Slovak named head of US Steel Works in Clairton PA

  • Linn4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      As a proud resident of Clairton Pa I was extremely happy to see this article
      in the Post Gazette this morning. Also Ray Teresa mentioned in the article is
      also from my hometown of Duquesne, PA, another former Duquesne PA resident,
      Merle Stein worked in the VSZ in Kosice last year as part of the team from US
      Steel. Mr Goodish also has Slovak roots in the Mon Valley. The old mill
      town of Duquesne is well represented, I guess things in life really do come full
      circle.

      Slovak to manage U.S. Steel's Clairton Works

      Tuesday, July 01, 2003

      By Len Boselovic, Post-Gazette Staff Writer

      U.S. Steel, which used the Slovak Republic as the starting point of its drive
      to become a more global steel producer, is putting one of its high-ranking
      executives from the Central European country in charge of the Clairton Works.

      The promotion of Anton Lukac, 43, right, to general manager of Clairton takes
      effect today. He succeeds Ray Terza, who was promoted to general manager of
      the Mon Valley Works, which includes U.S. Steel's plants in Clairton, Braddock
      and West Mifflin.

      Clairton is the largest coke plant in the Western Hemisphere. It employs
      about 1,500 and last year produced 4.5 million tons of coke, a baked coal used as
      a fuel in steelmaking. U.S. Steel has owned the plant since 1904.

      Lukac has led U.S. Steel teams in the search for new business opportunities
      in Central Europe. U.S. Steel plans to acquire bankrupt Serbian steelmaker
      Sartid in the third quarter. It also is bidding on Polskie Huty Stali, a Polish
      steelmaker.

      Lukac formerly worked for VSZ, joining the Slovak government-owned steelmaker
      in 1991. He served as the project manager for a joint venture VSZ had with
      U.S. Steel. The success of that venture led to U.S. Steel's purchase of its
      partner in 2000. Renamed U.S. Steel Kosice, the Slovak steelmaker has been
      consistently profitable since then.

      Following the acquisition, Lukac was named vice president of strategic
      implementation at U.S. Steel Kosice. John Goodish, U.S. Steel's executive vice
      president for operations, said Lukac has "a diverse, proven background in both
      operations and administration."

      "His performance has been excellent in every task we've given him," said
      Goodish, who has Slovak ancestors.

      (