RE: [S-R] Re: Migration from Hungary to U.S. by European Ports of Exit

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2003
      Hungary's 1903 law was "leaky" at best. It was most effective in the
      cities, where people could be more quickly monitored. Stories of people
      smuggling in Upper Hungary are legend. In fact, certain people (I have
      names...) made their living moving people across the border into
      Galicia and then onwards to the German Ports.

      While Franks' data are telling, a comparative chart
      http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm illustrates the "leakiness" of the
      policy. In fact, the German ports of Bremen and Hamburg combined always
      exceeded Fiume in years after 1903 (and before).

      Bill Tarkulich