The Wall of Honor at Ellis Island

  • Fred Corbett
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 1999
      There are many of you that have wondered when the genealogical records
      of Ellis Island would become available. Some of the information is now
      available: The Wall of Honor. Is on line with a searchable data base

      I did a search on the wall of honor database and found there are 24
      Kral�s listed, 3 Smida�s and 27 Corbett�s.

      Other information will be added and made available in the near future. I
      think this is a very exciting revalation

      Fred

      http://www.ellisisland.org/

      The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc. invites you to
      explore Ellis Island and its fascinating immigration museum.

      http://www.wallofhonor.com/

      Reconnect with your own immigrant heritage and discover ways to honor
      your family for posterity on The American Immigrant Wall of Honor� and
      research your family's arrival in America at The American Family
      Immigration History Center�.

      http://www.ellisisland.org/history.html

      YOUR FAMILY'S HISTORY WILL COME ALIVE AT THE AMERICAN FAMILY IMMIGRATION
      HISTORY CENTERTM

      The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc. has announced the
      development of an exciting new family genealogy facility. To be housed
      in the Ellis Island Immigration Museum, The American Family Immigration
      History CenterTM will use state-of-the-art interactive computer
      technology to bring the immigration records on ancestors who came to
      this country as long as a century ago to one's fingertips.
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 1999
        I correspond fairly regularly with the people in charge of the
        database..... and they have made it clear that they will -not- give
        detailed info on donors to the Wall of Honor to anyone for privacy
        reasons. What they will do , if you write to them is give you the name
        and city/state of the donor. From there it's up to you to find them in a
        phone book or somehow.

        They cite privacy reasons for this, and it won't be any different with
        the database on Ellis Island itself.

        Remember, the Wall is to honor your relatives only; it was never
        concieved as a genealogy database. Probably many people listed there
        never came through Ellis Island proper, but may have come through Castle
        Garden, or just let out on the wharfs of Manhattan (depending on the
        year).

        There is a guide to History of Castle Garden/Ellis Island on my Helpful
        Hints webpage, url below.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 1999
          Hello all,

          I was just at Ellis Island in September. There will be a database
          on-line by the end of next year that will have, at least they say, the
          names of the immigrants, their town of origin, names of family left
          behind, who they were traveling with and how much money they had with
          them.

          l hope it all comes true......

          Mark

          "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"