Re: [S-R] Re: Help please !!

  • joannp1
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
      Dave:

      I do remember the name but, I too, got a new computer and then it crashed,
      so it had to be repaired and I lost a lot.

      Do you have the address where the manifest is located on the Ellis Island
      site? How was her name spelled at that time? I just went to the site for
      Helen Hanich and I couldn't find anything. Maybe it will help if I can find
      that manifest and then retrace my notes.
      I now have added the name Siravetz and Belejkovics to the Pecka family and
      everything keeps coming back to Scranton. Hope we can figure this out. Let
      me know what you have.

      Thank You,
      Joann
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
        Dave:

        You can go the local FHC library and find the records you want to look at
        and they will order them for you and you go back there and read them. They
        are really helpful.

        I found some information there, but not on the Pecka's, but on the Fagula
        surname from Saros County, Slovakia.

        Joann
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
          JoAnn,
          The name was spelled in Hungarian as Hanics; "cs" ="ch" in
          English. My grandfather's cousins were named Szabo and immigrated to
          Rankin, PA right next to Pittsburgh. I'll look up what else I have.
          --Dave
        • Helen
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
            The Genealogical Research Society of Northeastern Pa. with headquarters
            in the Scranton area may be able to help answer some of your questions.
            www.cfrobbins.com
            Helen
          • joannp1
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
              Dave:

              Now I remember, her mother was Julia Pecka. What was your grandfather's
              name from Vulshinki?

              Joann
              > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
              > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
              > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
              > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
              > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
              > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
              > It's confusing!
              > --Dave Hanich

            • Milan Huba
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                Ellek is an unusal name. It was at one time used by my grandfather. My
                grandfather's was born in Hungary with the surname "Illy". After he arrived
                in America (just prior to WWI), he changed the spelling of his name a couple
                of times. At first he wrote his name "Illek", then later he wrote it
                "Ellek" and finally settled on "Ellak". When I asked why the spelling of
                the name was changed so many times, the explanation that was given to me was
                that he was trying to maintain the European pronoucation of his name. In
                Europe where he lived as a young man, "Illy" was pronouced the same as Ellak
                is pronouced in English. Thus he change the English spelling of his name to
                maintain the original European pronoucation. Apparently, it took a couple
                of name changes before he decided that he got it right.

                Perhaps somehow or another this may help you with you Ellek..

                Milan Huba

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                  Joann,
                  My grandfather's name was Fedor (Frank) Hanich, born in 1887.
                  Last year my only surviving uncle sent me some documents my uncles had
                  kept all these years, including my grandfather's birth/baptism
                  certificate. There were also a lot of legal papers which I am still
                  attempting to translate, but have made some progress. They were legal
                  records of transfering property to my great-grandfather, Michail Salapka
                  Hanich and to Janos Salapka Hanich in the 1880s, and again when he died
                  in1902 and the inheritance passed to my grandfather and his 6 siblings:
                  Constantin, Elek, Gyorgy, Andras, Julia, and Vaszily. Also when my
                  grandfather sold his part back to his brothers who remained in Europe, at
                  800 korunas (for which I have no idea of the value.)
                  My uncle is amazed at the progress I've made in the past year. I
                  was able to find the ships my grandparents arrived on, and the dates.
                  From my grandparents' marriage license I deciphered the names of both of
                  their parents. They were married in Perth Amboy, NJ in 1913; my
                  grandmother was from Saris, but my paternal great grandparents were named
                  Michail Salapka Hanich and Anna Szabo. My maternal great-grandparents
                  were Janos Kravcik and Maria Surin. (I think I've mixed up the Hungarian,
                  Slovak and English spellings of names throughout all this, but it gets
                  tiresome with 3 versions to deal with, doesn't it?)
                  On the 1910 map of Ung megye I can see Egreshat
                  (Vulsinki/Vilshynky) and right next to it, in Hungarian, what looks like
                  Szemereho. It's at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gonczy/ung.htm.
                • David J Hanich
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                    Bill,
                    Thank you for the info. I plan to look up my grandmother's
                    village, Hanigovce, Saris, next week. As you said, Ung county is now in
                    Ukraine, and hasn't been microfilmed, so I can't look up my grandfather's
                    village. But I heard somewhere there are archives in Uzhorod that contain
                    old records. Do you know anything about that?
                    --Dave
                  • David J Hanich
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                      --I have some 1998 pictures of the church and text in Ukrainian (from a
                      book) that I can scan and send you of the two churches. It's up to you
                      to get it translated, though I have some references.

