surname Troychak

  • stella_goretti
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2003
      > Hello: My name is Mary Troychak. I'm researching my paternal
      grandfather. His name was Albert Troychak, who according to my family
      was born in 1882 in Maloveska, Austria, Hungary and came to the US in
      1903 through Ellis Island. I've done some research on the Ellis Island
      web site and found a Bertalan Trojcsak who came through in January 14
      02
      at 19 years of age. His ethnicity was recorded as Hungary; place of
      residence Kisfalu (which according to one site I visited, is the
      historical name for Mala Vieska). I'm limited by my inability to speak
      Slovak and am hoping that your forum might help me trace my
      grandfather's path to America, and find about past and present
      relatives
      in Slovakia. Thanks.
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2003
        At 04:08 PM 6/26/2003 +0000, you wrote:

        > > Hello: My name is Mary Troychak. I'm researching my paternal
        >grandfather. His name was Albert Troychak, who according to my family
        >was born in 1882 in Maloveska, Austria, Hungary

        Maloveska (aka Mala Vieska) is now part of Druz^stevna pri Hornade (DpH),
        which is located just north of Kosice. There are 13 Trojcak (pronounced
        Troychak) listed in SK online directory for DpH. Two are listed in the
        Mala Vieska part of the town.

        In The Ellis Island database, there is a Joseph Trojcak, age 42, from
        Kisfalu (which translates to small village I believe) arriving in
        1905. Perhaps a relation?

        These two microfilms (FHL INTL Film [ 1978942 Items 2-6 ] and FHL INTL Film
        [ 1923071 Items 1-4 ]) are for Kostolny nad Hornadom. The records for Mala
        Vieska are located with the KnH records.

        John M.
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2003
          At 04:08 PM 6/26/2003 +0000, you wrote:

          >historical name for Mala Vieska). I'm limited by my inability to speak
          >Slovak and am hoping that your forum might help me trace my
          >grandfather's path to America, and find about past and present
          >relatives
          >in Slovakia. Thanks.

          Mary,

          This may be of interest to you:

          "A stop, at the sign for Druzstevna pri Hornade, or Kostolany nad Hornadom,
          the narrator gave us a little history.
          This village had a population of approximately 800 or so people, then a
          drive through the whole village to get an over view. This is the village
          where my Grandfather, Andrew Jozef Ambrisko lived. The emotions that were
          felt during this journey were astounding.

          My 76-year-old Father watched with Awe, seeing for the very first time,
          where his Mother & Father lived as children. He had never been there,
          before this. We were taken up the hills again, behind some cemetery workers
          in a truck. The narrator continued the journey pointing out highlights and
          little bits of information, then on to the church and cemetery. Another
          cemetery with so much anticipation we wondered if we would find anything
          there??? The narrator energetically hiked through the cemetery in search of
          Ambrisko's "Lucky day...I found one," he said. Jozef Ambrisko 1962-1995, we
          were laughing & crying at the same time "Lucky Day here's another one," Jan
          Ambrisko 1914-1990 & Maria Ambriskova 1918 -she must be still alive!! More
          close by all in line Alzbeta Ambriskova 1904-1965 and John Ambrisko
          1907-1974...then finally Maria Ambriskova 1891-1969. The narrator mentioned
          the flowers on the graves, showing someone visits regularly, there is
          definitely living family still there. We left the cemetery knowing that
          there was possible family still alive, fuel for future research. Another
          panoramic view of the whole village, another little road leading to a creek
          going up another hill in search of a mill possibly? No a waterfall and some
          geese pruning them selves in the fresh spring sunshine, breathtaking and to
          think we experienced all this, in the comfort of our own living room. "

          She was watching a video she purchased. This excerpt is
          from http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_journey.htm

          John M.
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 2003
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "stella_goretti" <maryw@s...>
            wrote:

            > > Hello: My name is Mary Troychak. I'm researching my paternal
            > grandfather. His name was Albert Troychak, who according to my
            family
            > was born in 1882 in Maloveska, Austria, Hungary and came to the US
            in
            > 1903 through Ellis Island. I've done some research on the Ellis
            Island
            > web site and found a Bertalan Trojcsak who came through in January
            14
            > 02
            > at 19 years of age. His ethnicity was recorded as Hungary; place of
            > residence Kisfalu (which according to one site I visited, is the
            > historical name for Mala Vieska). I'm limited by my inability to
            speak
            > Slovak and am hoping that your forum might help me trace my
            > grandfather's path to America, and find about past and present
            > relatives
            > in Slovakia. Thanks.

            Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
            part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
            part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
            Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

            -falu/falva means village in Hungarian.
            Kisfalu (H)

            Malá Vieska (Sk) was called Sároskisfalu (H) meaning little
            village (in) Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
            Malá Vieska is located 194 miles ENE of Bratislava and NW of Kos^ice
            in eastern Slovakia.

            Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
            kis little malá/malé/maly'
            nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
            felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
            alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
            felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
            alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'
            Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
            kis little malá/malé/maly'
            nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
            felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
            alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
            felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
            alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

            In Slavic languages and Hungarian the letter j is pron. y.
            Perhaps the surname was Troják ?
            The Hungarian letter cs was also equiv. to Slovak diacritic c^ = ch.

            Hungarian male first name is Bertalan.
            Bartholomew (E)
            Bartholomeus (L)
            No Slovak equivalent.

            Given name Albert is another matter.
            Wojciech is Polish male given name for (Saint) Adelbert
            (Svaty' Vojtech)
            Albert would be the closest modern American name.

            Albertus (L) = Albert (E)
            Also Adelbertus, Adalbert, Adelbert.
            Adalbert or Béla (H)
            Adelbert (G)

            Slovak and Czech verions are Vojtech.
            Vojtech (dim. Vojta, Vojtik, Vojtisek)
            Wojciech, Wojtek, Wojtus (P)

            1995 was the 1,000-year anniversary of the death of Saint
            Adelbert (Svaty' Vojtech), the first Czech bishop from Bohemia.
            Adelbert is celebrated as the most important Czech saint,
            preceded only by Saint Wenceslas.

            Yes.
            In 1902 ship manifest Bertalan , age 19 (b. abt 1882)
            But his information is lined out in the ship manifest.
            He was going to brother-in-law in what looks like a town in
            PA.

            And in 1899, András (Andrew), János (John), and Mihály (Michael)
            emigrated to U.S. from Kisfalu.
            Another Mihály in 1906.
            Another János in 1903.

            The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1784-1895)
            for Malá Vieska.
            Listed under Kostolany nad Hornádom (also called Druzstevná pri
            Hornáde), Slovakia, formerly Kosztolány-Szentistván (or
            Hernád-Szentistván) Sáros megye, Hungary.
            Text in Latin and Hungarian.
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 2003
              wrote:

              > > Hello: My name is Mary Troychak. I'm researching my paternal
              > grandfather. His name was Albert Troychak, who according to my
              family
              > was born in 1882 in Maloveska, Austria, Hungary and came to the US
              in
              > 1903 through Ellis Island. I've done some research on the Ellis
              Island
              > web site and found a Bertalan Trojcsak who came through in January
              14
              > 02
              > at 19 years of age. His ethnicity was recorded as Hungary; place of
              > residence Kisfalu (which according to one site I visited, is the
              > historical name for Mala Vieska). I'm limited by my inability to
              speak
              > Slovak and am hoping that your forum might help me trace my
              > grandfather's path to America, and find about past and present
              > relatives
              > in Slovakia. Thanks.

              After I posted my first reply to your query, I deciphered Bertalan's
              Final Destination in the U.S. in 1902.
              He went to West Leisring PA in Fayette CO PA.
              This was a bituminous (soft) coal mining region located near
              Pittsburgh PA.
              There was Leisering #1, Leisering #2, and Leisering #3 coal mine
              located around Connelsville. PA
              Perhaps they were 'coal patch' towns,i.e, built right on the coal
              mining properties.

              Most of the 25 surnames listed in the EIR appear to be from your
              Trojcsak clan.
              (This was the Hungarian spelling, Trojc^ak in Slovak)
              Although the place name were misspelled, surnames were from
              Sároskisfalu (H) aka Malá Vieska, Kostol'any (Sk) i.e. church + -any
              (masculine) town ending, or Kosztolány Szentistván (H), i.e. Saint
              Stephen, Hungary

              Frank Kurcina
            • stella_goretti
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2003
                Frank: Thank you so much! I have some additional
                questions/information.

