You will get a stack of messages telling you it is Ellis island data base.
              Regards
              Nick

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                http://www.ellisisland.org

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                  The name of the immigrant is Andro Hric, also spelled Andrew Hricz or
                  Hritz. I could not find him in the EIDB, even though his naturalization
                  records indicate he immigrated 9 Aug 1888 into the Port of New York.

                  I could not find his daughter, Mary, in the EIDB, either. Her
                  naturalization papers say she immigrated on 15 May 1897 into the Port of
                  New York from Hamburg, Germany. Her father Americanized his name to
                  "Reese", so she could immigrated as a Hric, Hricz, Hritz, or Reese.

                  The name of the ship is unknown in both immigrations.

                  Any idea which village would be this "Svinska", given the family name?

                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                    Ron,
                    EIDB only indexed records of passengers from 1892 to 1924, so this would
                    explain Andro's absence.
                    Tell us more about Mary, we'll take a look at the EIDB as a second set
                    of eyes, looking for other clues.
                    Approx birth year, possible village of birth, possible destination.

                    Bill Tarkulich

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                      Mary Agnes Hric/Hricz/Hritz/Reese/Rees was born in Svinska on 19 Sep
                      1893 and immigrated on May 15, 1897.

                      Her father's declaration of intention in 1894 uses the name Hricz, and
                      his petition for naturalization in 1902 uses the name Reese, and Mary
                      Agnes indicates on her petition for naturalization that she immigrated
                      in 1897 under the name Mary Agnes Reese. Although it would be
                      surprising if she changed her name before she immigrated.

                      The odd thing is that Mary Agnes Reese is my grandpa John Tomko's 3rd
                      cousin, and all of my grandpa's ancestors, going back 3 generations
                      further in all lines, are from Trebisov, Zemplen County. So I would be
                      very surprised if Svinska is very far from Trebisov, although the child
                      or grandchild of the common Tomko/Hric ancestor could have moved to
                      anywhere before Mary Agnes was born.

                      I really appreciate your help with this.

                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                        If she was five years old when she traveled, who accompanied her?

                        ______________
                        Bill Tarkulich

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                          You have a lot of homework to do, and I can't do it for you.

                          Let's assume that EIDB has transcribed it incorrectly. If that's the
                          case, you can pursue the old fashioned way. Looking at manifests and
                          indices on microfilm.

                          First of all, You need to validate the dates given. You begin by
                          utilizing the Morton Allan Directory, which has been put online at
                          http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/shipmenu.htm It is an authoritative list
                          of all steamers into Port of NY during this period. Use the"Select a
                          Steamer from a List and by any Date " feature.

                          You will find that no steamer arrived from Hamburg on May 15, 1897.
                          There were arrivals
                          5/4/1897 Hamburg
                          5/7/1897Hamburg
                          5/8/1897Hamburg
                          5/14/1897 Bremen - 2 steamers
                          5/20/1897 Hamburg
                          5/20/1897 Bremen

                          These naturalization docs from this period are often wrong.
                          Now, either she was confused about what port she departed from, or her
                          date of arrival, or she confused her embarkation date from her
                          debarkation date.
                          In any event, don't hang your hat on anything but that she came from a
                          port in Germany somewhere in the month of May, 1897.

                          Now, use missing manifests,
                          http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/mm.htm?back=index.htm, you can
                          view the manifest microfilms from EIDB chronologically, starting at any
                          date you desire, just like we did in the old days with microfilm. The
                          instructions are right there. Depend on the Morton-Allen directory to
                          direct you to the potential ship. Then "page" (frame) through the
                          manifest, looking for the names.

                          The SOUNDEX system won't work for you since it only covers 1902-1943.

                          You can probably find Andro Hric,records indicate he immigrated 9 Aug
                          1888 into the Port of New York.
                          The Mormons have the passenger list film for that period:
                          Passenger lists 16 Jul 1888-10 Aug 1888 FHL US/CAN Film Number 1027759

                          I'd use Morton-Allan to look for candidate ships. Ports of Bremen or
                          Hamburg were frequently used by our immigrants.

                          It's not in EIDB, but you can find it the old fashioned way: go in,
                          order the film and roll through it.
                          It's actually a bit more exciting to go in and do it with microfilm.

                          You can still trudge through EIDB for Maria, but you'll need to look at
                          the written manifests. Don't count on the transcribed/typed
                          information. They made a huge number of transcription errors. You
                          don't need transcription errors masking transcription errors.

