Re: Slovak archives

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 1999
      Hi Jim,

      I can understand your frustration, and I agree with your summation of
      the situation (you have to know all the facts to find what you want).

      However, I think this is true of most research.... in fact the only
      place/country I know of off-hand where you can send a request not
      knowing an exact place with some hope of getting a result is the Czech
      archives.... at least in my experience.... as they will keep forwarding
      the request to different regional archives until they find the info, a
      possible reason it takes nearly a year to get an answer.

      In my Berlin Germany research, you have to know the exact church the
      couple attended, as even requests to the General Lutheran Archives have
      to cite an exact church. They will not do general searches.

      And lets be fair and think about it....if someone in Europe is trying to
      locate someone in the US, they can't use a general index to births
      marriages and deaths for the whole country, they'd have to know at least
      the state, or more in some instances (like NY State vs. NYC borough
      records).

      I guess it boils down to just being those "brick walls" we all come up
      against in our research, which is often made more difficult by things
      like common names, unclear information on the person, records not being
      filmed for easy access, and uncooperative (for whatever reasons)
      archives.

      Oh well...... no one ever said this was going to be easy :)

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • RMH
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 1999
        Do you mean that a "waspy"-sounding name like Honeychuck was actually
        Hanicak? Wow! Never would have guessed! Regina Rabatin Haring

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 1999
          I know a family in SW Pa who is HANCAK and go to church with a family
          who is HANCUK and all have roots in Vychodno Slovensko (Eastern
          Slovakia).

          So pick a spelling any spelling.......

          "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"