Re: (S-R)Last Hope Research

  • Mebjwb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2003
      Dear John,

      Research on Missing Manifest for EIDB for Teresa Pavlik, August 24,
      1905-Ship, The Pennsylvania, arriving NY

      I am appealing to you for guidance (again).

      When I tried to access this record on EIDB on the Internet, I got the message
      "No Image Available".

      Last night I tried the website you recommended to me for finding missing
      manifests. I followed their instructions, they came back with "Not Found".

      I spent this morning at the nearby FHC trying to access this same manifest.
      The two Volunteers manning the office said they could not help with research,
      but I was free to use their computers. So I tried to fly on my own, and I
      crashed!

      All I was able to access was entitled Index to Passenger Lists. This was
      on file
      #1403751. The help sheet I have (Helpful Hints for Successful
      Search-Researching Passenger Arrivals into New York) says that using this file number, I
      was supposed to get a record showing ship arrivals beginning in 1897 plus dates
      to guide me, but there were not any such items offered.

      The Volunteers gave me a phone number to call in Salt Lake. I called and
      gave them the date, name of ship and destination arrival. They gave me #1399296,
      and guaranteed this was the record for arrivals on August 14, 1905 into NY
      showing passengers on The Pennsylvania.

      I keyed in that number and got right back to the Index to Passenger Lists. I
      tried everything I could think of, but no luck.

      I am sure I was doing something wrong, but I could not figure out what, and
      there was not anyone available to guide me.

      Can you give me the file number for the Ellis Island Passenger Lists, not the
      index. Or is there someplace I can find the actual Manifest for this ship,
      Pennsylvania arriving New York on August 24, 1905? Hopefully with your help I
      can order the right film on my return trip to FHC.

      I am feeling quite frustrated this afternoon. However I was able to order
      the 1869 Census for Hazin and the Church Records for the RC church, and I look
      forward to their arrival.

      Thanks again.

      Marge B.

      The Volunteers gave me a phone number to call in Salt Lake. I called and
      gave them the date, ship name, port of arrival, and they gave me #1399296 and
      guaranteed I would find the ship record there.

      I tried, but got right back to the Passenger List Index.

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2003
        At 09:00 PM 6/26/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >Dear John,
        >
        >Research on Missing Manifest for EIDB for Teresa Pavlik, August 24,
        >1905-Ship, The Pennsylvania, arriving NY
        >
        >I am appealing to you for guidance (again).
        >
        >When I tried to access this record on EIDB on the Internet, I got the message
        >"No Image Available".
        >
        >Last night I tried the website you recommended to me for finding missing
        >manifests. I followed their instructions, they came back with "Not Found".

        I believe Bill T said the film was not in the EIDB. If he did, I'm
        assuming he checked using the Missing Manifest search.

        >The Volunteers gave me a phone number to call in Salt Lake. I called and
        >gave them the date, name of ship and destination arrival. They gave me
        >#1399296,
        >and guaranteed this was the record for arrivals on August 14, 1905 into NY
        >showing passengers on The Pennsylvania.

        If you put 1399296 into the Film/Fiche search at :

        Work your way back until you arrive at screen that has View Film Notes and
        this text:
        --------
        "Microfilm of original records at the National Archives.
        Volumes show beginning date occurring on each film.
        These records contain names and other information about immigrants who
        passed through a designated immigration station known as Ellis Island from
        1890 to 1954. Ellis Island is now part of New York City. The index stops at
        1943.
        Includes index, which is filmed in two columns. The 2nd column is filmed
        upside down and the reader head needs to be rotated in order to read it.

        Some records are light and may be hard to read. Some film numbers and years
        of passenger lists are out of order at the present time and will be moved
        to the proper place in the future."
        ---------
        Others on the list such as Frank K, Bill T , Ron, etc. may have more
        experience in this area and could help. I'm not certain what "other
        information" means in the paragraph above but it may be as much or more
        than the manifest contains. The NARA site may explain that.

        http://www.archives.gov/research_room/genealogy/immigrant_arrivals/passenger_records.html

        When I clicked on View Film Notes and scrolled down the page I eventually
        worked my way back to Numbers 1450-1499 of 7609 film notes. There under
        August 24th, 1905, was the film number they gave you:

        v. 1301-1303 Aug 22 1905 FHL US/CAN Film 1399296 (This film covers the
        arrivals between August 24th and 27th.)

        >Can you give me the file number for the Ellis Island Passenger Lists, not the
        >index. Or is there someplace I can find the actual Manifest for this ship,
        >Pennsylvania arriving New York on August 24, 1905? Hopefully with your
        >help I
        >can order the right film on my return trip to FHC.

        I think if you order the film number they gave you it may give you the
        information. As I said, I'm certain there are others on the list that have
        used this process to get passenger information. I haven't but I would be
        interested in hearing from someone who has. Good luck.

        John M.
      • Mebjwb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2003
          Dear John,

          Thanks for your advice. I will try again, using your suggestions. Wish me
          luck.

          Marge B.