Re: [S-R] surname Troychak

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2003
      At 04:10 AM 6/28/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hello John M.: Thanks for the information. I looked Kosice up in the
      >atlas, noticed Presov, and remembered my father saying that's where
      >his father came from. I'm trying to find history and current
      >information on Mala Vieska, and found one site in Slovak.
      >http://www.cassovia.sk/druzstevna/mv.php3. The English translation
      >link doesn't work.

      I have very little knowledge of Slovak but will try a rough translation of
      some of the page. The page starts out and gives the history of the names
      the village has had since about 1423. It says that it became a Slovak
      village in 1773. It mentions something about the records include the names
      of the lieges in 1720 and 1758. I think it says that the inhabitants were
      Slovak from the beginning. At the bottom of the page there is a link to a
      page that gives the town, mayor's name, telephone number, postal code and I
      believe the number of people in the town. These towns and villages are in
      the Košicie-okolie districts, which is the okres or district surrounding
      Kos^ice.

      Družstevná pri Hornáde,
      Starost (mayor) Ján Suc^ko, Ing.,
      055 / 6981 005, 6981 202 phone,
      044 31 postal code,
      3,183 population

      >Can you reccommend other sites? I don't know of a Joseph Trojcak in our
      >family. Now that you've located phone numbers for Troychaks in Slovakia
      >that may be my family, what do you think is the best way to proceed?

      Many people write a letter to the mayor of the village in Slovak and ask
      him to pass the information in the letter on to people of the same
      surname. I don't know how successful this approach is.

      John M.