Re: [S-R] Re: Help please !!

  • joannp1
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 30, 2003
      From: "Frank" <frankur@...>
      To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 5:32 PM
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Help please !!

      > Joann
      >
      > You didn't give your GF's religion.

      He was Byzantine Catholic and then went to Greek Orthodox.
      > Why I ask is that the page where Elek's father-in-law was listed
      > was a mix of Slovaks and Ruthenians.
      > His Last Residence looks like U'jszemere or U'jszemcze
      > (in Magyar)
      >
      > U'jszemere was a Carpatho-Rusyn village located in Ung megye, Hungary.
      > 10th c to 1918 Transcarpathian Rus' was part of Hungary.
      >
      > U'jszemere is now called Simerki/Semerky and is located
      > 5 miles ENE of Perec^in, Ukraine which is located just across
      > the current Slovakia-Ukraine border and NE of Uzhhord
      > Uz^gorod y >|< | O P O /|

      Yes, I knew he was from Simerki and sometimes he listed it as Vulshinki.
      > Elek is also an unusual Hungarian given name.
      > It could translate to Alexis.

      Again, he took the name Alex here in this country but I can remember him
      being called Alexis.
      > The EIR listed 66 surnames Pecka.
      > The majority of them were from Czech-Bohemia.
      > There is a town called Pecka in CR.
      > Pecka/Pecko can also be a Slovak surname.
      >
      > Carnaro (I) Kvarner (Croatian) region
      >
      > Elek's port of departure was Trieste.
      > Austria before WW I.
      > Italy after WW I.
      > Yugoslavia after WW II.
      > Now Italy.
      >
      > If his father-in-law's surname was Siravetz/Sirovetz ?,
      > U.S. Social Security Death Index (SSDI) lists 6 surname Sirovetz
      > from NJ.
      > Thank you, I will have to check that out.

      Joann

      > Frank K

    • David J Hanich
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
        JoAnn,

        My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
        relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
        know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
        year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
        computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
        how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
        It's confusing!
        --Dave Hanich
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
          Dave,
          I wrote some reference material on the 1869 Census and posted it at
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm
          Was this useful?
          Bill Tarkulich

          My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of
          his relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I
          don't know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer
          this year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the
          old computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find
          out how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of
          Hanigovce. It's confusing!
          --Dave Hanich

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • David J Hanich
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
            Bill,
            Maybe I'm dense, but does this mean I should go to a FHC at a
            local Mormon church to find these documents, or is there a place online
            to do it?
            --Dave
          • joannp1
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
              Dave:

              I do remember the name but, I too, got a new computer and then it crashed,
              so it had to be repaired and I lost a lot.

              Do you have the address where the manifest is located on the Ellis Island
              site? How was her name spelled at that time? I just went to the site for
              Helen Hanich and I couldn't find anything. Maybe it will help if I can find
              that manifest and then retrace my notes.
              I now have added the name Siravetz and Belejkovics to the Pecka family and
              everything keeps coming back to Scranton. Hope we can figure this out. Let
              me know what you have.

              Thank You,
              Joann
              > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
              > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
              > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
              > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
              > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
              > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
              > It's confusing!
              > --Dave Hanich

            • joannp1
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                Dave:

                You can go the local FHC library and find the records you want to look at
                and they will order them for you and you go back there and read them. They
                are really helpful.

                I found some information there, but not on the Pecka's, but on the Fagula
                surname from Saros County, Slovakia.

                Joann
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                  JoAnn,
                  The name was spelled in Hungarian as Hanics; "cs" ="ch" in
                  English. My grandfather's cousins were named Szabo and immigrated to
                  Rankin, PA right next to Pittsburgh. I'll look up what else I have.
                  --Dave
                • Helen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                    The Genealogical Research Society of Northeastern Pa. with headquarters
                    in the Scranton area may be able to help answer some of your questions.
                    www.cfrobbins.com
                    Helen
                  • joannp1
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                      Dave:

                      Now I remember, her mother was Julia Pecka. What was your grandfather's
                      name from Vulshinki?

                      Joann
                      > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
                      > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
                      > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
                      > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
                      > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
                      > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
                      > It's confusing!
                      > --Dave Hanich

                    • Milan Huba
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                        Ellek is an unusal name. It was at one time used by my grandfather. My
                        grandfather's was born in Hungary with the surname "Illy". After he arrived
                        in America (just prior to WWI), he changed the spelling of his name a couple
                        of times. At first he wrote his name "Illek", then later he wrote it
                        "Ellek" and finally settled on "Ellak". When I asked why the spelling of
                        the name was changed so many times, the explanation that was given to me was
                        that he was trying to maintain the European pronoucation of his name. In
                        Europe where he lived as a young man, "Illy" was pronouced the same as Ellak
                        is pronouced in English. Thus he change the English spelling of his name to
                        maintain the original European pronoucation. Apparently, it took a couple
                        of name changes before he decided that he got it right.

