Re: Church Latin

  • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
      << From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
      husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
      farm. >>
      Just to add my two cents, this is probably correct; I know this was also a
      custom in Italy and perhaps it was widespread. I also know in Italy
      sometimes a wife's maiden name was added before or after the man's just
      because the man's surname was so common, it was a way to distiguish who his
      descendents were. I know that my Slovak grandmother-in-law's surname was
      Sebej Koval, and the family lore is that Sebej was added because Koval was so
      common - perhaps a Koval married a Sebej somewhere along the line.
      Robin Hannig
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
        Yes, I have heard the same. The woman's family name would be adapted if
        the woman's family was much better off than the mans family; if the
        woman's family name was in danger of dying off; or as you say, if the
        name was too common they might modify the name adapting the womans name
        in fromt or bakc. In part of my family I belong to the Pavel Valyo's to
        seaparate us from the other Valyo's. Ironically there is only one old
        nasty man in the village with that name today!

        Ron

        J. Michutka wrote:

        > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
        >
        > At 09:37 PM 12/8/99 EST, you wrote:
        > >From: JArcher360@...
        > >
        > >In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
        > >surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
        > >telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would ever
        > >really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
        > >why that practice was in use? Caroline
        >
        > >From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
        > husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
        > farm. A variation on this seems to have happened in my own ancestry: male
        > Pavlik married female Fiuri; from various records (mostly baptismal records
        > for a couple of generations), it looks like this couple took on the Fiuri
        > family farm/business (address was given in the records). And the family
        > last name became Fiuri Pavlik, sometimes Pavlik Fiuri, for a couple of
        > generations. There were TONS of Pavliks in this small town, and at least
        > two other branches did a double last name; I didn't track their addresses
        > to see if it was another instance of property going to the son-in-law, or
        > just a way of keeping all those Pavlik families straight.
        >
        > I think there was an instance in the descendents of a Jewish rabbi where he
        > had no sons, one of his sons-in-law followed in father-in-law's footsteps,
        > and took his father-in-law's family name as well.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
          It looks like I have two sisters marrying different men, of course, and in
          both families the surname changed to the wife's maiden name. When I finish
          researching this, I may understand more -- but there is a hint that the
          sisters' brother, whose name was written John (rightly) Doe, might have been
          adopted or otherwise not qualified for full inheritance of the parent's
          property.

          Andrea