RE: [S-R] VASSILY LAKATOS

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
      Roberta,
      Non-Immigrant Alien means that he came to this country at least before,
      and registered with the INS as a Resident Alien. Thus, he immigrated
      here legally (went through the inspection process) and was subsequently
      entitled to return at a later date, without having to go through
      immigration inspection. Column 17 of the manifest records if they were
      ever in the US before, if so where and when. Unfortunately for you, the
      manifest is so fuzzy I can't read the date or place.
      Good Luck,
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
        Vasily listed next of kin as "Grandmother", Maria listed same person as
        "mother". Suggests Maria was Vasily's mother. maria was 21, Vasily has
        no age shown. This is corroborate by the fact that in Col 18, she is
        going to husband George Lakatos, and Vasily is going to Father of same
        name and address.
        She is 21 years old. It suggests Vasily was born approx 1910, he was
        probably an infant. Both born in Berholz. Are these ages consistent
        with your knowledge?
        Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
            Roberta
            How about

            Lakatos,Vaszily
            Arrived 1909, destined to Chicago (brother Juro (george)), age 30. DOB
            estimated 1879.
            Don't be dissuaded dates were often wrong by several years, for several
            reasons we'll talk about later. This date is close enough to take
            seriously. Place of Birth , Kiszeben, Saros county. Ruthenian (Rusyn)
            Left behind mother, Anna Dubovics.

            or
            Vasilie Lakatus (too old?)
            Vaszil Laka tos

            Or
            Lakatos,Waszil
            Sarospotok arrived 1902 age 25
            Destination "Vassailles, PA, to Janos Lakatos.

            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
              I notice that you mention the person that Lakatos left behind. I have
              not found that category on the searches for my relatives. Is it possible
              that it is not on all manifests?
              For example on Julia Rol I see no such category or am I just missing it?

              Helen
            • John M,
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                At 03:35 PM 7/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                >I notice that you mention the person that Lakatos left behind. I have
                >not found that category on the searches for my relatives. Is it possible
                >that it is not on all manifests?
                >For example on Julia Rol I see no such category or am I just missing it?
                >
                >Helen

                That was 1903. I believe manifests after that date had a category
                that required the name and address of the nearest relative in the country
                of origin.

                John M.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                  This category is only found on manifests after 1904 - the immigration
                  acts of 1902/04 greatly expanded the number of categories.
                  Bill Tarkulich

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                    A good explanation of the evolution of passenger manifest data is found
                    here
                    http://www.ancestry.com/library/view/ancmag/5078.asp?rc=locale%7E&us=0
                    Bill Tarkulich

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                      We are still searching for correct information. After talking to someone at the Rusin Association it was once again suggested we look at church records. The church records here in the states have him listed as Wassil Lakatos, village of birth - Deskovycja. Which is in Bereg County in present day Ukraine. Can someone let me know how to get church records for this village, from the actual village? I have tried finding this village using the internet and have not had much luck. Any help would be appreciated. thanks again.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                        At 07:13 PM 7/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:

                        >We are still searching for correct information. After talking to someone
                        >at the Rusin Association it was once again suggested we look at church
                        >records. The church records here in the states have him listed as Wassil
                        >Lakatos, village of birth - Deskovycja. Which is in Bereg County in
                        >present day Ukraine. Can someone let me know how to get church records
                        >for this village, from the actual village? I have tried finding this
                        >village using the internet and have not had much luck. Any help would be
                        >appreciated. thanks again.

                        They have some very knowledgeable people and Ukrainian information

                        Also try http://www.infoukes.com/index.shtml

                        John M.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 12, 2003
                          Church records are held by the Ukraine Archives. You will either need
                          to write or go there yourself or hire someone to do the extracts for
                          you. Either way, it will cost you some $$.

                          Here are some useful links:
                          Archives of the Ukraine http://www.scarch.kiev.ua/Eng/
                          Genealogical Research at Ukraine Archives:
                          http://www.scarch.kiev.ua/Eng/genealogia.php
                          http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/oblasts.html
                          http://www.polishroots.org/archives_ukraine.htm
                          http://www.halgal.com/TsDIAL.html - Lviv Archives