Re: Surname Runc'ak

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      So Rusyn surnames vary widely, some common endings are -cak, -cik,
      -jak, -njak, and -ak.

      Nová Sedlica (Sk)
      Novoselyca (Rusyn)
      U'jszék (H)

      Zboj (Sk)
      Zbuj (Rusyn)
      Harczos (H)

      LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records (1787-1878) which
      are listed for both villages under Zboj.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Church Slavonic.

      film #
      1920560
      1920561

      And from Zboj were

      Mihály (H) Michael Tarkulics, age 24, emigrated in 1903 to his brother
      Vaszil Tarkulics in Dunmore PA.
      Perhaps his given name was Vasyl' (Wasil, Vasko, Wash)

      Milós (H) Nicholas Tarkulics, age 25, and Péter Tarkulics, age 16,
      emigrated in 1904 to brother Mihály Tackulics in Corning NY.
      And Vaszil Tarkulics , age 25, emigrated in 1901 to Scranton PA.

      Frank Kurc^ina
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        Dear Frank,

        Thank you for the advice, but my research is already pretty complete.

        I have traced back family in Slovakia to 1700, been to Zboj and Nova
        Sedlica, stayed with my cousins there (see
        http://www.geocities.com/tarkulich/ ) and communicate with friends and
        family there quite regularly. I am quite familiar with Rusyn culture,
        heritage and history. I have also extensively researched many of the
        families in the area, with records on more than 600.

        Spent over 300 hours on the GC films alone. Neither the GC films or
        ship manifests are helpful in locating the families of people who
        immigrated from Slovakia to the USA.

        I posted this response to assist Lorna and as a favor to my friends in
        Slovakia.

        Sincerely,
        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to