Town Name Confusion

  • Mebjwb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2003
      Please Help!!!

      Researching Pavlik and Olsavsky.

      I need advice and information, yet again.

      I spent last Friday and today going through the records for Hazin, Slovakia
      without any productive results. I went through the Church records for Velke
      Zaluzice and the 1869 Census records for Hazin (Haszina, Zemplen County) for
      1869. I did not find any records for my family. There were Pavlyiks and
      Olsavskys listed, but not any that indicated my particular families.

      I have several questions:

      1. Did Hazin nad Cirochou have a RC church? Is it located in Ung County?
      Do you have a LDS file number for the church records of this town?

      2. The ship manifest, printed view only because original manifest image is
      not
      available, shows gm as returning to U.S. in August, 1905 with her
      three
      children. The place they were living is shown as Haslin. It also
      shows four
      other passengers, all from Haslin. On the advice of a list reader in
      Pittsburgh,
      I took this to really mean Hazin, Ung County.

      Could this town listing be an error, and really mean Hazin? Or is
      there a
      town in Ung County called Haslin?

      I now have Hazin (Ung and Zemplen counties), Hazin nad Cirochou (County
      unknown, and Haslin (County unknown). Can anyone clarify these towns
      for
      me? I am looking for this town in Ung or Zemplen Counties. Time period
      from 1850-1900.

      3. I also reviewed ,a number of times, the 1869 Census for Hazin (Haszina,
      Zemplen County). There were some Pavlyiks, and one Olsavsky, Janos,
      but none that could be construed as my ancestors.

      Can anyone tell me if there was an 1869 Census for Ung County? I have
      reviewed the counties listed by Bill, but do not find that county as
      being
      filmed by the LDS Church.

      I am at a loss as to where to try next. I was really counting on those
      church records and the 1869 Census. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you so much.

      Marge B.