Re: [S-R] Ruthenia

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2003
      At 12:09 PM 7/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >The area we are visiting that the Kuriplachs are from is Nizna Rybnica -
      >it was Alsohalas (Ung) Hungary - but they said they were Ruthenian and
      >spoke Ruthenian and I found Ruthenia on an old map. Does anyone know if
      >there are records for this area on line? Thanks.
      >Liz Dente

      If you are speaking of historical information, just type Ruthenia into
      Google and you'll get at least 20,000 hits. If you are speaking of
      genealogical records, part of what was called Ruthenia was in Upper Hungary
      and is now part of Slovakia. The LDS has microfilmed the church records of
      that area of Slovakia and they are available at your local LDS Family
      History Center.

      The Greek Catholic records for Nizna Rybnica are on microfilms:

      Krstení 1821-1848 Zomrelí 1820-1848 Sobásení 1823-1849 Krstení 1849-1852 -
      FHL INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 5-6 ]

      Krstení 1853-1890 Zomrelí 1848-1890 Sobásení 1850-1890 Krstení 1891-1910
      Zomrelí 1891-1909 Sobásení 1891-1909 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792926 Items 1-2 ]
      ********
      These are the records of baptism- krsteni, marriage- sobaseni, death-
      zomreli . The Evangelical records are with the records of Luc^ky.

      One explanation of Ruthenian:

      From a posting by Elaine Rusinko on the Rusyn mailing list:

      "On "Ruthenian" -- here's a passage from my book. The editorialist mentioned
      below, Fentsyk, was a Russophile. Actually, the people identified
      themselves as "russkii" -- which to them meant "Rusyn/Rusnak," but to
      Russians meant "Russian". The term "Rusyn" ("rusynskii") is fairly modern.
      Part of the problem in the discussion that's been going on is that so few
      of us know the original language.

      The Hungarian government, recognizing that Slavs outnumbered Magyars in
      their own country, promoted the use of Rusyn vernacular, as put forth in
      Chopei's dictionary and textbooks. Based on the Rusyn dialects of the
      lowland regions, which were heavily infiltrated with magyarisms, it
      effectively distanced Rusyns both from Russians and from their fellow
      Rusyns in Galicia. The government designated it with the Latin-based term
      'Ruthenian,' and declared it an independent language, not a dialect of
      Russian. For Russophile-oriented Rusyn nationalists, this fabricated
      language and identity were just as alien as Hungarian. In an editorial in
      Listok, Ievhenii Fentsyk indignantly rejected the imposed nomenclature.
      No doubt you, respected readers, will be astonished at the word
      'Ruthenian.' You cannot imagine what the word means . . . But your surprise
      will be extreme, when I tell you that 'Ruthenians' are -- you . . .
      Although the people has never called itself by this name, today it is
      considered the Ruthenian people. Its language is also called the 'Ruthenian
      language' . . . Can you imagine a people without a name, for whom other,
      alien people choose a name without their consent? . . . Would it not be
      shameful for us to be invented by other, alien people and to accept their
      name? . . . We have an ancient name -- there is no need to substitute it
      with a new one . . . Every person, and consequently an entire people,
      should be called by the name they call themselves, since one must presume
      that every person knows his own name best. ('Rufeny,' Listok, no. 3, 1886,
      p. 129.)"

      http://www.utppublishing.com/detail.asp?TitleID=26

      I found one Kuriplac^ (pronounced Kuriplach) in Nizna Hrus^ov, and four in
      Michalovce using the online SK phone directory.

      John M.
    • Catherine Skapura
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 19, 2003
        This might be useful:
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9479/rusyn.html

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
          If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates that
          Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at locally.
          You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if you
          put the request in now.

          Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
          Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
          Nižná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas), Ung,
          Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
          Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
          Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.

          Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references to
          assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.

          Have you worked with their FHCs before?

          Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
          someday.
          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          The area we are visiting that the Kuriplachs are from is Nizna Rybnica -
          it was Alsohalas (Ung) Hungary - but they said they were Ruthenian and
          spoke Ruthenian and I found Ruthenia on an old map. Does anyone know if
          there are records for this area on line? Thanks.
          Liz Dente

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill@i...>
            wrote:

            > If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates
            that
            > Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at
            locally.
            > You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if
            you
            > put the request in now.
            >
            > Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
            > Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
            > Ni¾ná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas),
            Ung,
            > Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
            > Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
            > Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
            >
            > Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references
            > assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.
            >
            > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
            > Have you worked with their FHCs before?
            >
            > Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
            > someday.
            > ______________
            > Bill Tarkulich

            The online Ellis Island Records list only 6 surnames Kuriplach.

