Slovak archives

  • Jim Honeychuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 1999
      On the subject of Slovak archives vs. LDS microfilms...

      Just today I completed my first experience with archives in Slovakia. I
      found the process to be time-consuming (over six months), expensive (about
      $40 for one piece of paper), and incomplete (didn't get exactly what I was
      looking for).

      Also surprising is that the Slovak National Archives cannot find the record
      of someone born in what is now Slovakia unless you tell them where to look.
      Hard to believe, but true, and I quote the Director, who even has a PhD:
      "To start any genealogical research the name of the locality is needed."
      So it's sort of Catch-22: to find out what you want to know, you have to
      already know it.

      So if, like me, you do not know where your ancestors are from in Slovakia,
      you can either search every microfilm LDS has for $3.45 each, or get the
      Slovak archives to search for you town by town and pay, I don't know,
      thousands?

      Jim Honeychuck
      researching Hanicak (found), Urban (not found), and Puhalla (not found)
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 1999
        Hi Jim,

        I can understand your frustration, and I agree with your summation of
        the situation (you have to know all the facts to find what you want).

        However, I think this is true of most research.... in fact the only
        place/country I know of off-hand where you can send a request not
        knowing an exact place with some hope of getting a result is the Czech
        archives.... at least in my experience.... as they will keep forwarding
        the request to different regional archives until they find the info, a
        possible reason it takes nearly a year to get an answer.

        In my Berlin Germany research, you have to know the exact church the
        couple attended, as even requests to the General Lutheran Archives have
        to cite an exact church. They will not do general searches.

        And lets be fair and think about it....if someone in Europe is trying to
        locate someone in the US, they can't use a general index to births
        marriages and deaths for the whole country, they'd have to know at least
        the state, or more in some instances (like NY State vs. NYC borough
        records).

        I guess it boils down to just being those "brick walls" we all come up
        against in our research, which is often made more difficult by things
        like common names, unclear information on the person, records not being
        filmed for easy access, and uncooperative (for whatever reasons)
        archives.

        Oh well...... no one ever said this was going to be easy :)

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • RMH
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 1999
          Do you mean that a "waspy"-sounding name like Honeychuck was actually
          Hanicak? Wow! Never would have guessed! Regina Rabatin Haring

        • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 1999
            I know a family in SW Pa who is HANCAK and go to church with a family
            who is HANCUK and all have roots in Vychodno Slovensko (Eastern
            Slovakia).

            So pick a spelling any spelling.......

            "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"