                        Perhaps somehow or another this may help you with you Ellek..

                        Milan Huba

                        He was Byzantine Catholic and then went to Greek Orthodox.
                        > Why I ask is that the page where Elek's father-in-law was listed
                        > was a mix of Slovaks and Ruthenians.
                        > His Last Residence looks like U'jszemere or U'jszemcze
                        > (in Magyar)
                        >
                        > U'jszemere was a Carpatho-Rusyn village located in Ung megye, Hungary.
                        > 10th c to 1918 Transcarpathian Rus' was part of Hungary.
                        >
                        > U'jszemere is now called Simerki/Semerky and is located
                        > 5 miles ENE of Perec^in, Ukraine which is located just across
                        > the current Slovakia-Ukraine border and NE of Uzhhord
                        > Uz^gorod y >|< | O P O /|

                        Yes, I knew he was from Simerki and sometimes he listed it as Vulshinki.
                        > Elek is also an unusual Hungarian given name.
                        > It could translate to Alexis.

                        Again, he took the name Alex here in this country but I can remember him
                        being called Alexis.
                        > The EIR listed 66 surnames Pecka.
                        > The majority of them were from Czech-Bohemia.
                        > There is a town called Pecka in CR.
                        > Pecka/Pecko can also be a Slovak surname.
                        >
                        > Carnaro (I) Kvarner (Croatian) region
                        >
                        > Elek's port of departure was Trieste.
                        > Austria before WW I.
                        > Italy after WW I.
                        > Yugoslavia after WW II.
                        > Now Italy.
                        >
                        > If his father-in-law's surname was Siravetz/Sirovetz ?,
                        > U.S. Social Security Death Index (SSDI) lists 6 surname Sirovetz
                        > from NJ.
                        > Thank you, I will have to check that out.

                        Joann

                        > Frank K

                      • David J Hanich
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                          Joann,
                          My grandfather's name was Fedor (Frank) Hanich, born in 1887.
                          Last year my only surviving uncle sent me some documents my uncles had
                          kept all these years, including my grandfather's birth/baptism
                          certificate. There were also a lot of legal papers which I am still
                          attempting to translate, but have made some progress. They were legal
                          records of transfering property to my great-grandfather, Michail Salapka
                          Hanich and to Janos Salapka Hanich in the 1880s, and again when he died
                          in1902 and the inheritance passed to my grandfather and his 6 siblings:
                          Constantin, Elek, Gyorgy, Andras, Julia, and Vaszily. Also when my
                          grandfather sold his part back to his brothers who remained in Europe, at
                          800 korunas (for which I have no idea of the value.)
                          My uncle is amazed at the progress I've made in the past year. I
                          was able to find the ships my grandparents arrived on, and the dates.
                          From my grandparents' marriage license I deciphered the names of both of
                          their parents. They were married in Perth Amboy, NJ in 1913; my
                          grandmother was from Saris, but my paternal great grandparents were named
                          Michail Salapka Hanich and Anna Szabo. My maternal great-grandparents
                          were Janos Kravcik and Maria Surin. (I think I've mixed up the Hungarian,
                          Slovak and English spellings of names throughout all this, but it gets
                          tiresome with 3 versions to deal with, doesn't it?)
                          On the 1910 map of Ung megye I can see Egreshat
                          (Vulsinki/Vilshynky) and right next to it, in Hungarian, what looks like
                          Szemereho. It's at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gonczy/ung.htm.
                        • David J Hanich
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                            Bill,
                            Thank you for the info. I plan to look up my grandmother's
                            village, Hanigovce, Saris, next week. As you said, Ung county is now in
                            Ukraine, and hasn't been microfilmed, so I can't look up my grandfather's
                            village. But I heard somewhere there are archives in Uzhorod that contain
                            old records. Do you know anything about that?
                            --Dave
                          • David J Hanich
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                              --I have some 1998 pictures of the church and text in Ukrainian (from a
                              book) that I can scan and send you of the two churches. It's up to you
                              to get it translated, though I have some references.