            In 1899, a János (H) John Kuriplach , age 38, married,
            emigrated from Alsóribnyicza, Hungary.
            In 1907, a János Kuriplach, age 47, married, emigrated
            to address of his brother-in-law János Podolak in Andeuried
            PA.
            He came with his daughter, Anna, age 16.
            Both were born in Alsóhalas, Hungary and Final Destination
            was Audenreid PA.
            John had been in U.S. previously (1900/1913) and I think this was the
            same János Kuriplach both times.

            Beaver Brook was located in Luzerne CO PA.
            Audenreid was located in Carbon CO PA near McAdoo which was located in
            Schuylkill CO PA.

            Expect surnames Kuriplach in PA can't have been Protestant because
            there was :

            St. Patrick's Church (Irish)
            St. Mary's Church (Slovak)
            St. Stephen's Church (Magyar)
            and St. Mary's Ukrainian Church

            http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~sfpayer/Pictures/MineScenery/pages/Mc
            AdooAero.htm

            Niz^ná Rybnica is located 234 miles ENE of Bratislava and just
            1 miles west of Sobrance in eastern Slovakia.

            Today, Niz^ná Rybnica is in two sections along a kanal (canal)
            Rybník means a fish pond or lake in Slovak.

            The LDS has filmed the Calvinist church records (1747-1938) for Niz^ná
            Rybnica (Sk) Alsó-Ribnyicza/Alsóhalas (H)
            Listed under Lúc^ky ; formerly Lucska, Ung megye, Hungary.
            Text in Latin and Hungarian.

            Incidently, in 1960 a large artificial lake (Zemplinska' s^irava) was
            created for industrial purposes and it stretches from Michalovce and
            beyond Luc^ky eastward.
            Neither is the Danube River blue because of industrialization.
            Although the (Viennese) Blue Danube Waltz by Johann Strauss Jr. has
            endured for over a century.
            ' An der Schönen blauen Donau "
            (On the Beautiful Blue Danube)
          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
              Dear Frank and others involved,
              I don't know, whether you ever have researched the Greek catholic records,
              but usually, there is a great portion of them written in cyrillic script,
              which is a challenge even for those, who know well russian.
              The names often need some sort of translation and the writing might well be
              almost impossible to decypher. Such a situation does intimidate, because, if
              you can not positively identify a couple or even more of records, any
              research is useless and very frustrating.
              I do read russian, but had trouble with some records. While on the spot, the
              Internet help does not help you. One would have to copy everything and bring
              it home, which is not possible or just too much.
              A novice at the Greek catholic films has almost no chance to be successful.
              Regards,
              Vladimir

              > > If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates
              > that
              > > Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at
              > locally.
              > > You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if
              > you
              > > put the request in now.
              > >
              > > Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
              > > Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
              > > Ni¾ná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas),
              > Ung,
              > > Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
              > > Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
              > > Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
              > >
              > > Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references
              > > assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.
              > >
              > > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
              > > Have you worked with their FHCs before?
              > >
              > > Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
              > > someday.
              > > ______________
              > > Bill Tarkulich

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
                wrote:
                > Dear Frank and others involved,
                > I don't know, whether you ever have researched the Greek catholic
                records,
                > but usually, there is a great portion of them written in cyrillic
                script,
                > which is a challenge even for those, who know well russian.
                > The names often need some sort of translation and the writing might
                well be
                > almost impossible to decypher. Such a situation does intimidate,
                because, if
                > you can not positively identify a couple or even more of records,
                any
                > research is useless and very frustrating.
                > I do read russian, but had trouble with some records. While on the
                spot, the
                > Internet help does not help you. One would have to copy everything
                and bring
                > it home, which is not possible or just too much.
                > A novice at the Greek catholic films has almost no chance to be
                successful.
                > Regards,
                > Vladimir

                Dear Vladimir,

                What you write may be true of the LDS Greek Catholic microfilms.

                I have transliterated both Greek Catholic (Byzantine) rite and
                Russian Orthodox church records to English , however, these were all
                from American churches.

                Greek (Byzantine) Catholic rite or Russian Orthodox in U.S. raises
                another interesting subject.

                http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:LdePLLBFAvAJ:feefhs.org/fij/peter
                s1.html+Ruthenian+and+Russian+Orthodox&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

                From my reply to Elizabeth Dente re McAdoo PA, US Ukrainian (Russian
                Orthodox) Church below.

                http://216.239.39.104/search?hl=en&q=cache:ChELUqsEYugJ:http://w3.mivl
                md.cablespeed.com/~sfpayer/Pictures/MineScenery/pages/McAdooAero.htm+M
                cAdooaero

                http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:ChELUqsEYugJ:w3.mivlmd.cablespeed
                .com/~sfpayer/Pictures/MineScenery/pages/McAdooAero.htm+McAdooaero&hl=
                en&ie=UTF-8

                Regards,

                Frank K

              • Alyssa Eppich
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                  Vladimir,
                  I believe that the Cyrillic you see in old GC records is actually old church Slavonic, which is why it's such a challenge!
                  Alyssa

