RE: [S-R] Re: Help please !!

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
      Dave,
      I wrote some reference material on the 1869 Census and posted it at
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm
      Was this useful?
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
        Bill,
        Maybe I'm dense, but does this mean I should go to a FHC at a
        local Mormon church to find these documents, or is there a place online
        to do it?
        --Dave
      • joannp1
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
          Dave:

          I do remember the name but, I too, got a new computer and then it crashed,
          so it had to be repaired and I lost a lot.

          Do you have the address where the manifest is located on the Ellis Island
          site? How was her name spelled at that time? I just went to the site for
          Helen Hanich and I couldn't find anything. Maybe it will help if I can find
          that manifest and then retrace my notes.
          I now have added the name Siravetz and Belejkovics to the Pecka family and
          everything keeps coming back to Scranton. Hope we can figure this out. Let
          me know what you have.

          Thank You,
          Joann
          > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
          > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
          > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
          > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
          > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
          > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
          > It's confusing!
          > --Dave Hanich

        • joannp1
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
            Dave:

            You can go the local FHC library and find the records you want to look at
            and they will order them for you and you go back there and read them. They
            are really helpful.

            I found some information there, but not on the Pecka's, but on the Fagula
            surname from Saros County, Slovakia.

            Joann
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
              JoAnn,
              The name was spelled in Hungarian as Hanics; "cs" ="ch" in
              English. My grandfather's cousins were named Szabo and immigrated to
              Rankin, PA right next to Pittsburgh. I'll look up what else I have.
              --Dave
            • Helen
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                The Genealogical Research Society of Northeastern Pa. with headquarters
                in the Scranton area may be able to help answer some of your questions.
                www.cfrobbins.com
                Helen
              • joannp1
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                  Dave:

                  Now I remember, her mother was Julia Pecka. What was your grandfather's
                  name from Vulshinki?

                  Joann
                  > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
                  > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
                  > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
                  > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
                  > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
                  > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
                  > It's confusing!
                  > --Dave Hanich

                • Milan Huba
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                    Ellek is an unusal name. It was at one time used by my grandfather. My
                    grandfather's was born in Hungary with the surname "Illy". After he arrived
                    in America (just prior to WWI), he changed the spelling of his name a couple
                    of times. At first he wrote his name "Illek", then later he wrote it
                    "Ellek" and finally settled on "Ellak". When I asked why the spelling of
                    the name was changed so many times, the explanation that was given to me was
                    that he was trying to maintain the European pronoucation of his name. In
                    Europe where he lived as a young man, "Illy" was pronouced the same as Ellak
                    is pronouced in English. Thus he change the English spelling of his name to
                    maintain the original European pronoucation. Apparently, it took a couple
                    of name changes before he decided that he got it right.

                    Perhaps somehow or another this may help you with you Ellek..

                    Milan Huba

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                      Joann,
                      My grandfather's name was Fedor (Frank) Hanich, born in 1887.
                      Last year my only surviving uncle sent me some documents my uncles had
                      kept all these years, including my grandfather's birth/baptism
                      certificate. There were also a lot of legal papers which I am still
                      attempting to translate, but have made some progress. They were legal
                      records of transfering property to my great-grandfather, Michail Salapka
                      Hanich and to Janos Salapka Hanich in the 1880s, and again when he died
                      in1902 and the inheritance passed to my grandfather and his 6 siblings:
                      Constantin, Elek, Gyorgy, Andras, Julia, and Vaszily. Also when my
                      grandfather sold his part back to his brothers who remained in Europe, at
                      800 korunas (for which I have no idea of the value.)
                      My uncle is amazed at the progress I've made in the past year. I
                      was able to find the ships my grandparents arrived on, and the dates.
                      From my grandparents' marriage license I deciphered the names of both of
                      their parents. They were married in Perth Amboy, NJ in 1913; my
                      grandmother was from Saris, but my paternal great grandparents were named
                      Michail Salapka Hanich and Anna Szabo. My maternal great-grandparents
                      were Janos Kravcik and Maria Surin. (I think I've mixed up the Hungarian,
                      Slovak and English spellings of names throughout all this, but it gets
                      tiresome with 3 versions to deal with, doesn't it?)
                      On the 1910 map of Ung megye I can see Egreshat
                      (Vulsinki/Vilshynky) and right next to it, in Hungarian, what looks like
                      Szemereho. It's at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gonczy/ung.htm.
                    • David J Hanich
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                        Bill,
                        Thank you for the info. I plan to look up my grandmother's
                        village, Hanigovce, Saris, next week. As you said, Ung county is now in
                        Ukraine, and hasn't been microfilmed, so I can't look up my grandfather's
                        village. But I heard somewhere there are archives in Uzhorod that contain
                        old records. Do you know anything about that?
                        --Dave
                      • David J Hanich
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                          --I have some 1998 pictures of the church and text in Ukrainian (from a
                          book) that I can scan and send you of the two churches. It's up to you
                          to get it translated, though I have some references.