                          Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

                          ______________
                          Bill Tarkulich

                          Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                          > Ron,
                          > EIDB only indexed records of passengers from 1892 to 1924, so this
                          > would explain Andro's absence. Tell us more about Mary, we'll take a
                          > look at the EIDB as a second set of eyes, looking for other clues.
                          > Approx birth year, possible village of birth, possible destination.
                          >
                          > Bill Tarkulich

                        • John M,
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                            At 05:11 PM 7/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                            >Mary Agnes Hric/Hricz/Hritz/Reese/Rees was born in Svinska on 19 Sep
                            >1893 and immigrated on May 15, 1897.

                            There is one Hric in Trebisov, nine in Mihalovce, about 15 in Presov,
                            probably more than 70 in Kosice. It appears that Hric is the more popular
                            version of the spelling currently in Slovakia. The "cz" in Hungarian is
                            pronounced "ts". I believe the Slovak "c" can be pronounced "ts". The
                            Hungarian Maczko and Slovak Macko are both pronounced Mah-tsko. I think
                            the Slovak Hric would be pronounced Hrits.

                            >The odd thing is that Mary Agnes Reese is my grandpa John Tomko's 3rd
                            >cousin, and all of my grandpa's ancestors, going back 3 generations
                            >further in all lines, are from Trebisov, Zemplen County. So I would be
                            >very surprised if Svinska is very far from Trebisov,

                            Svinica is 13.3 miles WNW of Trebisov (S^aris^ ) and Svinice is 13.8 miles
                            SSE of Trebisov (Zemplen).

                            John M.
                          • Ron Milliken
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                              Thanks for the info. I didn't know Morton Allan was on the internet ...
                              I am used to traveling to the National Archives Branches in NYC and
                              Philadelphia to use Morton Allan as well as the passenger lists &
                              indices, and the naturalization and census records at those facilities.
                              I can go through passenger lists and census records much faster on
                              microfilm than on the internet, even with high speed access.

                              I am a great believer in doing genealogical research the old fashioned
                              way, and have been doing so for over 20 years. I am in my element in
                              libraries, church offices, archives, dusty storage rooms in courthouse
                              basements and annexes, etc ... you know the routine. I love doing my
                              research in the towns and counties where my ancestors lived. I mainly
                              use the internet to point me to the facilities that would have the
                              records about my ancestors, and then I travel to those facilities to
                              look at the records first hand, rather than use internet transcriptions.

                              I just started researching the Hric/Reese line, which are 3rd cousins of
                              my ancestors. I will be traveling to the county where they lived next
                              week to research civil records, and the church they attended is already
                              working on making copies of their records. Hopefully, I will find other
                              references to their home village in Slovakia, which could include the
                              name of the county as well. I started this thread hoping someone knew
                              about that village "Svinska", as I could not find it.

                              Do you know if the index/soundex for the 1900 census is available on the
                              internet?

                              Ron

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 22, 2003
                                Thanks for the info. Even though he used the names Andrew
                                Hricz/Hritz/Reese in America, I found his tombstone was marked Andro
                                Hric. Interesting that after using the Americanized name "Reese" for
                                many years, he was buried under the old name "Hric". One of the
                                villages you mentioned is probably the correct one. I hope to find the
                                county soon through other records in America.

                                Ron

                                John M, wrote:

                                > At 05:11 PM 7/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                                > >Mary Agnes Hric/Hricz/Hritz/Reese/Rees was born in Svinska on 19 Sep
                                > >1893 and immigrated on May 15, 1897.
                                >
                                > There is one Hric in Trebisov, nine in Mihalovce, about 15 in Presov,
                                > probably more than 70 in Kosice. It appears that Hric is the more
                                > popular
                                > version of the spelling currently in Slovakia. The "cz" in Hungarian is
                                > pronounced "ts". I believe the Slovak "c" can be pronounced "ts". The
                                > Hungarian Maczko and Slovak Macko are both pronounced Mah-tsko. I think
                                > the Slovak Hric would be pronounced Hrits.
                                >
                                > >The odd thing is that Mary Agnes Reese is my grandpa John Tomko's 3rd
                                > >cousin, and all of my grandpa's ancestors, going back 3 generations
                                > >further in all lines, are from Trebisov, Zemplen County. So I would be
                                > >very surprised if Svinska is very far from Trebisov,
                                >
                                > Svinica is 13.3 miles WNW of Trebisov (S^aris^ ) and Svinice is 13.8
                                > miles
                                > SSE of Trebisov (Zemplen).
                                >
                                > John M.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705040837:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124bf4lrb/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595056>

                                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                              • Terry L. Karkos
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
                                  I came across a Hric while researching my Karkos line. I have his
                                  obituary if you want it. His name was John J. Hric, Jr. (wife was
                                  Mary E. Gamrat) and he was the son of John J. and Susan Borcsak Hric
                                  Sr. John Jr. was from the Lisbon Falls, Maine Slovak community, many
                                  of whom came from the Parchovany/Trebisov areas.

