Re: Villlage name

  • MarthaSol@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
      The new or Slovak name of Szeben is Sabinov. It is north of Presov. Before
      WW1 it was part of Hungary.
      I've been trying to get info from a recent city directory or phone book
      from that city. Surprised that travelers to Slovakia can't bring one back to
      USA or is that restricted material ?
      Anyone know if there are genealogy groups in Slovakia ? Or is there little
      interest since they "know where they came from"?
      Martha@aol
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
        Hi, I don't think the Family Search website knows that I exist. Kis Szeben
        was easier than many of them -- I had just puzzled it out when my friend Joe
        Armata confirmed it. The word Kis means Little, so I looked for a phonetic
        match to Szeben in the area, which was Sabinov, a good sized town. I have
        not checked yet but the Family History Library ought to have records for
        that place. My experience with the LDS database is that it is great when
        you know exactly what you are looking for but not until! :-)

        Andrea

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Andrea Vangor" <drav@... wrote:
          > Is anyone familiar with a town called Kis-Szeben? I am trying to
          discover
          > the modern Slovak name. It was probably what we would call the
          deanery
          > headquarters for a subdivision of the Kos~ice Diocese that
          contained a tiny
          > hamlet that has disappeared, Saroska Nyarsardo, and may have the
          Roman
          > Catholic records for the area. I am tracking a family named Michik
          from the
          > hamlet.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Andrea

          Hi Andrea,
          We are researching Michik's too. We would love to hear from you
          to exchange info. Please contact us at pp1955@...
          Thank you, Rick and Dolores
        • John M.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2002
            At 11:30 PM 6/22/02 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Andrea Vangor" <drav@... wrote:
            > > Is anyone familiar with a town called Kis-Szeben? I am trying to
            > discover the modern Slovak name. It was probably what we would call the
            > deanery headquarters for a subdivision of the Kos~ice Diocese that
            > contained a tiny hamlet that has disappeared, Saroska Nyarsardo, and may
            > have the Roman Catholic records for the area. I am tracking a family
            > named Michik from the
            > hamlet.

            The current name for Kis-Szeben is Sabinov.

            John