Re: Death Certificate Information

  • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 1999
      Dear List:

      I am still trying to search for information on the place my grandmother was
      born. Her name is Minnie CERNY.

      I was always told that she was born in Pennsylvannia, but was
      Czechoslovakian. My first cousin, (same grandma) was told she was born in
      Bohemia, Czech. Now upon receiving her death certificate from Florida, it
      says that she was born in New York City.

      I know you NEVER use one source as "gospel"...but because of this situation,
      I have decided that Death Certificate Information is only as reliable as the
      the information given by the "informant". From personal knowledge, I
      remember grandma passed away in her sleep suddenly, and my aunt was the
      "informant"..and possibly gave wrong information.

      Now for my questions, she was not found in the 1920 census for the Bronx.
      This was checked by soundex for me by the FHC. I probably should manually
      check this census....and I believe I have their address, because her husband
      died at home, and that address is listed on his death cert.

      I should request a copy of her birth cert...just in case the information on
      the death cert is accurate. Right?

      Does FHC have any records from Bohemia, Czech like birth certs....??

      I have yet to find her on any ships coming to the US....
      any suggestions where to go now would help!!! I value all your opinions.
      God Bless
      Rosemary - Las Vegas
      Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI, GARRISON,
      GILLSON, MONASTRA & SLADKY