                                  At Mt. Calvary Cemetery in Lisbon Falls, where many Slovaks are
                                  buried (there is another Slovak cemetery in town also), there is a
                                  stone for a Joseph Hric, 1870-1933, who is the father of John J. Hric
                                  Sr., who was born Jan. 13, 1892 and died Feb. 8, 1968. His wife,
                                  Susan Borcsak was born July 15, 1895 and died Nov. 20, 1980.

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>

                                  Service

                                • Frank
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
                                    Ron

                                    You like to do your genealogical surname reserach the old way.

                                    Sometimes in ship manifests Slovakia place names ending in -ica
                                    were spelled using -ska ending.
                                    (-ská can be a fem. gender word ending)

                                    Svinica (Sk) Peto"szinye (H) is located :
                                    10 miles from Kos^ice
                                    13 miles from Trebis^ov
                                    21 miles from Pres^ov and Michalovce

                                    The LDS-Mormons have filmed the Kos^ice parish church records
                                    for Svinica.

                                    Svinica (RC)
                                    (See Ruskov)
                                    1789-1901
                                    Svinica (Ev)
                                    (See Vys^ná Kamenica)
                                    1776-1896
                                    Svinica (GC)
                                    (See Kos^icky' Klec^enov)
                                    1788-1906
                                    Svinica (Ref)
                                    (See Bidovce)
                                    1737-1897
                                    Svinica (Ref)
                                    -------------
                                    Svinice (GC) Szinyér (H)
                                    (See Zemplín)
                                    1804-1895
                                    Svinice (RC)
                                    (See Rad)
                                    1749-1780,1815-1869

                                    Hungarian English
                                    rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                                    ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                                    izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                                    vel'a s^t'astia !

                                    Frank K
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
                                      SOURCE: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html
                                      Immigrants from Svinska:

                                      1 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
                                      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

                                      193 Feciskamin,Anna Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 12 Passenger
                                      Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      194 Feciskamin,Helena Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 3 Passenger
                                      Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      195 Feciskamin,Ila Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 35 Passenger Record
                                      Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      196 Feciskamin,Michael Sviniszki, Cecho Slovakia 1921 14 Passenger
                                      Record Text Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      197
                                      182 Drmeeie,Gyuro Svanysko, Hungary 1909 20 Passenger Record Text
                                      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      818 Plesa,Marya Sevanska, Hungary 1914 26 Passenger Record Text
                                      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      819 Plesa,Mauric Sevanska, Hungary 1914 44 Passenger Record Text
                                      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      823 Polifka,Maria Svinska, Cz. Slov. 1921 17 Passenger Record Text
                                      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      846 Rak,Franjo Svanjska 1906 36 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                      Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                      1238 Zlokara,Mile Sweniski, Hungary 1912 28 Passenger Record Text
                                      Manifest Scanned Manifest Ship Image

                                      consider that present day SVINCA (SE of Kosice) was called SWINCZA AND
                                      PETOSZINYE by the Magyars
                                      Austria Hungary could also include, Czech republic, Galicia (Poland) or
                                      western Ukraine

                                      ______________
                                      Bill Tarkulich

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 23, 2003
                                        consider
                                        1 ...aicz,Michael Bremen 1897 16 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                        Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                        2 Hrisch,Mathia Madereben 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                        Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                        3 Hricz,Andras Rijo 1898 23 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        4 Hricz,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        5 Hricz,Anna Gezsony 1897 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        6 Hricz,Gyorgy Cselej 1898 28 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        7 Hricz,Janos 1896 20 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        8 Hricz,Janos 1896 25 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        9 Hricz,Jozsef Also Repas 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                        Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                        10 Hricz,Koczyban Sczerbanynka 1897 30 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                        Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                        11 Hricz,Maria 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        12 Hricz,Maria Ragyocz 1898 19 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                        Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                        13 Hricz,Mihaly 1896 3 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        14 Hricz,Mihalz 1896 18 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        15 Hrics,Anna 1896 22 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        16 Hrics,Anna 1896 0 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image
                                        17 Hrics,Mihaly Davidvagas 1897 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest
                                        Scanned Manifest Ship Image
                                        18 Hrics,Ystvan Rijo 1898 24 Passenger Record Text Manifest Scanned
                                        Manifest Ship Image

                                        Don't be surprised if they messed up the given name - I like the Mihaly
                                        entry 1896, age 3, but I can't find the manifest online. Well, more
                                        work for you. And what about #11, Maria, 1896 - age 0 , usually means
                                        age is in months. Mistakes are all over the place, check em out!

                                        Bill Tarkulich