Re: Church Latin

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 8, 1999
      Have you considered hypnosis? :-) I remember asking my great-aunt what
      happened to my great-grandmother's two husbands, and that she promptly told
      me, but I completely forgot what she said. She died shortly thereafter.

      You are getting very sleeeeeeeepy........

      > In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
      > surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
      > telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would
      ever
      > really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
      > why that practice was in use? Caroline

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
        At 09:37 PM 12/8/99 EST, you wrote:
        >From: JArcher360@...
        >
        >In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
        >surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
        >telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would ever
        >really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
        >why that practice was in use? Caroline

        From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
        husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
        farm. A variation on this seems to have happened in my own ancestry: male
        Pavlik married female Fiuri; from various records (mostly baptismal records
        for a couple of generations), it looks like this couple took on the Fiuri
        family farm/business (address was given in the records). And the family
        last name became Fiuri Pavlik, sometimes Pavlik Fiuri, for a couple of
        generations. There were TONS of Pavliks in this small town, and at least
        two other branches did a double last name; I didn't track their addresses
        to see if it was another instance of property going to the son-in-law, or
        just a way of keeping all those Pavlik families straight.

        I think there was an instance in the descendents of a Jewish rabbi where he
        had no sons, one of his sons-in-law followed in father-in-law's footsteps,
        and took his father-in-law's family name as well.

        Hope this helps.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
          << From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
          husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
          farm. >>
          Just to add my two cents, this is probably correct; I know this was also a
          custom in Italy and perhaps it was widespread. I also know in Italy
          sometimes a wife's maiden name was added before or after the man's just
          because the man's surname was so common, it was a way to distiguish who his
          descendents were. I know that my Slovak grandmother-in-law's surname was
          Sebej Koval, and the family lore is that Sebej was added because Koval was so
          common - perhaps a Koval married a Sebej somewhere along the line.
          Robin Hannig
        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
            Yes, I have heard the same. The woman's family name would be adapted if
            the woman's family was much better off than the mans family; if the
            woman's family name was in danger of dying off; or as you say, if the
            name was too common they might modify the name adapting the womans name
            in fromt or bakc. In part of my family I belong to the Pavel Valyo's to
            seaparate us from the other Valyo's. Ironically there is only one old
            nasty man in the village with that name today!

            Ron

            J. Michutka wrote:

            > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
            >
            > At 09:37 PM 12/8/99 EST, you wrote:
            > >From: JArcher360@...
            > >
            > >In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
            > >surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
            > >telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would ever
            > >really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
            > >why that practice was in use? Caroline
            >
            > >From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
            > husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
            > farm. A variation on this seems to have happened in my own ancestry: male
            > Pavlik married female Fiuri; from various records (mostly baptismal records
            > for a couple of generations), it looks like this couple took on the Fiuri
            > family farm/business (address was given in the records). And the family
            > last name became Fiuri Pavlik, sometimes Pavlik Fiuri, for a couple of
            > generations. There were TONS of Pavliks in this small town, and at least
            > two other branches did a double last name; I didn't track their addresses
            > to see if it was another instance of property going to the son-in-law, or
            > just a way of keeping all those Pavlik families straight.
            >
            > I think there was an instance in the descendents of a Jewish rabbi where he
            > had no sons, one of his sons-in-law followed in father-in-law's footsteps,
            > and took his father-in-law's family name as well.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Julie Michutka
            > jmm@...

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
              It looks like I have two sisters marrying different men, of course, and in
              both families the surname changed to the wife's maiden name. When I finish
              researching this, I may understand more -- but there is a hint that the
              sisters' brother, whose name was written John (rightly) Doe, might have been
              adopted or otherwise not qualified for full inheritance of the parent's
              property.

              Andrea