                          Bill,
                          Thanks a lot, I'd love to see them, and share them with my
                          relatives. I can read a little Cyrillic/ Russian so it would be great to
                          see whatever you can send me.
                          --Dave

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                            Dave,
                            The Mormons travelled to Slovakia and microfilmed the 1869 Census, local
                            church records and other items from the Slovak Republic National
                            Archives. The only thing you will find online is an index of village
                            names in their card catalog. There are no specific village records
                            online, except the rare case where an individual researcher has done it
                            for a specific village. Generally speaking, these records are NOT
                            online.

                            Go here http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                            and search on Slovakia. Select "Slovakia - Census - 1869 ". It will
                            show you the films, organized by old county names, using the old names.
                            When you click on a county, and view film notes, you'll see the names of
                            the villages. If you don't know the county, or know only the current
                            village name, this will be either laborious or impossible. You then
                            find the film number and order it.

                            That is why I created the index of villages shown on my web at
                            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm The easiest of
                            these lists to sort through is
                            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm organized by
                            Magyar name. I've included Magyar and slovak names and county and film
                            numbers. If you village is not included, the Mormons have not
                            catalogued the film or made it available yet.

                            Hope this helps. Write again if you have questions.
                            Bill Tarkulich

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                              The 1869 Census was only allowed to be filmed by Slovakia and only
                              contains records from within the Slovakia border. Thus, if you are
                              looking for Simerki Ukraine, it will not be found in the LDS FHL
                              records.
                              Bill Tarkulich

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                                Data from 1910 Census for you:
                                The actual spelling is:
                                SZMEREKOVO = SZEMEREKO = SMEREKOVA (CMepeKoBa in Ukraine)
                                Population 496, 6 Magyar, 12 German, 478 Ruthenian; 483 Greek Catholic,
                                13 Jew
                                Greek Catholic Church Founded in 1770, only a portion of original
                                structure remains.
                                There is also a newly built Orthodox church.

                                Egreshat = Vulsinki = Vishany (Ukraine)
                                Pop 624: 3 Magyar, 621 Ruthenian; 604 Greek Catholic, 20 Jew
                                Greek Church founded in 1751.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                                  Yes, all the records are in the Uzhorod archives. You can write to
                                  them, wait the wait of many months, pay the fee and they will send you
                                  information.
                                  Bill Tarkulich

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                    Bill:

                                    Would you please send the pictures to me also. I would greatly appreciate
                                    anything from Vulshinki you could send.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Joann
                                    joannp1@...

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                      I will send the photos in a couple of days.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                        Thanks!

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 5, 2003
                                          Bill:

                                          Do you have The pictures and text from Szemereko?

                                          These are the two villages that keep comig up in my grandfathers history.

                                          Thank you
                                          Joan

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                            Dave:

                                            I just got the time to go through the records I have and it seems your
                                            grandmother Helene Hanics left her mother ( your greatgrandmother0 Julia
                                            Peczko in Vulshinki when she came to this country in 1910.

                                            My grandfather came from Vulshinki and his last name was Peczko, Pecka
                                            (however it was spelled at the time). Your grandmother went to Binghamton,
                                            NY and there were know Peczko's therebut that is where I need to make the
                                            connection. The NY Peczko's and the Scranton Peczko's are cousins and my
                                            grandfather was a Scranton Peczko but then left and no one knows about him
                                            and I can't make the difinite connection. I am about 99% sure that all the
                                            Peczko's that came over around 1905 to 1915 from Vulshinki were all cousins.
                                            There is a letter that my grandfathers daughter wrote in 1922 talking about
                                            the uncles and I really think that is where the connection is. If we could
                                            get records from the Ukraine we could have it settled but that seems to be
                                            impossible. So for now, I do believe they were all first cousins.

                                            If you have any information on your grandmother Helene Hanics I would
                                            greatly appreciate the info.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Joann
                                            > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
                                            > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
                                            > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
                                            > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
                                            > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
                                            > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
                                            > It's confusing!
                                            > --Dave Hanich

                                          • joannp1
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                              Dave:

                                              OOOOOPPPPPPS, I just re-read your e-mail, Helen Hanics was not your
                                              grandmother...........sorry, now I see she was probably your grandfathers
                                              sister-in-law?? Well, hope you have any information on her.