Kiss-Szeben, Saros County, Hungary

  • J.West
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 1999
      At the following website: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
      you will find a map of Saros County, Hungary. Look in the pink-coloured
      area near the bottom (just above the blue-coloured area) and you will find
      Kiss-Szeben.

      The following website: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
      will provide you with a list of county maps, the approximate date of each
      map, and the size of the image. As well there is a map showing all of the
      counties in historic Hungary if you scroll to the bottom of the page.

      The following website: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/1910ind.htm
      will provide other links to old and contemporary maps about
      Austria-Hungary at beginning of 20th century.

      All of this is provided by the Department of Cartography, Eotvos Lorand
      University, Faculty of Science, Budapest, Hungary. Main website is:
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/gb/gbindex.html

      Thanks to their response to my query, I was able to find my father's
      birthplace of Korompa, Szepes County, historic Hungary, now Krompachy,
      Slovakia.

      Judy West (Searching: Praszlicskai and Kiss)
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 1999
        Thanks --- I did look at this site, which I have bookmarked. It is
        absolutely wonderful. But I can't figure out what the modern Slovak name
        for Kis Szeben is. The Kis part should mean Little, I think. So I should
        be looking for a Slovak name that might relate to the name itself, Szeben.
        Usually these names are close phonetically -- could it possibly be Sabinov?

        Andrea

        > you will find a map of Saros County, Hungary. Look in the pink-coloured
        > area near the bottom (just above the blue-coloured area) and you will find
        > Kiss-Szeben.
        >
        > The following website: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm
        > will provide you with a list of county maps, the approximate date of each
        > map, and the size of the image. As well there is a map showing all of the
        > counties in historic Hungary if you scroll to the bottom of the page.
        >
        > The following website: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/1910ind.htm
        > will provide other links to old and contemporary maps about
        > Austria-Hungary at beginning of 20th century.
        >
        > All of this is provided by the Department of Cartography, Eotvos Lorand
        > University, Faculty of Science, Budapest, Hungary. Main website is:
        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/gb/gbindex.html
        >
        > Thanks to their response to my query, I was able to find my father's
        > birthplace of Korompa, Szepes County, historic Hungary, now Krompachy,
        > Slovakia.
        >
        > Judy West (Searching: Praszlicskai and Kiss)

      • Al Stoffa
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 1999
          Andrea,

          I show current day Sabinov as Kis-Szeben in 1808 and Kisszeban from
          1863-1913. Hope this is useful.

          Al Stoffa
          a_stoffa@...

          Researching STOFA and TOMAS from near Humenne, Zemplin, Slovakia.
          Researching GREGA (GREGOR) and DURICA from Slovakia. All went to the
          Freeland, Luzerne Co., PA area between 1880-1900.

          <HR>