                              Bill,
                              Thanks a lot, I'd love to see them, and share them with my
                              relatives. I can read a little Cyrillic/ Russian so it would be great to
                              see whatever you can send me.
                              --Dave

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                                Dave,
                                The Mormons travelled to Slovakia and microfilmed the 1869 Census, local
                                church records and other items from the Slovak Republic National
                                Archives. The only thing you will find online is an index of village
                                names in their card catalog. There are no specific village records
                                online, except the rare case where an individual researcher has done it
                                for a specific village. Generally speaking, these records are NOT
                                online.

                                Go here http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                                and search on Slovakia. Select "Slovakia - Census - 1869 ". It will
                                show you the films, organized by old county names, using the old names.
                                When you click on a county, and view film notes, you'll see the names of
                                the villages. If you don't know the county, or know only the current
                                village name, this will be either laborious or impossible. You then
                                find the film number and order it.

                                That is why I created the index of villages shown on my web at
                                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm The easiest of
                                these lists to sort through is
                                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/1869_Census_at_LDS.htm organized by
                                Magyar name. I've included Magyar and slovak names and county and film
                                numbers. If you village is not included, the Mormons have not
                                catalogued the film or made it available yet.

                                Hope this helps. Write again if you have questions.
                                Bill Tarkulich

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                                  The 1869 Census was only allowed to be filmed by Slovakia and only
                                  contains records from within the Slovakia border. Thus, if you are
                                  looking for Simerki Ukraine, it will not be found in the LDS FHL
                                  records.
                                  Bill Tarkulich

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                                    Data from 1910 Census for you:
                                    The actual spelling is:
                                    SZMEREKOVO = SZEMEREKO = SMEREKOVA (CMepeKoBa in Ukraine)
                                    Population 496, 6 Magyar, 12 German, 478 Ruthenian; 483 Greek Catholic,
                                    13 Jew
                                    Greek Catholic Church Founded in 1770, only a portion of original
                                    structure remains.
                                    There is also a newly built Orthodox church.

                                    Egreshat = Vulsinki = Vishany (Ukraine)
                                    Pop 624: 3 Magyar, 621 Ruthenian; 604 Greek Catholic, 20 Jew
                                    Greek Church founded in 1751.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 3, 2003
                                      Yes, all the records are in the Uzhorod archives. You can write to
                                      them, wait the wait of many months, pay the fee and they will send you
                                      information.
                                      Bill Tarkulich

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                        Bill:

                                        Would you please send the pictures to me also. I would greatly appreciate
                                        anything from Vulshinki you could send.

                                        Thanks,

                                        Joann
                                        joannp1@...

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                          I will send the photos in a couple of days.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 4, 2003
                                            Thanks!

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 5, 2003
                                              Bill:

                                              Do you have The pictures and text from Szemereko?

                                              These are the two villages that keep comig up in my grandfathers history.

                                              Thank you
                                              Joan

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                                Dave:

                                                I just got the time to go through the records I have and it seems your
                                                grandmother Helene Hanics left her mother ( your greatgrandmother0 Julia
                                                Peczko in Vulshinki when she came to this country in 1910.

                                                My grandfather came from Vulshinki and his last name was Peczko, Pecka
                                                (however it was spelled at the time). Your grandmother went to Binghamton,
                                                NY and there were know Peczko's therebut that is where I need to make the
                                                connection. The NY Peczko's and the Scranton Peczko's are cousins and my
                                                grandfather was a Scranton Peczko but then left and no one knows about him
                                                and I can't make the difinite connection. I am about 99% sure that all the
                                                Peczko's that came over around 1905 to 1915 from Vulshinki were all cousins.
                                                There is a letter that my grandfathers daughter wrote in 1922 talking about
                                                the uncles and I really think that is where the connection is. If we could
                                                get records from the Ukraine we could have it settled but that seems to be
                                                impossible. So for now, I do believe they were all first cousins.

                                                If you have any information on your grandmother Helene Hanics I would
                                                greatly appreciate the info.

                                                Thanks,
                                                Joann
                                                > My grandfather was also from Vulsinki, and I believe you found one of his
                                                > relatives, Helen Hanich, who went to a Pecka relative of yours. I don't
                                                > know if I have any files you might need; I bought a new computer this
                                                > year and am not sure I was able to transfer all my info from the old
                                                > computer. If I can get you any info, let me know. I'm trying to find out
                                                > how to use the 1869 census for my grandmother's village of Hanigovce.
                                                > It's confusing!
                                                > --Dave Hanich

                                              • joannp1
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 11, 2003
                                                  Dave:

                                                  OOOOOPPPPPPS, I just re-read your e-mail, Helen Hanics was not your
                                                  grandmother...........sorry, now I see she was probably your grandfathers
                                                  sister-in-law?? Well, hope you have any information on her.