Wall of Honor vs. LDS transcription project

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 1999
      What you are talking about is the effort done by LDS volunteers to index
      NY arrivals from 1892 to 1924, in a database of 11 categories of info
      (more is on the actual manifest). This is -not- the same as the Wall of
      Honor project.

      Members of the stake where I volunteer at our FHC participated in this
      (I am not a church member but have helped with other transcription
      projects) and I watched them do it. They were painstakingly correct, and
      each entry was checked twice and then verified again in SLC to check for
      errors.

      My information is that this database will be available on Ellis Island,
      and I have heard from the volunteers doing the work that it might be at
      FHCs on CD or available through FHCs. I am seeing info in print and on
      the internet that it will be "searchable on the internet" but as far as
      I know that has not been confirmed by Ellis Island.

      As with all the rumors before the LDS FamilySearch site opened (where
      people were saying it was going to be new online records, when it wasn't
      really), I think that people may be doing some "wishful thinking". I'd
      advise everyone to just wait for the real announcement, and not listen
      to a lot of hearsay.

      In any case, these years of NY arrivals are already indexed on microfilm
      and easily searchable.... so I for one wish they had taken a chunk of
      the unindexed years (1847-1897) to transcribe. But then no one asked
      -me- <g>

      For anyone interested, a guide to searching NY arrivals on microfilm via
      your FHC is on my Hints webpage, url below.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Jim Honeychuck
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 1999
        Thanks for that clarification, Maura. The site is just a little too flashy
        for the basic facts to stand out.

        And thanks for all your work.

        Jim Honeychuck

        > What you are talking about is the effort done by LDS volunteers to index
        > NY arrivals from 1892 to 1924, in a database of 11 categories of info
        > (more is on the actual manifest). This is -not- the same as the Wall of
        > Honor project.
        >
        > Members of the stake where I volunteer at our FHC participated in this
        > (I am not a church member but have helped with other transcription
        > projects) and I watched them do it. They were painstakingly correct, and
        > each entry was checked twice and then verified again in SLC to check for
        > errors.
        >
        > My information is that this database will be available on Ellis Island,
        > and I have heard from the volunteers doing the work that it might be at
        > FHCs on CD or available through FHCs. I am seeing info in print and on
        > the internet that it will be "searchable on the internet" but as far as
        > I know that has not been confirmed by Ellis Island.
        >
        > As with all the rumors before the LDS FamilySearch site opened (where
        > people were saying it was going to be new online records, when it wasn't
        > really), I think that people may be doing some "wishful thinking". I'd
        > advise everyone to just wait for the real announcement, and not listen
        > to a lot of hearsay.
        >
        > In any case, these years of NY arrivals are already indexed on microfilm
        > and easily searchable.... so I for one wish they had taken a chunk of
        > the unindexed years (1847-1897) to transcribe. But then no one asked
        > -me- <g>
        >
        > For anyone interested, a guide to searching NY arrivals on microfilm via
        > your FHC is on my Hints webpage, url below.

        > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        > sabinov@...

      • Fred Corbett
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 1999
          Thank you Maura for the helpful clarification of the "Wall of Honor" data
          base.

          Fred