RE: [S-R] Filby"s Passenger & Immigration List Index

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2003
      While the reliability of these lists is fairly good, they don't capture
      the period of immigration to America that most people searching Central
      and East European (including Slovakia) roots need. Filby's contains
      records of immigration to America pre-1820. Since most East European
      immigrants arrived from about 1880 to 1918, this excludes Filby's from
      being of much use.

      In all my years of research, I have never heard of Filby's being offered
      as a useful resource for Central Europe. The only compiled index I am
      aware of was produced by Leo Baca. It includes only Czech region
      immigrants and has been moderately useful to Bohemia and Moravia
      researchers. See
      http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/References/Leo%20Baca.htm

      Regards,
      Bill Tarkulich

      Details on Filby's:

      http://www.presley-pressley.com/immig_Filbys.htm

      http://www.presley-pressley.com/immig_Filbys2.htm

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2003
          Only if their ethnicity was German.
          Bill

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2003
            Hamburg http://www.hamburg.de/LinkToYourRoots/english/welcome.htm has
            made an attempt to capture emigrants who departed from this port based
            on local Hamburg records. The work is in a very embryonic stage, but
            holds promise for the future, especially for those whose destination was
            other than Port of New York.

            A similar effort for Bremen. It is not free however.
            http://www.deutsche-auswanderer-datenbank.de/enframeset.htm
            http://db.genealogy.net/maus/gate/shiplists.cgi?lang=en

            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2003
              Oops.

              Use this link for Hamburg
              http://www.hamburg.de/fhh/behoerden/staatsarchiv/link_to_your_roots/engl
              ish/index.htm

              Bill

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2003
                Dear Bill,

                Thanks for your feedback on Filbys. The books they have at LDS History
                Center do include the early 20th Century also. They told me that this is a
                continuing research, and that new volumes are added periodically. I did see the
                Volumes covering the early 18th and 19th centuries also, but I ignored them
                because they did not cover the period I was researching.

                In researching their volumes for late 19th and early 20th century, I did find
                some Pavliks, but not many and not any of interest to me personally.

                Thanks again for your help.

                Marge B.