                1. In spite of the variant spellings (surname, town names) I figured
                Bertalan must be Albert Troychak (my grandfather) because on my
                father's baptismal certificate (my father was also named Albert) his
                name was listed as Bartholomeus.
                2. I wondered about the fact that Bertalan's name was crossed out on
                the ship manifest. So how did you get from there (message 7597, which
                made me think I hadn't found him) to tracing him to a coal mining
                region in PA? He ended up mining coal in Cle Elum, WA (which makes me
                think I've found him). What does the crossed out name signify?
                3. The Janos who came through Ellis Island in 1903 might be my Uncle
                John, who supposedly came over a year later with my grandmother
                (Barbara Sedlachek, born 5/22/1881 in Yanovic Austria Hungary)when he
                was an infant (born 7/24/02). I haven't been able to find a record of
                my grandmother on the Ellis Island site.
                4. When you refer to the 25 surnames listed in the EIR (message 7600)
                does that refer to Ellis Island Record?
                5. In message 7597 you refer to the LDS-Mormon film of the parish
                church records for Mala Vieska (text in Latin and Hungarian). How
                could I access an English translation?
                6. Do you have any recommendation for continuing my research? I'm
                attending a family reunion July 19, and I'd love to be able to
                present documents and flesh out the history a little.
                7. I'm visiting Ellis Island soon. Have you been there? Do you have
                any suggestions for how to get the most out of the museum?
                Thanks again. You've fired further interest in family history.
                Mary Troychak

              • stella_goretti
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2003
                  Hello John M.: Thanks for the information. I looked Kosice up in the
                  atlas, noticed Presov, and remembered my father saying that's where
                  his father came from. I'm trying to find history and current
                  information on Mala Vieska, and found one site in Slovak.
                  http://www.cassovia.sk/druzstevna/mv.php3. The English translation
                  link doesn't work. Can you reccommend other sites? I don't know of a
                  Joseph Trojcak in our family. Now that you've located phone numbers
                  for Troychaks in Slovakia that may be my family, what do you think is
                  the best way to proceed? I appreciate your help, Mary Troychak.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                  > At 04:08 PM 6/26/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                  >

                  > > > Hello: My name is Mary Troychak. I'm researching my paternal
                  > >grandfather. His name was Albert Troychak, who according to my
                  family
                  > >was born in 1882 in Maloveska, Austria, Hungary
                  >
                  > Maloveska (aka Mala Vieska) is now part of Druz^stevna pri Hornade
                  (DpH),
                  > which is located just north of Kosice. There are 13 Trojcak
                  (pronounced
                  > Troychak) listed in SK online directory for DpH. Two are listed in
                  the
                  > Mala Vieska part of the town.
                  >
                  > In The Ellis Island database, there is a Joseph Trojcak, age 42,
                  from
                  > Kisfalu (which translates to small village I believe) arriving in
                  > 1905. Perhaps a relation?
                  >
                  > These two microfilms (FHL INTL Film [ 1978942 Items 2-6 ] and FHL
                  INTL Film
                  > [ 1923071 Items 1-4 ]) are for Kostolny nad Hornadom. The records
                  for Mala
                  > Vieska are located with the KnH records.
                  >
                  > John M.
                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 2003
                    wrote:
                    > Frank: Thank you so much! I have some additional
                    > questions/information.
                    >
                    > 1. In spite of the variant spellings (surname, town names) I figured
                    > Bertalan must be Albert Troychak (my grandfather) because on my
                    > father's baptismal certificate (my father was also named Albert) his
                    > name was listed as Bartholomeus.
                    > 2. I wondered about the fact that Bertalan's name was crossed out on
                    > the ship manifest. So how did you get from there (message 7597,
                    which
                    > made me think I hadn't found him) to tracing him to a coal mining
                    > region in PA? He ended up mining coal in Cle Elum, WA (which makes
                    me
                    > think I've found him). What does the crossed out name signify?
                    > 3. The Janos who came through Ellis Island in 1903 might be my Uncle
                    > John, who supposedly came over a year later with my grandmother
                    > (Barbara Sedlachek, born 5/22/1881 in Yanovic Austria Hungary)when
                    he
                    > was an infant (born 7/24/02). I haven't been able to find a record
                    of
                    > my grandmother on the Ellis Island site.
                    > 4. When you refer to the 25 surnames listed in the EIR (message
                    7600)
                    > does that refer to Ellis Island Record?
                    > 5. In message 7597 you refer to the LDS-Mormon film of the parish
                    > church records for Mala Vieska (text in Latin and Hungarian). How
                    > could I access an English translation?
                    > 6. Do you have any recommendation for continuing my research? I'm
                    > attending a family reunion July 19, and I'd love to be able to
                    > present documents and flesh out the history a little.
                    > 7. I'm visiting Ellis Island soon. Have you been there? Do you have
                    > any suggestions for how to get the most out of the museum?
                    > Thanks again. You've fired further interest in family history.
                    > Mary Troychak

                    Mary,

                    Actually it was Leisenring PA.
                    The handwriting under his lined out manifest entry was very faint.
                    His Final Destination In U.S. was Leisering Pa.
                    He went to a brother-in-law, Judro ? + a surname ?
                    So Bertalen had a married sister living in PA.

