RE: [S-R] VASSILY LAKATOS

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
      Roberta
      How about

      Lakatos,Vaszily
      Arrived 1909, destined to Chicago (brother Juro (george)), age 30. DOB
      estimated 1879.
      Don't be dissuaded dates were often wrong by several years, for several
      reasons we'll talk about later. This date is close enough to take
      seriously. Place of Birth , Kiszeben, Saros county. Ruthenian (Rusyn)
      Left behind mother, Anna Dubovics.

      or
      Vasilie Lakatus (too old?)
      Vaszil Laka tos

      Or
      Lakatos,Waszil
      Sarospotok arrived 1902 age 25
      Destination "Vassailles, PA, to Janos Lakatos.

      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
        I notice that you mention the person that Lakatos left behind. I have
        not found that category on the searches for my relatives. Is it possible
        that it is not on all manifests?
        For example on Julia Rol I see no such category or am I just missing it?

        Helen
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
          At 03:35 PM 7/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >I notice that you mention the person that Lakatos left behind. I have
          >not found that category on the searches for my relatives. Is it possible
          >that it is not on all manifests?
          >For example on Julia Rol I see no such category or am I just missing it?
          >
          >Helen

          That was 1903. I believe manifests after that date had a category
          that required the name and address of the nearest relative in the country
          of origin.

          John M.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
            This category is only found on manifests after 1904 - the immigration
            acts of 1902/04 greatly expanded the number of categories.
            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
              A good explanation of the evolution of passenger manifest data is found
              here
              http://www.ancestry.com/library/view/ancmag/5078.asp?rc=locale%7E&us=0
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                We are still searching for correct information. After talking to someone at the Rusin Association it was once again suggested we look at church records. The church records here in the states have him listed as Wassil Lakatos, village of birth - Deskovycja. Which is in Bereg County in present day Ukraine. Can someone let me know how to get church records for this village, from the actual village? I have tried finding this village using the internet and have not had much luck. Any help would be appreciated. thanks again.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                  At 07:13 PM 7/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:

                  >We are still searching for correct information. After talking to someone
                  >at the Rusin Association it was once again suggested we look at church
                  >records. The church records here in the states have him listed as Wassil
                  >Lakatos, village of birth - Deskovycja. Which is in Bereg County in
                  >present day Ukraine. Can someone let me know how to get church records
                  >for this village, from the actual village? I have tried finding this
                  >village using the internet and have not had much luck. Any help would be
                  >appreciated. thanks again.

                  They have some very knowledgeable people and Ukrainian information

                  Also try http://www.infoukes.com/index.shtml

                  John M.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 12, 2003
                    Church records are held by the Ukraine Archives. You will either need
                    to write or go there yourself or hire someone to do the extracts for
                    you. Either way, it will cost you some $$.

                    Here are some useful links:
                    Archives of the Ukraine http://www.scarch.kiev.ua/Eng/
                    Genealogical Research at Ukraine Archives:
                    http://www.scarch.kiev.ua/Eng/genealogia.php
                    http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/oblasts.html
                    http://www.polishroots.org/archives_ukraine.htm
                    http://www.halgal.com/TsDIAL.html - Lviv Archives