Re: Missing from EIBD

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2003
      John M wrote

      > Others on the list such as Frank K, Bill T , Ron, etc. may have more
      > experience in this area and could help. I'm not
      > certain what "other
      > information" means in the paragraph above but it may
      > be as much or more
      > than the manifest contains. The NARA site may explain that.

      I had reviewed the Ellis Island Records showing the arrival in 1905
      of Teresa Pavlik et al.
      There was no 'Image copy available".
      The text copy listed their Last Residence as 'Haslin'.
      Could not tell if this was Haslín or Haz^ín or Haz^ín (nad
      Cirochou), Slovakia.

      As a rule, the online Ellis Island ship manifests (EIBD) don't always
      match
      the actual microfilms ship manifests available, from say the
      LDS-Mormons or National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
      centers(also available through LDS-Mormons)

      Basically, the Ellis Island database seems to be based on
      the lists prepared by the shipping lines at the ports of departure
      with emigrant information and before the vessels sailed to the U.S.
      port NYC entry.

      Generally the NARA and LDS microfilms contain the emigrant information
      written down by the ship personnel, usually the day before vessel's
      arrival at the various ports of entry, including Ellis Island (NYC)

      Both are these two sets of records the same ?

      Over the years the Passenger Lists for port of New York
      (1897-1957) had been available on 8,892 rolls of microfilms at the
      regional NARA centers and the main NARA ,as well at the Library of
      Congress in Washington, DC.

      Then came the Ellis Island project where LDS volunteers who
      didn't read foreign languages, transcribed the ship manifests
      (1892-1942)

      These are full of mistransliterations and misspelling errors,
      especially under surnames and place names.
      For example, a place name was spelled 11 different ways under
      one surname listing and all were incorrect.
      Finally located the correct place spelling under a (12th) Hungarian
      village name.

      And I have always suspected that these two different sets of ship
      manifests were not identical ?

      For example, the LDS microfilm of ship manifest for arrival of my
      paternal GM and
      children didn't match the online Ellis Island Passenger Records
      image copy of same.

      At LDS FHC, I reviewed the entire manifest microfilm line by line four
      times and found just 1 surnme name listed, my father, age 9.
      My GM and 5 children should also have been listed.

      While the EIR microfilm of ship manifest listed my GM and only 3
      children.
      But, missing were both my father and and an older uncle.
      And I never did locate my uncle in either ship manifest.

      Frank Kurcina
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2003

        Frank wrote:

        >As a rule, the online Ellis Island ship manifests (EIBD) don't always
        >match the actual microfilms ship manifests available, from say the
        >LDS-Mormons or National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
        >centers(also available through LDS-Mormons)
        >
        >Basically, the Ellis Island database seems to be based on
        >the lists prepared by the shipping lines at the ports of departure
        >with emigrant information and before the vessels sailed to the U.S.
        >port NYC entry.
        >
        >Generally the NARA and LDS microfilms contain the emigrant information
        >written down by the ship personnel, usually the day before vessel's
        >arrival at the various ports of entry, including Ellis Island (NYC)
        >
        >Both are these two sets of records the same ?

        Thanks Frank. After reading of your experience, the few surname
        misspellings I encountered with my family seem insignificant. I wonder why
        all the discrepancies? Is it the confusion of interviewing large numbers
        of people, misunderstandings between the interviewer and passenger,
        interview time pressure, etc?

        John M.
      • Mebjwb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2003
          Dear Frank,
          Thank you for to responding to "missing manifest file for Teresa Pavlik."

          Can you tell me what file number your used to access the LDS microfilms on
          emigrant information written down by the ship personnel, usually the day before
          vessel's arrived at Ellis Island?

          I would appreciate any help you can give me.

          Marge B.

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mebjwb@a... wrote:
            > Dear Frank,
            > Thank you for to responding to "missing manifest file for Teresa
            Pavlik."

            > Can you tell me what file number your used to access the LDS
            microfilms on
            > emigrant information written down by the ship personnel, usually the
            day before
            > vessel's arrived at Ellis Island?
            >
            > I would appreciate any help you can give me.
            >
            > Marge B.

            Marge

            Marge

            You need to go local LDS FHC and order the actual ship manifest
            film in which Teresa Pavlik et al was listed.
            This should be listed in The FHC CD-ROM catalog at the FHC under :

            Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at NY, NYC, 1897-1957.

            You want to order :

            Roll 612 Volumes 1301-1303 Beginning Dates Aug 22, 1905.

            When your film comes in you scroll to Volume 1303 and find listing for
            SS Pennsylvania under its arrival date Aug 24, 1905.
            Then under SS Pennsylvania on page 373, line 08 should be Teresa
            Pavlik entry.

            The # 1399291, LDS volunteers gave you is the Index (Soundex) to
            Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at NYC, NY 1902-1943.
            Pavlik is P-142, so you would first need Roll 505,i.e. P-140-P-153.

            If you looked up surname Pavlik on Roll 505 it would eventually give
            you the above Roll 612 from an Index card listing.
            The Index card listing are by surname, then by first name, then
            roll and volume, gender, page and line no.

            Usually this is the first step of two part step in finding a surname
            entry in a particular ship manifest.
            I am just eliminating step 1 above and jumping to the actual
            ship manifest where you will find surname entry for Teresa Pavlik.

            Frank K