RE: [S-R] VASSILY LAKATOS

  • roberta kostka
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
      Bill, Thanks for your help deciphering the ship manifest. I was having a hard time with it. The information you found makes sense. Vasily's ages is listed as ___m. That would makes sense, but then this is not the right person I am looking for. My Great Grandfather was born in either 1886 or 1887. We had thought we had found him here, but it is back to the beginning. Any other help would be great.

      Bill Tarkulich <bill@...> wrote:Vasily listed next of kin as "Grandmother", Maria listed same person as
      "mother". Suggests Maria was Vasily's mother. maria was 21, Vasily has
      no age shown. This is corroborate by the fact that in Col 18, she is
      going to husband George Lakatos, and Vasily is going to Father of same
      name and address.
      She is 21 years old. It suggests Vasily was born approx 1910, he was
      probably an infant. Both born in Berholz. Are these ages consistent
      with your knowledge?
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
        Roberta
        How about

        Lakatos,Vaszily
        Arrived 1909, destined to Chicago (brother Juro (george)), age 30. DOB
        estimated 1879.
        Don't be dissuaded dates were often wrong by several years, for several
        reasons we'll talk about later. This date is close enough to take
        seriously. Place of Birth , Kiszeben, Saros county. Ruthenian (Rusyn)
        Left behind mother, Anna Dubovics.

        or
        Vasilie Lakatus (too old?)
        Vaszil Laka tos

        Or
        Lakatos,Waszil
        Sarospotok arrived 1902 age 25
        Destination "Vassailles, PA, to Janos Lakatos.

        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Helen
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
          I notice that you mention the person that Lakatos left behind. I have
          not found that category on the searches for my relatives. Is it possible
          that it is not on all manifests?
          For example on Julia Rol I see no such category or am I just missing it?

          Helen
        • John M,
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
            At 03:35 PM 7/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            >I notice that you mention the person that Lakatos left behind. I have
            >not found that category on the searches for my relatives. Is it possible
            >that it is not on all manifests?
            >For example on Julia Rol I see no such category or am I just missing it?
            >
            >Helen

            That was 1903. I believe manifests after that date had a category
            that required the name and address of the nearest relative in the country
            of origin.

            John M.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
              This category is only found on manifests after 1904 - the immigration
              acts of 1902/04 greatly expanded the number of categories.
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                A good explanation of the evolution of passenger manifest data is found
                here
                http://www.ancestry.com/library/view/ancmag/5078.asp?rc=locale%7E&us=0
                Bill Tarkulich

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                  We are still searching for correct information. After talking to someone at the Rusin Association it was once again suggested we look at church records. The church records here in the states have him listed as Wassil Lakatos, village of birth - Deskovycja. Which is in Bereg County in present day Ukraine. Can someone let me know how to get church records for this village, from the actual village? I have tried finding this village using the internet and have not had much luck. Any help would be appreciated. thanks again.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                    At 07:13 PM 7/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:

                    >We are still searching for correct information. After talking to someone
                    >at the Rusin Association it was once again suggested we look at church
                    >records. The church records here in the states have him listed as Wassil
                    >Lakatos, village of birth - Deskovycja. Which is in Bereg County in
                    >present day Ukraine. Can someone let me know how to get church records
                    >for this village, from the actual village? I have tried finding this
                    >village using the internet and have not had much luck. Any help would be
                    >appreciated. thanks again.

                    They have some very knowledgeable people and Ukrainian information

                    Also try http://www.infoukes.com/index.shtml

                    John M.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 12, 2003
                      Church records are held by the Ukraine Archives. You will either need
                      to write or go there yourself or hire someone to do the extracts for
                      you. Either way, it will cost you some $$.

                      Here are some useful links:
                      Archives of the Ukraine http://www.scarch.kiev.ua/Eng/
                      Genealogical Research at Ukraine Archives:
                      http://www.scarch.kiev.ua/Eng/genealogia.php
                      http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/oblasts.html
                      http://www.polishroots.org/archives_ukraine.htm
                      http://www.halgal.com/TsDIAL.html - Lviv Archives