Re: Sabinov

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
      Sabinov used to be called Kiz-Szeben and also Cibinium (in Latin).

      Records are in the FHC catalog under Kiz-Szeben not Sabinov.

      I have the full 5 microfilm set of RCatholic records on permanent loan
      at my FHC, as that is where my mother's maternal side comes from, and
      where I have them back so far to the mid-1700's. Records go back to the
      early 1600's. The records are well filmed and fairly easy to read, but
      of course, no index. On a personal note, many of these records are
      written in the hand of my gr/gr/uncle August Mazalik, who was head
      priest at St. John the Baptist, the Catholic church there. It's quite
      something to read records of your family written by an actual relative!

      There are also Jewish records filmed for Sabinov.

      I'm still trying to find the town records for the Hungarian census,
      which I cannot find under either name.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
        Maura, that is wonderful news. I did not bother to look because I have been
        disappointed so many times in the FHC catalog when I search under the old
        Hungarian name.

        If we are searching in a region where the records go back to only 1784 as I
        discovered in Opina, does that mean the records were kept elsewhere or that
        they don't exist? I hope this is not as dumb a question as it sounds.

        Andrea

        > Sabinov used to be called Kiz-Szeben and also Cibinium (in Latin).
        >
        > Records are in the FHC catalog under Kiz-Szeben not Sabinov.
        >
        > I have the full 5 microfilm set of RCatholic records on permanent loan
        > at my FHC, as that is where my mother's maternal side comes from, and
        > where I have them back so far to the mid-1700's. Records go back to the
        > early 1600's. The records are well filmed and fairly easy to read, but
        > of course, no index. On a personal note, many of these records are
        > written in the hand of my gr/gr/uncle August Mazalik, who was head
        > priest at St. John the Baptist, the Catholic church there. It's quite
        > something to read records of your family written by an actual relative!
        >
        > There are also Jewish records filmed for Sabinov.
        >
        > I'm still trying to find the town records for the Hungarian census,
        > which I cannot find under either name.
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        > sabinov@...
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      • Andy Verostko
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
          Andrea

          I have sent this info out numerous times and here it is again.
          I hope it is useful.

          Slovakia - Cross Index of towns.

          There is a microfische cross reference of all towns in Slovakia
          and the parish under which the data is recorded. The data is a
          book the has been put on both microfische and microfilm. Most FHCs have
          one or.t the other.
          If neither is available, you should order the microfiche since it then
          becomes part of the
          permanent recods at the FHC>

          Relevant Data:

          Author: Jana Kalesna
          Title: Prehlad Matrik Na Slovensko Do Zostatnenia Matricnej.
          Library Refernce Number: 943.73 K23k

          Microfische #: 6000786
          Microfilm #: 1183541 Item 4.

          To use, you look up the name of the town/village at the back of the
          book.
          Villages and towns are listed Alphabetically. Along with the town will
          be a
          list of page numbers. Go to each of the page numbers and scan the page
          for
          your village name. The village name will be listed under the name of the
          town parish
          where the church data was recorded.

          Typical will be something like this.

          Looking up Hincovce, Spis province, Slovakia Reads:
          Hincovce, Okr SNV 286, 289, 308.

          Looking on pages 286 Shows a town listed as Bystrany
          and included under Bystrany are records for Bystrany, Hincovce & Trstany

          from 1779 - 1896, Roman Catholic. Now, use the computer
          to Look up Bystrany and you will find the microfilm numbers
          for the Church (Roman Catholic) and towns listed.

          Looking under Page 289 is the identifying data for the
          Evangelical Reformed Church where Hincovce data can be found.

          Looking at page 308 identifies the town under which Jewish
          records can be found.

          I hope this makes some sense
          Regards Andy V....

          --
          Regards

          Andy Verostko

          averostko@...

          http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko/

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
            Thanks a million. I think that I found a similar book, or the same one, but
            when I asked if I could order it, the people at the FHC said that I had to
            go to Salt Lake City to check it out. Neither they nor I realized that
            there was a microfiche or microfilm version available. What a relief!

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
              No, it's not a dumb question at all.... however I don't really know the
              answer :)

              In terms of Sabinov I do know the answer, but this may not be true for
              other places. The Sabinov records that are filmed are virtually the
              exact same records you get if you go to Presov archives to search.....
              because I had a researcher check this for me at the Presov archives. The
              only difference is that the microfilmed records go to 1895-1898, and so
              there is a slight gap in the time to 1900, which is when in all of the
              Slovak Republic you must get records via the Embassy and the appropriate
              archive for privacy reasons.

              I have one stray record not in the films, the baptism of my grandmother
              Irene Silhavy which took place in Sabinov in 1898 and is not filmed. All
              I want is the names of her godparents, which may not be listed on the
              government record, so I am having someone I know in Sabinov get that for
              me (hopefully).

              Maybe someone else on the list has a better answer for you on generally
              what is filmed vs what you can access at archives, but I would think
              it's pretty well the same as the Slovak Republic has been very good
              about letting the LDS have access and film their records.

              Wish that were true about the Czech Republic....

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
                Guess what? The Opina microfilms have some information that goes up to the
                year 1948. I am not sure where or who it is -- it is section 1 or 2, and my
                interest lies in sections 3-5. I can try to figure it out if you are
                interested. Looks like a little -- very little -- village parish with only
                a handful of events per year. But I was surprised to find it.