RE: [S-R] Family Name Ellek

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 3 4:46 PM
      Ellek is an unusal name. It was at one time used by my grandfather. My
      grandfather's was born in Hungary with the surname "Illy". After he arrived
      in America (just prior to WWI), he changed the spelling of his name a couple
      of times. At first he wrote his name "Illek", then later he wrote it
      "Ellek" and finally settled on "Ellak". When I asked why the spelling of
      the name was changed so many times, the explanation that was given to me was
      that he was trying to maintain the European pronoucation of his name. In
      Europe where he lived as a young man, "Illy" was pronouced the same as Ellak
      is pronouced in English. Thus he change the English spelling of his name to
      maintain the original European pronoucation. Apparently, it took a couple
      of name changes before he decided that he got it right.

      Perhaps somehow or another this may help you with you Ellek..

      Milan Huba

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3 5:03 PM
        Joann,
        My grandfather's name was Fedor (Frank) Hanich, born in 1887.
        Last year my only surviving uncle sent me some documents my uncles had
        kept all these years, including my grandfather's birth/baptism
        certificate. There were also a lot of legal papers which I am still
        attempting to translate, but have made some progress. They were legal
        records of transfering property to my great-grandfather, Michail Salapka
        Hanich and to Janos Salapka Hanich in the 1880s, and again when he died
        in1902 and the inheritance passed to my grandfather and his 6 siblings:
        Constantin, Elek, Gyorgy, Andras, Julia, and Vaszily. Also when my
        grandfather sold his part back to his brothers who remained in Europe, at
        800 korunas (for which I have no idea of the value.)
        My uncle is amazed at the progress I've made in the past year. I
        was able to find the ships my grandparents arrived on, and the dates.
        From my grandparents' marriage license I deciphered the names of both of
        their parents. They were married in Perth Amboy, NJ in 1913; my
        grandmother was from Saris, but my paternal great grandparents were named
        Michail Salapka Hanich and Anna Szabo. My maternal great-grandparents
        were Janos Kravcik and Maria Surin. (I think I've mixed up the Hungarian,
        Slovak and English spellings of names throughout all this, but it gets
        tiresome with 3 versions to deal with, doesn't it?)
        On the 1910 map of Ung megye I can see Egreshat
        (Vulsinki/Vilshynky) and right next to it, in Hungarian, what looks like
        Szemereho. It's at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gonczy/ung.htm.
      • David J Hanich
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3 5:22 PM
          Bill,
          Thank you for the info. I plan to look up my grandmother's
          village, Hanigovce, Saris, next week. As you said, Ung county is now in
          Ukraine, and hasn't been microfilmed, so I can't look up my grandfather's
          village. But I heard somewhere there are archives in Uzhorod that contain
          old records. Do you know anything about that?
          --Dave
        • David J Hanich
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3 6:34 PM
            --I have some 1998 pictures of the church and text in Ukrainian (from a
            book) that I can scan and send you of the two churches. It's up to you
            to get it translated, though I have some references.

            Bill,
            Thanks a lot, I'd love to see them, and share them with my
            relatives. I can read a little Cyrillic/ Russian so it would be great to
            see whatever you can send me.
            --Dave

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 3 8:05 PM
              Dave,
              The Mormons travelled to Slovakia and microfilmed the 1869 Census, local
              church records and other items from the Slovak Republic National
              Archives. The only thing you will find online is an index of village
              names in their card catalog. There are no specific village records
              online, except the rare case where an individual researcher has done it
              for a specific village. Generally speaking, these records are NOT
              online.

              Go here http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
              and search on Slovakia. Select "Slovakia - Census - 1869 ". It will
              show you the films, organized by old county names, using the old names.
              When you click on a county, and view film notes, you'll see the names of
              the villages. If you don't know the county, or know only the current
              village name, this will be either laborious or impossible. You then
              find the film number and order it.

              That is why I created the index of villages shown on my web at
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm The easiest of
              these lists to sort through is
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm organized by
              Magyar name. I've included Magyar and slovak names and county and film
              numbers. If you village is not included, the Mormons have not
              catalogued the film or made it available yet.

              Hope this helps. Write again if you have questions.
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 3 8:12 PM
                The 1869 Census was only allowed to be filmed by Slovakia and only
                contains records from within the Slovakia border. Thus, if you are
                looking for Simerki Ukraine, it will not be found in the LDS FHL
                records.
                Bill Tarkulich

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3 8:50 PM
                  Data from 1910 Census for you:
                  The actual spelling is:
                  SZMEREKOVO = SZEMEREKO = SMEREKOVA (CMepeKoBa in Ukraine)
                  Population 496, 6 Magyar, 12 German, 478 Ruthenian; 483 Greek Catholic,
                  13 Jew
                  Greek Catholic Church Founded in 1770, only a portion of original
                  structure remains.
                  There is also a newly built Orthodox church.

                  Egreshat = Vulsinki = Vishany (Ukraine)
                  Pop 624: 3 Magyar, 621 Ruthenian; 604 Greek Catholic, 20 Jew
                  Greek Church founded in 1751.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 3 8:51 PM
                    Yes, all the records are in the Uzhorod archives. You can write to
                    them, wait the wait of many months, pay the fee and they will send you
                    information.
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 4 4:19 AM
                      Bill:

                      Would you please send the pictures to me also. I would greatly appreciate
                      anything from Vulshinki you could send.

                      Thanks,

                      Joann
                      joannp1@...

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 4 9:55 AM
                        I will send the photos in a couple of days.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 4 1:20 PM
                          Thanks!

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 5 4:45 AM
                            Bill:

                            Do you have The pictures and text from Szemereko?

                            These are the two villages that keep comig up in my grandfathers history.

                            Thank you
                            Joan

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 11 5:17 AM
                              Dave:

                              I just got the time to go through the records I have and it seems your
                              grandmother Helene Hanics left her mother ( your greatgrandmother0 Julia
                              Peczko in Vulshinki when she came to this country in 1910.

                              My grandfather came from Vulshinki and his last name was Peczko, Pecka
                              (however it was spelled at the time). Your grandmother went to Binghamton,
                              NY and there were know Peczko's therebut that is where I need to make the
                              connection. The NY Peczko's and the Scranton Peczko's are cousins and my
                              grandfather was a Scranton Peczko but then left and no one knows about him
                              and I can't make the difinite connection. I am about 99% sure that all the
                              Peczko's that came over around 1905 to 1915 from Vulshinki were all cousins.
                              There is a letter that my grandfathers daughter wrote in 1922 talking about
                              the uncles and I really think that is where the connection is. If we could
                              get records from the Ukraine we could have it settled but that seems to be
                              impossible. So for now, I do believe they were all first cousins.

                              If you have any information on your grandmother Helene Hanics I would
                              greatly appreciate the info.

                              Thanks,
                              Joann
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 11 5:20 AM
                                Dave:

                                OOOOOPPPPPPS, I just re-read your e-mail, Helen Hanics was not your
                                grandmother...........sorry, now I see she was probably your grandfathers
                                sister-in-law?? Well, hope you have any information on her.