Villlage name

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 1999
      Is anyone familiar with a town called Kis-Szeben? I am trying to discover
      the modern Slovak name. It was probably what we would call the deanery
      headquarters for a subdivision of the Kos~ice Diocese that contained a tiny
      hamlet that has disappeared, Saroska Nyarsardo, and may have the Roman
      Catholic records for the area. I am tracking a family named Michik from the
      hamlet.

      Thanks,

      Andrea
    • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
        << Is anyone familiar with a town called Kis-Szeben? >>
        Hi Andrea,
        I don't know if you know this already, but in a Hungarian Genealogical
        Research document from the LDS FHL the list Kis-Szeben as having been a town
        in the former county of S�ros Co., Hungary. The document only lists the
        "Former Important Cities and Towns", so I would guess this is a relatively
        large city in that area. Perhaps this may narrow down your search.
        Oh, also, if you can get to the FHL catalog, you can put in the name and if
        there are films for it, it will tell you the former place name and the
        current place name in the description of the film. I found this out the hard
        way looking for my "sovar", aka Solivar. I tried looking for you on at the
        familysearch web site but using the fhl catalog online is very flaky and i
        couldn't get it to work right.
        hope this helps,
        Robin Hannig
      • MarthaSol@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
          The new or Slovak name of Szeben is Sabinov. It is north of Presov. Before
          WW1 it was part of Hungary.
          I've been trying to get info from a recent city directory or phone book
          from that city. Surprised that travelers to Slovakia can't bring one back to
          USA or is that restricted material ?
          Anyone know if there are genealogy groups in Slovakia ? Or is there little
          interest since they "know where they came from"?
          Martha@aol
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 1999
            Hi, I don't think the Family Search website knows that I exist. Kis Szeben
            was easier than many of them -- I had just puzzled it out when my friend Joe
            Armata confirmed it. The word Kis means Little, so I looked for a phonetic
            match to Szeben in the area, which was Sabinov, a good sized town. I have
            not checked yet but the Family History Library ought to have records for
            that place. My experience with the LDS database is that it is great when
            you know exactly what you are looking for but not until! :-)

            Andrea

            > << Is anyone familiar with a town called Kis-Szeben? >>
            > Hi Andrea,
            > I don't know if you know this already, but in a Hungarian Genealogical
            > Research document from the LDS FHL the list Kis-Szeben as having been a
            town
            > in the former county of S�ros Co., Hungary. The document only lists the
            > "Former Important Cities and Towns", so I would guess this is a relatively
            > large city in that area. Perhaps this may narrow down your search.
            > Oh, also, if you can get to the FHL catalog, you can put in the name and
            if
            > there are films for it, it will tell you the former place name and the
            > current place name in the description of the film. I found this out the
            hard
            > way looking for my "sovar", aka Solivar. I tried looking for you on at
            the
            > familysearch web site but using the fhl catalog online is very flaky and i
            > couldn't get it to work right.
            > hope this helps,
            > Robin Hannig

          • pp19552000
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2002
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Andrea Vangor" <drav@... wrote:
              > Is anyone familiar with a town called Kis-Szeben? I am trying to
              discover
              > the modern Slovak name. It was probably what we would call the
              deanery
              > headquarters for a subdivision of the Kos~ice Diocese that
              contained a tiny
              > hamlet that has disappeared, Saroska Nyarsardo, and may have the
              Roman
              > Catholic records for the area. I am tracking a family named Michik
              from the
              > hamlet.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Andrea

              Hi Andrea,
              We are researching Michik's too. We would love to hear from you
              to exchange info. Please contact us at pp1955@...
              Thank you, Rick and Dolores
            • John M.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 22, 2002
                At 11:30 PM 6/22/02 +0000, you wrote:
                >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Andrea Vangor" <drav@... wrote:
                > > Is anyone familiar with a town called Kis-Szeben? I am trying to
                > discover the modern Slovak name. It was probably what we would call the
                > deanery headquarters for a subdivision of the Kos~ice Diocese that
                > contained a tiny hamlet that has disappeared, Saroska Nyarsardo, and may
                > have the Roman Catholic records for the area. I am tracking a family
                > named Michik from the
                > hamlet.

                The current name for Kis-Szeben is Sabinov.

                John