Re: Sabinov

  • Andy Verostko
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
      Andrea

      I have sent this info out numerous times and here it is again.
      I hope it is useful.

      Slovakia - Cross Index of towns.

      There is a microfische cross reference of all towns in Slovakia
      and the parish under which the data is recorded. The data is a
      book the has been put on both microfische and microfilm. Most FHCs have
      one or.t the other.
      If neither is available, you should order the microfiche since it then
      becomes part of the
      permanent recods at the FHC>

      Relevant Data:

      Author: Jana Kalesna
      Title: Prehlad Matrik Na Slovensko Do Zostatnenia Matricnej.
      Library Refernce Number: 943.73 K23k

      Microfische #: 6000786
      Microfilm #: 1183541 Item 4.

      To use, you look up the name of the town/village at the back of the
      book.
      Villages and towns are listed Alphabetically. Along with the town will
      be a
      list of page numbers. Go to each of the page numbers and scan the page
      for
      your village name. The village name will be listed under the name of the
      town parish
      where the church data was recorded.

      Typical will be something like this.

      Looking up Hincovce, Spis province, Slovakia Reads:
      Hincovce, Okr SNV 286, 289, 308.

      Looking on pages 286 Shows a town listed as Bystrany
      and included under Bystrany are records for Bystrany, Hincovce & Trstany

      from 1779 - 1896, Roman Catholic. Now, use the computer
      to Look up Bystrany and you will find the microfilm numbers
      for the Church (Roman Catholic) and towns listed.

      Looking under Page 289 is the identifying data for the
      Evangelical Reformed Church where Hincovce data can be found.

      Looking at page 308 identifies the town under which Jewish
      records can be found.

      I hope this makes some sense
      Regards Andy V....

      --
      Regards

      Andy Verostko

      averostko@...

      http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko/

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
        Thanks a million. I think that I found a similar book, or the same one, but
        when I asked if I could order it, the people at the FHC said that I had to
        go to Salt Lake City to check it out. Neither they nor I realized that
        there was a microfiche or microfilm version available. What a relief!

      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
          No, it's not a dumb question at all.... however I don't really know the
          answer :)

          In terms of Sabinov I do know the answer, but this may not be true for
          other places. The Sabinov records that are filmed are virtually the
          exact same records you get if you go to Presov archives to search.....
          because I had a researcher check this for me at the Presov archives. The
          only difference is that the microfilmed records go to 1895-1898, and so
          there is a slight gap in the time to 1900, which is when in all of the
          Slovak Republic you must get records via the Embassy and the appropriate
          archive for privacy reasons.

          I have one stray record not in the films, the baptism of my grandmother
          Irene Silhavy which took place in Sabinov in 1898 and is not filmed. All
          I want is the names of her godparents, which may not be listed on the
          government record, so I am having someone I know in Sabinov get that for
          me (hopefully).

          Maybe someone else on the list has a better answer for you on generally
          what is filmed vs what you can access at archives, but I would think
          it's pretty well the same as the Slovak Republic has been very good
          about letting the LDS have access and film their records.

          Wish that were true about the Czech Republic....

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
            Guess what? The Opina microfilms have some information that goes up to the
            year 1948. I am not sure where or who it is -- it is section 1 or 2, and my
            interest lies in sections 3-5. I can try to figure it out if you are
            interested. Looks like a little -- very little -- village parish with only
            a handful of events per year. But I was surprised to find it.