                  > > If you haven't already uncovered it The Mormon's index indicates
                  > that
                  > > Nizna Rybnica church records are available for you to look at
                  > locally.
                  > > You can probably be looking at the church books in a few weeks if
                  > you
                  > > put the request in now.
                  > >
                  > > Cirkevná matrika, 1820-1910
                  > > Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for
                  > > Ni¾ná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or Alsóhalas),
                  > Ung,
                  > > Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce, Slovakia, formerly
                  > > Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance, Slovakia, formerly
                  > > Szobránc, Ung, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
                  > >
                  > > Don't be intimidated by the language. There are on web references
                  > > assist with the decoding and names don't really need translation.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                  > > Have you worked with their FHCs before?
                  > >
                  > > Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. Hope you make it back
                  > > someday.
                  > > ______________
                  > > Bill Tarkulich

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                    Dear Alyssa,
                    You probably don't know, that I am a bad partner to talk to about so called
                    "Church slavonic":-)
                    I do not accept this term, although it is in all dictionaries etc. The word
                    "slavonic" is an old mistake.
                    Slavonija is a part of Croatia and has nothing to do with the matter.Imagine
                    this: on Internet I found a site that mentions " Slavonic dances" of Antonin
                    Dvorak. It should have been "Savic dances"
                    Such stupidities make me mad. Antonon ( a Czech), must be turning in his
                    grave.
                    What we encounter in most of the Gc records is not Old church slavic. The
                    letters are cyrillic and the records can be found even in the 20 century!
                    The language is rather Rusyn or Ukrainian.
                    In order to be able to read such records,, one has to know the russian
                    language at least, if not the Rusyn one. Very often, the script is so bad,
                    that you really have to be a detective and code breaker to figure out, what
                    the name is and what the record says. By not bing able to read this
                    properly, any "research" is waste of time.
                    Best,

                  • Alyssa Eppich
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                      Vladimir,
                      Although I agree that the term "slavonic" is a misnomer, it is unfortunately accepted in most academic circles. I was a Russian studies major(many many years ago), so although I can read Russian, I'm pretty rusty speaking it. It has helped, however, to have this backround as I research.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                        wrote:
                        > Dear Alyssa,
                        > You probably don't know, that I am a bad partner to talk to about so
                        called
                        > "Church slavonic":-)
                        > I do not accept this term, although it is in all dictionaries etc.
                        The word
                        > "slavonic" is an old mistake.
                        > Slavonija is a part of Croatia and has nothing to do with the
                        matter.Imagine
                        > this: on Internet I found a site that mentions " Slavonic dances" of
                        Antonin
                        > Dvorak. It should have been "Savic dances"
                        > Such stupidities make me mad. Antonon ( a Czech), must be turning in
                        his
                        > grave.
                        > What we encounter in most of the Gc records is not Old church
                        slavic. The
                        > letters are cyrillic and the records can be found even in the 20
                        century!
                        > The language is rather Rusyn or Ukrainian.
                        > In order to be able to read such records,, one has to know the
                        russian
                        > language at least, if not the Rusyn one. Very often, the script is
                        so bad,
                        > that you really have to be a detective and code breaker to figure
                        out, what
                        > the name is and what the record says. By not bing able to read this
                        > properly, any "research" is waste of time.
                        > Best,
                        > Vladimir

                        Dear Vladimir and Alyssa (below)

                        Slavic can be a branch of the Indo-European family of
                        languages, usually divided into East Slavic, West Slavic,
                        and South Slavic.

                        East Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian)
                        West Slavic (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Sorbian)
                        South Slavic (Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Bulgarian,
                        Old Church Slavonic)

                        Did you actually mean Russian Cyrillic or Old Church Slavonic ?

                        Russian Orthodox has a standard form for sacramental registers.
                        B bI || |/| C b |/| 3 b M E T P |/| | E C K O |/|

                        K P E ||| E H |/| I A = baptism

                        also there are short-form certificates

                        Only modern Old Church Slavonic alphabet was a fore runner of Cyrillic
                        alphabet.

                        http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ocslavonic.htm

                        Although Church Slavonic is sometimes called "Old Church Slavonic,"
                        "Old Slavonic," or "Old Church Slavic," it has been revised several
                        times throughout its history, most recently in the 18th century under
                        the Empress Elizabeth. The term "Old Church Slavonic" properly
                        belongs to the form of the language that was used in the 9th-12th
                        centuries and not to the modern form of Church Slavonic that is
                        currently used in the Russian Orthodox
                        Church.
                        Below deals almost exclusively with the modern form of the language.

                        http://justin.zamora.com/slavonic/alphabet/transliteration.html
                        http://justin.zamora.com/slavonic/alphabet/diacritics.html

                        http://park.kiev.ua/multiling/koi8-u/translit.html

                        I believe root word meanings depend on where one is standing ?