                    Interesting, Bertalan listed as age 19 in manifest was also listed as
                    married ?
                    Perhaps there were errors in his entry ?

                    If he had not been admitted his entry would have been stamped as such.
                    Or, perhaps his entry had been moved to another page ?
                    Regardless, you know he ended up as coal miner in another state.

                    Once spent a year at a regional NARA researching Slavic surnames
                    in coal mining regions in PA and OH.

                    Historic Towns; Cle Elum, Roslyn (a coal mining town) WA.
                    Roslyn is a quaint former logging and coal mining town in
                    the Cascade Mountain range in Washington state.
                    90 minute drive from Seattle.

                    A friend in Seattle who had had some coal miner relatives had sent me
                    a photograph of Coal Miners Memorial in Roslyn.
                    Shown in small size in URL below.

                    http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:t7Afj2ou6p4J:www.speakeasy.org/~m
                    ykejw/Roslyn/roslyn2.html+Roslyn+WA+coal+mining&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

                    25 surnames Trojcsak were listed in Ellis Island Records (EIR)

                    1903
                    Janos, age 20, Last Residence Kisfalu, Final Destination
                    Connellsville PA ,then can't decipher line, then ? Trojcsak,
                    Leisenring Pa.

                    1903
                    Janos, age 37, married, Slovac, Last Residence Tehany (but this
                    was Tahanovce (Sk) Hernádtihany (H) located 3 miles distant from
                    Malá Vieska)
                    Final Destination Dawson Pa, to brother-in-law Johan Tobias.
                    Dawson Fayette CO is about 5 miles distant from Conellsville PA.
                    Another sister living in PA.

                    Yanovic ?
                    In Slavic languages the letter J is pron. Y.
                    EIR lists 266 surnames Sedalcek.
                    Sedalc^ek could be a Czech or Slovak surname.

                    A farmer who owned a big piece of land was called a Sedlak,if smaller
                    piece of land a Sedlacek (-cik/-cek is a diminutive indicating the
                    quality of smallness)

                    There are 13 places names Janovice in CR.

                    However, a Janovník (Sk) is located 2 miles distant from Malá Vieska.
                    LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1747-1895) for
                    Janovník, Slovakia.
                    Listed under Budimír.
                    Text in Latin and Hungarian.

                    There are no English translations of the parish church records
                    written in Latin and Hungarian etc.
                    You need to do your own translations.

                    Start here :

                    Try URL below for Church Record Translations.
                    http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

                    Hungarian genealogy words
                    http://www.geocities.com:0080/Heartland/Plains/7347/hungword.htm

                    Frank Kurcina
                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 28, 2003
                      At 04:10 AM 6/28/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Hello John M.: Thanks for the information. I looked Kosice up in the
                      >atlas, noticed Presov, and remembered my father saying that's where
                      >his father came from. I'm trying to find history and current
                      >information on Mala Vieska, and found one site in Slovak.
                      >http://www.cassovia.sk/druzstevna/mv.php3. The English translation
                      >link doesn't work.

                      I have very little knowledge of Slovak but will try a rough translation of
                      some of the page. The page starts out and gives the history of the names
                      the village has had since about 1423. It says that it became a Slovak
                      village in 1773. It mentions something about the records include the names
                      of the lieges in 1720 and 1758. I think it says that the inhabitants were
                      Slovak from the beginning. At the bottom of the page there is a link to a
                      page that gives the town, mayor's name, telephone number, postal code and I
                      believe the number of people in the town. These towns and villages are in
                      the Košicie-okolie districts, which is the okres or district surrounding
                      Kos^ice.

                      Družstevná pri Hornáde,
                      Starost (mayor) Ján Suc^ko, Ing.,
                      055 / 6981 005, 6981 202 phone,
                      044 31 postal code,
                      3,183 population

                      >Can you reccommend other sites? I don't know of a Joseph Trojcak in our
                      >family. Now that you've located phone numbers for Troychaks in Slovakia
                      >that may be my family, what do you think is the best way to proceed?

                      Many people write a letter to the mayor of the village in Slovak and ask
                      him to pass the information in the letter on to people of the same
                      surname. I don't know how successful this approach is.

                      John M.