Re: New to list

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2003
      The place in Europe looks like it's Szerednye in Hungarian, Seredne
      in Ukrainian and Seredn'oje in Rusyn. The village is ESE of Uzhorod
      in Ung.

      From looking at the manifest for both Borbala Sztegun's, I would
      guess they are related. The 1909 woman was headed to her sister
      Julia's in Brooklyn. The 1909 woman identified her father but I'm
      guessing his name was Simon or something close to that as the data is
      fuzzy. Since the surname from that village appears so often there are
      likely family ties among those with the same village listed.

      I didn't find any church records on LDS for your village that might
      help you with your family hunt. You might try thr 1869 Hungarian
      Census if you know your relative's parent's names.

      I do know a Helen Stegun who used to work in Greenburgh, NY but
      that's about all I know. The Sztegun name was probably the Hungarian
      spelling with the Stegun name being its Rusyn equivalent.

      My clan was too far northeast of your area to be related to yours.
      Good luck in your search!

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@s...> wrote:

      > Hello, My ggrandmothers name once she came here was Stegun, but
      after
      > fruitless searches, I ran across Sztegun, and when I looked at the
      > manifest for the 1904 landing.. I have no idea about the 1909
      one...
      > She was listed as going to her sister Julia in Alderson,PA(Harveys
      > Lake in Luzerne County)This all fit with word of mouth info I
      > recieved from my father. So to answer your question in one
      sentence,
      > I found her under the last name Sztegun. Looking up that spelling
      > again, it looks like all the people with that particualar spelling
      > came from Szerednye or from some spelling variation of it. I wish I
      > could be of more help, who knows, maybe we will find a connection
      at
      > some point.
      > Lori
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...>
      > wrote:
      > > Lori,
      > > Can you tell me the spelling you found your grandmother's name
      > under
      > > on the EI site? I am searching for a slight variation - SZTEGENA -

      > in
      > > AH. I am back to 1839 but now have a town/village I can't find on
      > any
      > > map. I would appreciate knowing is the SZTEGEN name you found
      moved
      > > from elsewhere in AH. Mine were in Orlo/Orlov from roughly 1839
      > > 1897. They migrated to Passaic, NJ before spreading out further.
      So
      > > far, I have eight spelling variations in the US, thanks to Ellis
      > > Island.
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@s...>
      wrote:
      > > > Hello, I am new to this list. I have just found my great
      > > grandmother
      > > > on the Ellis Island site listed as Borbala Sztegen from
      Szerednye
    • jkmark@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 13 , May 17, 2010
        My ancestors came from Orlov, Slovakia as well and my great great grandmother's name was Anna Stzegena. She was born abt. 1855/56 and married Michael Dolyak. I know that some distant relatives ended up in Passaic NJ so i'm sure we are speaking of the same Sztegena family. I do not have any more info further up on her (her parents names, etc) and am interested if you might. i do have a picture of her though. Sincerely, Julie

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@...> wrote:

        > Hello, My ggrandmothers name once she came here was Stegun, but after
        > fruitless searches, I ran across Sztegun, and when I looked at the
        > manifest for the 1904 landing.. I have no idea about the 1909 one...
        > She was listed as going to her sister Julia in Alderson,PA(Harveys
        > Lake in Luzerne County)This all fit with word of mouth info I
        > recieved from my father. So to answer your question in one sentence,
        > I found her under the last name Sztegun. Looking up that spelling
        > again, it looks like all the people with that particualar spelling
        > came from Szerednye or from some spelling variation of it. I wish I
        > could be of more help, who knows, maybe we will find a connection at
        > some point.
        > Lori
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...>
        > wrote:
        > > Lori,
        > > Can you tell me the spelling you found your grandmother's name
        > under
        > > on the EI site? I am searching for a slight variation - SZTEGENA -
        > in
        > > AH. I am back to 1839 but now have a town/village I can't find on
        > any
        > > map. I would appreciate knowing is the SZTEGEN name you found moved
        > > from elsewhere in AH. Mine were in Orlo/Orlov from roughly 1839 to
        > > 1897. They migrated to Passaic, NJ before spreading out further. So
        > > far, I have eight spelling variations in the US, thanks to Ellis
        > > Island.
        > >

        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@s...> wrote:
        > > > Hello, I am new to this list. I have just found my great
        > > grandmother
        > > > on the Ellis Island site listed as Borbala Sztegen from Szerednye
        > > > Hungary. She is listed as Ruthenian from Hungary. Her husband,
        > whom
        > > > she married after they were both in NE PA at least five years was
        > > > named George Gacha. From what I have been told the spelling of
        > > Gacha
        > > > could have been Gacsa or Gacâ and George was from Slovakia. I
        > > cannot
        > > > find him anywhere on the Ellis Island site, though I know he
        > > arrived
        > > > in the US in 1905. My question is this.. where can I go from
        > here.
        > > > am at a total loss as to how to search outside of the US, and I
        > am
        > > > not sure exactly what Ruthenian means. Also, I would love to find
        > > out
        > > > information about Szerednye if anyone knows how I could go about
        > > it.
        > > > Thanks in advance for any help.
        > > > Sincerely
        > > > Lori Figorski

      • Elaine
        Message 3 of 13 , May 17, 2010
          Welcome Julie, this is a great group. Quick question on your Dolyak
          ancestor. do you know how the last name was pronounced?

          Sent from my iPhone
        • jkmark@pacbell.net
          Message 4 of 13 , May 18, 2010
            As far as i know it is pronounced pretty much as it looks - Dol, as in Dole Pineapples and Yak as in the animal. My cousin has a PhD in Russian and has said that that is how it is pronounced (he has done a lot of research on our Slovakian/Ukrainian roots as well)

            thanks, Julie

            Message 5 of 13 , May 18, 2010
              Friendly reminder, a message subject with the actual topic content is
              appreciated. You'll find more people will read and respond if they know
              what the message is about!

              On Tue, May 18, 2010 3:20 pm, jkmark@... wrote:
              > As far as i know it is pronounced pretty much as it looks - Dol, as in
              > Dole Pineapples and Yak as in the animal. My cousin has a PhD in Russian
              > and has said that that is how it is pronounced (he has done a lot of
              > research on our Slovakian/Ukrainian roots as well)
              >
              > thanks, Julie
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <elainep141@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Welcome Julie, this is a great group. Quick question on your Dolyak
              >> ancestor. do you know how the last name was pronounced?
              >>
              >> Sent from my iPhone

              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com