Re: (S-R) Last Hope Research

  • Mebjwb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2003
      Dear Members of the List,

      Research: Pavlik (Zemplen), Orslavsky (Ung)

      To all of you who have so generously contributed your time and help to my
      inquiry looking for my maternal Grandparents. I want to share some great news.
      An absolutely marvelous discovery.

      A wonderful woman from western PA (near Pittsburgh) has been following my
      research on Slovak-Roots. She Instant-messaged me last night in an effort to help
      in my research. While on-line she found my Grandmother on the Ellis Island
      Passenger list on her return visit from home in 1905. I had seen this in the
      past, but ignored it because I was looking for 1903 or 1904, and the age of
      Grandmother (31) was too old. However this is Grandma traveling with son
      Michael, daughter Helen and young son, John (born out of U.S.)

      She happened to be traveling with my informant's Father's cousin from HAZIM.
      I assume this is her home town or village. Her Grandparents also came from
      Zemplen and Ung, and she herself has traveled to Hazim.

      Can anyone tell me is the LDS History Center has records for the RC Church in
      Hazim and what the file numbers might be?

      She also made a suggestion as to Grandpa.

      For those of you who have access, she discovered on EllisIsland manifests, one
      Gyosgy Pavlik, arriving on SS Weimar from Bremen, September 3, 1898. He was
      born in Zemplen and was RC. He is shown on Page 286, Line 10.

      I am almost willing to accept him as Grandpa, except for some doubts I am
      hoping one of you can help me with.

      Gyosgy--Translation Please? Could this possibly be Joseph, or is it George?

      His age should be 21-23, but it looks like 28 (too old).

      Can anyone transcribe name of "Place of Residence"? In printed text it is
      just shown as Haz (obviously they could not read it either). It looks too long
      to be Hazim.

      Can anyone translate the name of the sponsor, or why there is the name
      "Michal Hudak" at the end of the line. Who could he be?

      My last reservation is that he was going to Lebanon, Pa (which is near
      Harrisburg), and I know that Grandpa was headed for the steel mills near Pittsburgh.
      That makes me doubt if he is my Grandfather.

      I already got hooked on Josef Pavlyik going to McKeesport with his brother
      George. However they were from Bovoszlo which is not Zemplen. Also I never
      heard of a brother George living in PA or elsewhere in the U.S. I have not
      completely discounted this passenger, but I do not have a "good" feeling about him.

      Should I be thrilled with finding Gysosgy or should I be wary and keep
      looking?

      Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

      Marge B.

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2003
        At 01:30 PM 6/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >Dear Members of the List,
        >
        >Research: Pavlik (Zemplen), Orslavsky (Ung)
        >
        >Can anyone tell me is the LDS History Center has records for the RC Church in
        >Hazim and what the file numbers might be?

        I believe you are looking for Hazin:

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=698631&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

        >She also made a suggestion as to Grandpa.
        >
        >For those of you who have access, she discovered on EllisIsland manifests, one
        >Gyosgy Pavlik, arriving on SS Weimar from Bremen, September 3, 1898. He was
        >born in Zemplen and was RC. He is shown on Page 286, Line 10.

        I should be Gyorgy, which is Hungarian for George or Gorg.

        >His age should be 21-23, but it looks like 28 (too old).

        If you look down the age column, the writer shows 18 clearly for one
        passenger, I think his "0's" look like "g's" and "1's" look like cursive
        "l's". It looks like he wrote 20. (i.e. 40 on line 20). If you check the
        column his "3's" are distinct.

        >Can anyone transcribe name of "Place of Residence"? In printed text it is
        >just shown as Haz (obviously they could not read it either). It looks too
        >long
        >to be Hazim

        It looks like Hazim but should be Hazin. He got carried away with his
        penmanship.

        >Can anyone translate the name of the sponsor, or why there is the name
        >"Michal Hudak" at the end of the line. Who could he be?

        There is a chance Hudak belongs to the person a couple of lines above. For
        Gyorgy, I Believe the relationship in the column for relative and location
        is "acquaintance" but I can't make out the location. It looks like the
        same place as line 16 was going to. Perhaps some native Pennsylvanians can
        get the location of the acquaintance. It looks like "Conn" and below
        "valle". Connelsville comes to mind but doesn't seem to fit. There
        doesn't appear to be a name associated with the acquaintance, just a
        location unless I'm wrong and Hudak is the acquaintance and was added
        because it wasn't entered initially.

        His entry continues on the next page also but it just gives the county,
        nationality, religion, etc.

        John M.