Re: [S-R] Re: Help please !!

  • joannp1
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 3 2:31 PM
      Dave:

      Now I remember, her mother was Julia Pecka. What was your grandfather's
      name from Vulshinki?

      Joann
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3 4:46 PM
        Ellek is an unusal name. It was at one time used by my grandfather. My
        grandfather's was born in Hungary with the surname "Illy". After he arrived
        in America (just prior to WWI), he changed the spelling of his name a couple
        of times. At first he wrote his name "Illek", then later he wrote it
        "Ellek" and finally settled on "Ellak". When I asked why the spelling of
        the name was changed so many times, the explanation that was given to me was
        that he was trying to maintain the European pronoucation of his name. In
        Europe where he lived as a young man, "Illy" was pronouced the same as Ellak
        is pronouced in English. Thus he change the English spelling of his name to
        maintain the original European pronoucation. Apparently, it took a couple
        of name changes before he decided that he got it right.

        Perhaps somehow or another this may help you with you Ellek..

        Milan Huba

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3 5:03 PM
          Joann,
          My grandfather's name was Fedor (Frank) Hanich, born in 1887.
          Last year my only surviving uncle sent me some documents my uncles had
          kept all these years, including my grandfather's birth/baptism
          certificate. There were also a lot of legal papers which I am still
          attempting to translate, but have made some progress. They were legal
          records of transfering property to my great-grandfather, Michail Salapka
          Hanich and to Janos Salapka Hanich in the 1880s, and again when he died
          in1902 and the inheritance passed to my grandfather and his 6 siblings:
          Constantin, Elek, Gyorgy, Andras, Julia, and Vaszily. Also when my
          grandfather sold his part back to his brothers who remained in Europe, at
          800 korunas (for which I have no idea of the value.)
          My uncle is amazed at the progress I've made in the past year. I
          was able to find the ships my grandparents arrived on, and the dates.
          From my grandparents' marriage license I deciphered the names of both of
          their parents. They were married in Perth Amboy, NJ in 1913; my
          grandmother was from Saris, but my paternal great grandparents were named
          Michail Salapka Hanich and Anna Szabo. My maternal great-grandparents
          were Janos Kravcik and Maria Surin. (I think I've mixed up the Hungarian,
          Slovak and English spellings of names throughout all this, but it gets
          tiresome with 3 versions to deal with, doesn't it?)
          On the 1910 map of Ung megye I can see Egreshat
          (Vulsinki/Vilshynky) and right next to it, in Hungarian, what looks like
          Szemereho. It's at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gonczy/ung.htm.
        • David J Hanich
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3 5:22 PM
            Bill,
            Thank you for the info. I plan to look up my grandmother's
            village, Hanigovce, Saris, next week. As you said, Ung county is now in
            Ukraine, and hasn't been microfilmed, so I can't look up my grandfather's
            village. But I heard somewhere there are archives in Uzhorod that contain
            old records. Do you know anything about that?
            --Dave
          • David J Hanich
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 3 6:34 PM
              --I have some 1998 pictures of the church and text in Ukrainian (from a
              book) that I can scan and send you of the two churches. It's up to you
              to get it translated, though I have some references.

              Bill,
              Thanks a lot, I'd love to see them, and share them with my
              relatives. I can read a little Cyrillic/ Russian so it would be great to
              see whatever you can send me.
              --Dave

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 3 8:05 PM
                Dave,
                The Mormons travelled to Slovakia and microfilmed the 1869 Census, local
                church records and other items from the Slovak Republic National
                Archives. The only thing you will find online is an index of village
                names in their card catalog. There are no specific village records
                online, except the rare case where an individual researcher has done it
                for a specific village. Generally speaking, these records are NOT
                online.

                Go here http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                and search on Slovakia. Select "Slovakia - Census - 1869 ". It will
                show you the films, organized by old county names, using the old names.
                When you click on a county, and view film notes, you'll see the names of
                the villages. If you don't know the county, or know only the current
                village name, this will be either laborious or impossible. You then
                find the film number and order it.

                That is why I created the index of villages shown on my web at
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm The easiest of
                these lists to sort through is
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm organized by
                Magyar name. I've included Magyar and slovak names and county and film
                numbers. If you village is not included, the Mormons have not
                catalogued the film or made it available yet.

                Hope this helps. Write again if you have questions.
                Bill Tarkulich

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3 8:12 PM
                  The 1869 Census was only allowed to be filmed by Slovakia and only
                  contains records from within the Slovakia border. Thus, if you are
                  looking for Simerki Ukraine, it will not be found in the LDS FHL
                  records.
                  Bill Tarkulich

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 3 8:50 PM
                    Data from 1910 Census for you:
                    The actual spelling is:
                    SZMEREKOVO = SZEMEREKO = SMEREKOVA (CMepeKoBa in Ukraine)
                    Population 496, 6 Magyar, 12 German, 478 Ruthenian; 483 Greek Catholic,
                    13 Jew
                    Greek Catholic Church Founded in 1770, only a portion of original
                    structure remains.
                    There is also a newly built Orthodox church.

                    Egreshat = Vulsinki = Vishany (Ukraine)
                    Pop 624: 3 Magyar, 621 Ruthenian; 604 Greek Catholic, 20 Jew
                    Greek Church founded in 1751.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 3 8:51 PM
                      Yes, all the records are in the Uzhorod archives. You can write to
                      them, wait the wait of many months, pay the fee and they will send you
                      information.
                      Bill Tarkulich

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 4 4:19 AM
                        Bill:

                        Would you please send the pictures to me also. I would greatly appreciate
                        anything from Vulshinki you could send.

                        Thanks,

                        Joann
                        joannp1@...

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 4 9:55 AM
                          I will send the photos in a couple of days.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 4 1:20 PM
                            Thanks!

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 5 4:45 AM
                              Bill:

                              Do you have The pictures and text from Szemereko?

                              These are the two villages that keep comig up in my grandfathers history.

                              Thank you
                              Joan

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 11 5:17 AM
                                Dave:

                                I just got the time to go through the records I have and it seems your
                                grandmother Helene Hanics left her mother ( your greatgrandmother0 Julia
                                Peczko in Vulshinki when she came to this country in 1910.

                                My grandfather came from Vulshinki and his last name was Peczko, Pecka
                                (however it was spelled at the time). Your grandmother went to Binghamton,
                                NY and there were know Peczko's therebut that is where I need to make the
                                connection. The NY Peczko's and the Scranton Peczko's are cousins and my
                                grandfather was a Scranton Peczko but then left and no one knows about him
                                and I can't make the difinite connection. I am about 99% sure that all the
                                Peczko's that came over around 1905 to 1915 from Vulshinki were all cousins.
                                There is a letter that my grandfathers daughter wrote in 1922 talking about
                                the uncles and I really think that is where the connection is. If we could
                                get records from the Ukraine we could have it settled but that seems to be
                                impossible. So for now, I do believe they were all first cousins.

                                If you have any information on your grandmother Helene Hanics I would
                                greatly appreciate the info.

                                Thanks,
                                Joann
                                > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
                                > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
                                > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
                                > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
                                > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
                                > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
                                > It's confusing!
                                > --Dave Hanich

                              • joannp1
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 11 5:20 AM
                                  Dave:

                                  OOOOOPPPPPPS, I just re-read your e-mail, Helen Hanics was not your
                                  grandmother...........sorry, now I see she was probably your grandfathers
                                  sister-in-law?? Well, hope you have any information on her.