                        Slovenia had once been part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans until
                        it gained its independence in 1990s.
                        Slovakia had once been part of Czechoslovakia in Central Europe until
                        it gained its independence in 1993.

                        If you write to Slovenija and don't use Slovenia, the letter gets
                        mailed to Slovakia.
                        If you address the envelope to Slovensko (Slovakia) the letter is
                        probably sent to Slovenia.
                        U.S. Postal Service only recognizes these two countries under
                        "Slovenia" and "Slovak Republic".

                        Have read any number of pre-WW I ship manifests and 1900/1910/1920
                        U.S. Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean
                        either a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable was
                        the writer)

                        There was confusion even back then which continues into 2003.

                        A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
                        Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war was being waged)
                        The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
                        Bratislava,Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct
                        address in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

                        A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
                        and was denied entry.
                        The Slovak border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was
                        convinced it was a forgered Slovakia passport.
                        After conversation with the customs supervisor the Slovenian was able
                        to convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

                        Frank K

                        Service.

                        email to

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.489 (20030819) __________

                        > > http://www.eset.sk

                      • Alyssa Eppich
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                          Frank,
                          Thanks! I could not have done better!
> [...]

                          U.S. Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean
                          either a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable was
                          the writer)

                          There was confusion even back then which continues into 2003.

                          A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
                          Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war was being waged)
                          The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
                          Bratislava,Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct
                          address in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

                          A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
                          and was denied entry.
                          The Slovak border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was
                          convinced it was a forgered Slovakia passport.
                          After conversation with the customs supervisor the Slovenian was able
                          to convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

                          Service.

                          email to

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.489 (20030819) __________

                          > > http://www.eset.sk

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Alyssa Eppich
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                            Frank,
                            Thank you, too, for providing access to the sites on modern Slavonic-I will end up spending all afternoon looking at them!
                            Again,
> [...]

                            U.S. Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean
                            either a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable was
                            the writer)

                            There was confusion even back then which continues into 2003.

                            A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
                            Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war was being waged)
                            The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
                            Bratislava,Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct
                            address in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

                            A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
                            and was denied entry.
                            The Slovak border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was
                            convinced it was a forgered Slovakia passport.
                            After conversation with the customs supervisor the Slovenian was able
                            to convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

                            Service.

                            email to

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            > > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.489 (20030819) __________

                            > > http://www.eset.sk

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Frank
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa Eppich" <eppicha@c...>
                              wrote:
                              > Frank,
                              > Thank you, too, for providing access to the sites on modern
                              Slavonic-I will end up spending all afternoon looking at them!
                              > Again,

                              Alyssa

                              You will want Zamora's website Help Me Learn Church Slavonic.

                              http://justin.zamora.com/slavonic/

                              The correct Kiev Kyyi K || B Kiiv URL :

                              http://cad.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua/multiling/koi8-u/

                              C h A C T J| |/| B O !

                              Frank
                            • Alyssa Eppich
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2003
                                Spasibo!
                                Alya

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 8, 2003
                                  Dear Frank,
                                  I know and I understand, that the term Old church slavonic is widely
                                  accepted.
                                  But i do not think, it is accepted by the Slavic slavicists.
                                  The word slavonic refers to Slavs. But it is the wrong word, somebody picked
                                  for that.
                                  If you translate "old church slavonic" back to a slavic language, what do
                                  you get? A nonsense.
                                  Slavs used to be called Slovani, Slavjani, Sloveni etc, but never Slavoni or
                                  Slavonci.
                                  I really wish, somebody would understand this.
                                  Slavonic can only pertain to Slavonia or Slavonians or Slavonci, as they are
                                  called.
                                  For all the Slavs, it should have been Slovanic or Slavic or even Slavjanic,
                                  but never Slavonic.
                                  talking about Slovan - Slovanic, I am not sure, whether the word Slavonic is
                                  not just a result of dislexia, so unbelieveable it may sound. I see no other
                                  explanation.
                                  When reading Ellis Island records, one can see, hom much trouble the english
                                  or german or french speaking officers had when they had to write Slovakia or
                                  Slovenia. Unbelievable, what did they come up with.
                                  On the other hand, I can understand, that since none of you is speaking
                                  slavic languages, you just can not have the same feeling about this mistake
                                  as I do.
                                  But what would you say, if the Slavs would be saying Amuricans instead of
                                  Americans?

                                  This warmed me up.Thank you.
                                  Mr.Lowell Brigham, a member of the list, just walked into my office half an
                                  hour ago, with his wife and a slovak cousin. He is all right, going to see
                                  the Tatras for the next couple of days and will be back on Sunday.
                                  Best,
                                  Vladimir