                      Bill,
                      Thanks a lot, I'd love to see them, and share them with my
                      relatives. I can read a little Cyrillic/ Russian so it would be great to
                      see whatever you can send me.
                      --Dave

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                        Dave,
                        The Mormons travelled to Slovakia and microfilmed the 1869 Census, local
                        church records and other items from the Slovak Republic National
                        Archives. The only thing you will find online is an index of village
                        names in their card catalog. There are no specific village records
                        online, except the rare case where an individual researcher has done it
                        for a specific village. Generally speaking, these records are NOT
                        online.

                        Go here http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                        and search on Slovakia. Select "Slovakia - Census - 1869 ". It will
                        show you the films, organized by old county names, using the old names.
                        When you click on a county, and view film notes, you'll see the names of
                        the villages. If you don't know the county, or know only the current
                        village name, this will be either laborious or impossible. You then
                        find the film number and order it.

                        That is why I created the index of villages shown on my web at
                        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm The easiest of
                        these lists to sort through is
                        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm organized by
                        Magyar name. I've included Magyar and slovak names and county and film
                        numbers. If you village is not included, the Mormons have not
                        catalogued the film or made it available yet.

                        Hope this helps. Write again if you have questions.
                        Bill Tarkulich

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                          The 1869 Census was only allowed to be filmed by Slovakia and only
                          contains records from within the Slovakia border. Thus, if you are
                          looking for Simerki Ukraine, it will not be found in the LDS FHL
                          records.
                          Bill Tarkulich

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                            Data from 1910 Census for you:
                            The actual spelling is:
                            SZMEREKOVO = SZEMEREKO = SMEREKOVA (CMepeKoBa in Ukraine)
                            Population 496, 6 Magyar, 12 German, 478 Ruthenian; 483 Greek Catholic,
                            13 Jew
                            Greek Catholic Church Founded in 1770, only a portion of original
                            structure remains.
                            There is also a newly built Orthodox church.

                            Egreshat = Vulsinki = Vishany (Ukraine)
                            Pop 624: 3 Magyar, 621 Ruthenian; 604 Greek Catholic, 20 Jew
                            Greek Church founded in 1751.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                              Yes, all the records are in the Uzhorod archives. You can write to
                              them, wait the wait of many months, pay the fee and they will send you
                              information.
                              Bill Tarkulich

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                Bill:

                                Would you please send the pictures to me also. I would greatly appreciate
                                anything from Vulshinki you could send.

                                Thanks,

                                Joann
                                joannp1@...

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                  I will send the photos in a couple of days.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                    Thanks!

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 5, 2003
                                      Bill:

                                      Do you have The pictures and text from Szemereko?

                                      These are the two villages that keep comig up in my grandfathers history.

                                      Thank you
                                      Joan

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                        Dave:

                                        I just got the time to go through the records I have and it seems your
                                        grandmother Helene Hanics left her mother ( your greatgrandmother0 Julia
                                        Peczko in Vulshinki when she came to this country in 1910.

                                        My grandfather came from Vulshinki and his last name was Peczko, Pecka
                                        (however it was spelled at the time). Your grandmother went to Binghamton,
                                        NY and there were know Peczko's therebut that is where I need to make the
                                        connection. The NY Peczko's and the Scranton Peczko's are cousins and my
                                        grandfather was a Scranton Peczko but then left and no one knows about him
                                        and I can't make the difinite connection. I am about 99% sure that all the
                                        Peczko's that came over around 1905 to 1915 from Vulshinki were all cousins.
                                        There is a letter that my grandfathers daughter wrote in 1922 talking about
                                        the uncles and I really think that is where the connection is. If we could
                                        get records from the Ukraine we could have it settled but that seems to be
                                        impossible. So for now, I do believe they were all first cousins.

                                        If you have any information on your grandmother Helene Hanics I would
                                        greatly appreciate the info.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Joann
                                        > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
                                        > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
                                        > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
                                        > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
                                        > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
                                        > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
                                        > It's confusing!
                                        > --Dave Hanich

                                      • joannp1
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                          Dave:

                                          OOOOOPPPPPPS, I just re-read your e-mail, Helen Hanics was not your
                                          grandmother...........sorry, now I see she was probably your grandfathers
                                          sister-in-law?? Well, hope you have any information on her.